Yonex Nanoray 700 FX / 700 RP (NR700FX / NR700RP)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by demolidor, Jun 30, 2011.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Are you using the same sting on the 1.0? Nice write-up btw ;):cool: (though there should be no Toughlex in the shaft, probably more the addition of X-fullerene instead)

#381 demolidor, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  2. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

yeah, same string at the same tension on the PT 1.0.
    I have three PT 1.0 and they're right now strung with nbg99 @ 28, nbg95@26 and Zymax 67@27.

I find that nbg99 gives me the most power with a nice sound. Hit the sweet spot and it generates good power. Zymax 67 is the nicest for accuracy and delicate net play. Nbg95 kinda is neither here nor there.
    (Nbg 99 is more similar to bg80 than not.)

Im also currently monkeying about with a Head Metallix 8000, which is not half bad for the asking price.
    I have tried many rackets, but the PT 1.0 seems to suit me best. And for when it gets heavy, i switch to the Carlton VTT. Will write about them up in due time. They both have very obviously different characteristics and complement each other rather well.

regards,
    asmd.

3. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

Recently bought a 700FX. Curiously, it plays kinda similar to my MX60. Very nice racket, but I am not sold on the strings I have on it (ZM70).

BTW, BP with strings and grip (wet BP) is around 290mm. It is more of a balanced racket, not a super head light like Yonex says.

4. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Been playing with NR700FX(s) for 2 months now. Really cannot believe how well it suits my game, I don't know if I will ever find a racket I like more.

As the post a few posts above says, control is amazing. Smashing power and accuracy has also improved tremendously, it seems I favor a mid/light headed racket for maximum swing speed to obtain my most powerful smash.

Currently stringing them with BG80 Power @ 25 lbs (restrung them 3-4 times by now!)

May try a BG66 variant when my reel is done...or go back to ZM62, or even plain BG80.... Not that I don't like BG80P, just want to find the ultimate combo :D

5. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

Exactly what I found with the 700RP, best replacement for MP99 that I could fine from Yonex. 100% agree on you that it's more even balance than head light.

6. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    On the discussion of balance point....

Mine's 283mm with Yonex towel grip covering wood only and strung. Weight is 93g - 10g less than the Voltric 9s I was playing with before!

7. stealthy1

stealthy1 Regular Member

Not to dig up an old thread here, but I got my hands on the new design 700RP today from the booths at AE2013. I gotta say, much better in my opinion than the orange/black combination.
    I bought it for GBP160, pre-strung with BG-65Ti (at I don't know tension); 4UG4. Might not seem that cheap, but considering I got a free thermal bag with it I can't really complain.
    The 700RP I use is 3U, but I am shifting to playing with 4Us as I pretty much only play doubles.

DSCN1254.JPG DSCN1255.JPG DSCN1256.JPG DSCN1257.JPG DSCN1258.JPG DSCN1259.JPG

EDIT: the photos show the coloured areas to be orange when in fact it is actually a deep red...my point and shoot must be weird or something. There isn't any orange on it at all.

#387 stealthy1, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  8. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    You paid how much?? :p

I like the older one better. Anything red and gold is a cop-out. :D

I kinda wonder about the Nanoray series now with the intro of the ArcSaber FB. With the FB they took the weight primarily it seems from the shaft so it's probably more head-heavy than you'd expect, but I'd be curious about the swing speed of the FB vs the RP.

Psychological speed vs actual speed. :)

#388 Maklike Tier, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  9. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    I like the old color scheme on the NR700RP better. Seems more contrast to me.

I am actually planning to get a NR700RP to replace my defensive doubles racket, I am going to retire my old MP21.

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Yeah, agree, the old RP was more stylish and eye-catching. This one has a, er, Li-Ning-ish look to it, to my eye....

11. stealthy1

stealthy1 Regular Member

Well, price-wise, when I bought the 700RP when it came out I got it for $200+tax=~$225 CAD. The conversion rate is about 1.53, so roughly $240. It did include a free bag so I think overall the price is similar...I expected it to be more expensive than in Canada. I might have paid 150GBP...I forget. LOL

If you ask me the FB seems like a good concept, but I can't say I trust it enough yet given the amount of success the NS/NR has had over the years. I have a VTZF as a strength racquet and I find that I still play with much more ease in generating fast shots with the 700RP.

12. amiguy

amiguy Regular Member

Digging another old thread and old model up when FB is the headlight boom. Sharing is caring and I’m bored :p

Been playing badminton since young but was never into rackets until I started earning my own money. Bought NR 700 FX about 1-2 years ago. 3U and G5 SP version strung with BG-66 then NG98 (love thin gauge). I like the colour and finishing of it BUT they don't last :crying:

First play, it felt so different (previously I was playing with Sports Toto -> ProAce - > Gosen - > TI-3).

Adjustment(Self) - I need to adjust myself to this new racket, it is longer! Had some tough time adjusting to where to grip to avoid mis-hit on the top and bottom of the frame. The frame (4-5 / 7-8 o’clock) itself where "toughlex" is is thicker as well! I tend to hit a lot of shots with the frame lol - which result paint chipping off. Perhaps it’s just me – n00blet :eek:

Control – The "toughlex" really toned down my confidence around the net. I often choose to lift up the shuttle instead of doing net play but I’m getting use to it now and forcing opponent lift instead. Placement shots are pretty good with this, slow and steady for the winner.

Clear - Easy as a breeze, I don't need a lot of effort on pushing the shuttle to the baseline.
    Defense – Due to the lightness, I am able to respond to most of the smashes either by pushing it back to the baseline or change/push the direction of the shuttle (turning defense to offense when the smash is not steep enough).

Drive – Never thought driving is lethal until with this racket. Even driving from the back court, I can do back court corner box to opposite corner box on net level with little effort.

Drops – Sometimes sharp sometimes not but the accuracy is there. Love the cross drop shots.

Smash - Can't use this for single game, too head light to rely on. Double wise, I can generate a decent smash to get a kill at times from the back (I don’t feel it’s whippy given the shaft is medium/flexi or I’m just not a hard hitter) and definitely great for front kill.

Unfortunately I can’t compare and rate this racket, I only play once a week and this is my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] racket bought with my own money. So far I like it.

13. howdidoo

howdidoo Regular Member

Reading lot of posts saying in real play, NR700RP and NR700FX are not much of a difference except for the obvious Flexibility. Also, ppl still feel NS9900 is a better buy even today?

14. mzheng168

mzheng168 Regular Member

that's what i felt as well. my NR700RP is 4UG4. i only use the original grip and the balance point is 300mm!! but it swings really fast and the power is there too. i think i am going to keep this one for long time...

15. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

Totally. Very happy with my two 700rps, will re-evaluate when both break.

16. thinklabs

thinklabs Regular Member

Broken 3 700fx/RP in the past two months. Some of these clashes are very very minor and still they broke immediately. None of other rackets broke. Before this I used NS9900 for three and half years and never broke anything. Just a warning to those who are getting the rackets. For me I am never buying any nanoray. Also I have heard similar stories on Arc FB.

17. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    I have broken 2 FX's and 2 RP's now... one very scarred FX left.

Bought 2x 2nd hand NS9000X's instead.

Real shame as they are fantastic rackets, just nowhere near durable enough to play men's doubles with!!

18. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    I find the shaft flexibility pretty much the same tbh, both very stiff. The big difference is the flexibility of the head on the FX caused by the Toughlex resin - which I have grown to hate. Everything feels so dead. RP feels so much better.

19. Zapirian

Zapirian Regular Member

I've had a pair of RPs since Apr 2012. Had a few minor clashes but mostly play at club in doubles, and few games in lower league mens doubles. Can't say I've had any reason to doubt their durability anymore than my old Musclepower 99s. Hope they aren't as weak as others have found as I've found I adjusted well to them from the MP99.

20. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    In addition to the 4 I've broken, Birgit Michels has now broken 3x FXs in 2 days here at the London GPG.