Qiu Zihan (邱子瀚) / Liu Xiaolong (刘小龙)

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by nkt0811, Nov 23, 2012.

1. julianng

julianng Regular Member

surprisingly this pair have not beaten KKK/TBH before...

it appears their head-to-head record is 0-6 in favor of KKK/TBH including a straight set loss to KKK/TBH in this year Korea Open 2013..

but then again that's just KKK/TBH for you...

2. sportstar

sportstar Regular Member

the correct chinese name is 邱子 not 邱子翰

3. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

What's the Chinese equivalence of a Grammar Nazi? Just kidding, didn't even notice the error, good spot:p

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  5. Stratlover

Stratlover Regular Member

They really excel in the drive/push game at the front of the court. Both players are very quick to crouch and drive back shots that most players would block or lift. LXL in particular anticipates well and is great at lunging forward and to the sides.

However, I don't think that they are actually faster than the other pairs, they are just extremely aggressive and move forwards at every opportunity. If I was coaching a team to play against them I would probably suggest using flat lifts and deceptive pushes instead of mid court drives. I have seen quite a few times when they are both charging towards the net and caught by a simple lift and forced to play a weak drop or high clear. Once the other pairs start to figure this out, they will need to change their play style a bit and learn how to rotate better.

On a different note, this pair also seems to use gamesmanship a lot. They like to glare and use delay tactics. If you look at 20-all in the first game in the India Open MD finals against LYD/KSH, you can see them simultaneously start wiping sweat off as soon as Ko hits his serve, after being in their ready stance. There's no way this was a coincidence, especially after the Koreans had won two points to make it 20-all. I believe the umpire should have awarded the Koreans the point, especially since the Chinese pair did not even have their hands up.

6. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Yep. Really impressing how both pairs - especially the chinese - were playing net shots while the opponent were right in front of them.

They really "believe" in their skills at the net. As an amateur like me I would just call them all riskful shots :p

But I totally agree that LXL swiped the sweat at 20-20, G1 in a very very bad moment. I don't know if it was intentionally. Maybe a little bit. Or maybe pure intention? We will see if he's going to do something like this again. It's unfair and not sportsman like. Let's hope he has noticed that his move was going too far.

7. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

These two are certainly not habitual offenders like WSX. I'd give them the benefit of doubt.

In the match against Danish pair, the Danish receiver seemed to have signalled for delay, QZH (?) hesitated but could not hold back and served to the wrong court. I though the umpire should have given a let. But nothing happened and the Danish won the point. The Chinese players had a puzzled look but just moved on. With this as an example, I don't think they are the type to take little advantages.

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Really can't agree with that post....well, parts of it. They don't actually play a whole different style, they just refuse to lift very often. If you watch older matches of LYD/JJS and KKK/TBH the style is actually somewhat similar (with LYD/JJS defending more and better, though).

However, they don't have weak smashes. QZH actually has a pretty powerful smash. In the 2011 WC he got over 260 several times iirc - with only JJS and FHF getting over the 280 mark and only Fu encroaching on the big 300.
    Also, LXL isn't skinny at all. Just look at those legs :D The only match where he isn't the most muscular on court is when they're up against Ko Sung Hyun :D
    He does have a slightly unorthodox technique though, playing his forehand with a grip turned slightly towards backhand, and moving with his toes pointed inwards most of the time. Still, it seems to work well for him....until his hips or knees refuse to take that battering any longer ;)

9. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

i personally don't think their glare is somehow 'aggressive' to called as a violance act, at least until their recent last match. i even rarely seen them glare to their opponents. when they won point they normally just shouted out and clap hands with the partner to encourage themselves, which i think is normal. but again, it's just me. :)

about the delay tactics, although it surely dirty, but it's just part of tactics and strategy to win. and as it became something pretty common nowdays, i do't think it has big effect anymore to players game, especially for experienced players like LYD. still, it would be nicer if all players used this tactics lesser and lesser.

#69 bad's fan, May 1, 2013
    Last edited: May 1, 2013
  10. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

BWF should learn from the NBA >: P
    implement a shot clock and taunting rule
    1. 30 seconds max between points, no more lets once the player raises their racket
    2. Anything deemed as inappropriate can be immediately punishable by yellow cards

this way the players get to breathe between points, but can't act like Boe and Mogensen

btw, LXL/QZH only really seem to do the whole "gamesmanship" play towards Boe/Mo, and really stare back at them
    If anything, this adds more character to this pair and kudos to them for having a spine and stand up against bullies on court

Otherwise, against any other pair, they're alright, don't think they delay any more than other pairs, and don't think they really "taunt" other pairs in a malicious way.

Many pairs pump themselves up by shouts and fist pumps, which only shows how into the game they are. But straight up taunts like the Mogensen smashing the shuttle back when the other pair is only passing the shuttle back, or Boe's hideous smirk and pointing when the other pair makes a mistake is extremely rare.

11. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Agreed - I just watched the game and it was quite interesting to see how LXL/QZH present themselves on court. Even when called on service faults, they respect the service judge's decision and just confirms with them on the fault so they can correct their serves.
    Quite exciting to watch this pair play - pure aggression! :)

12. RedShuttle

Following their Sudirman Cup debut, LYB disclosed that their nickname is Deuce King.

Looking at the match results, they do win a very high percentage of deuce situations. They lost the last duece game to Thien How Hoon and Wee Kiong Tan at last year's Hong Kong Open. Then they started their 7 deuce game winning streak right from the next game in the same match.

LYB mentioned something about their style of serve and receive as one of the reasons.

13. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Not an impressive debut in the SC as they struggled to find their rhythm against a tactically aware IND pair. Nevertheless, I'm sure they will be happy to get this win under their belt and get on with the tournament. LYB would probably be a little concerned with their lack of ability to adjust to the flow of the match though.

14. RedShuttle

Their Sudirman Cup debut was underwhelming but good enough. Team responsibility is especially heavy for Chinese players.

The Indian pair played somewhat unconventionally, that puzzled QZH/LXL. PVS did the same to WYH. The key here is that they passed the mental test.

15. madbad

madbad Regular Member

The difference was Liu/Qiu was expected to mow down the IND pair with little resistance while we already knew Sindhu had enough pedigree to give WYH a fight. You summed it up perfectly with the term "good enough", but this level of good enough won't cut it as the tournament progresses.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The MD was certainly a bit strange to watch. A LOT of errors in the first game, I was wondering the whole way where the Indians got their points as they never seemed to actually score :D
    Maybe the Chinese were a bit put off by the lack of flat&fast? They seem to do better against pairs playing rather flat defense and struggle against those employing blocks to the net player's backhand and soft shots around the body....

17. visor

visor Regular Member

yes, that was certainly interesting... kinda like rock/paper/scissors game :D where team A can beat B that can beat C that can beat A :D

the IND must be commended for their tactical play though... to be aware of the gaping holes in their opponent's formation must have meant that they had studied Qiu/Liu's play videos beforehand ;)

18. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    They both like a good fist pump, squat and roar!! Not very becoming. More like footballers than badminton players.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

It's ok, they're still young and full of emotions, being new and the underdogs.

I'd rather see that than some DEN players who jeer and point a finger at their opponents when their opponents make a mistake.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

This pair has truly stamped their authority in top MD level. Being able to play flat and fast or smash and block, they can take on any pair at their game and win. Well, except for the IND pair in early Sudirman Cup stages where the IND pair played an unconventionally tactical game to punch through the gaps in the rear court. :p

Their smashes are almost as hard as XC and FHF and their reflexes and shot selections are incredibly and naturally lightning fast.

If they continue playing like this, I don't see how any other pair can beat them...
    except for that IND pair. :)