Glen Waverley Sat. 7:30-10:00pm Titan Badminton Club

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by ashley, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Chee_Khang

Chee_Khang Regular Member

Student
    Is the club still running this Saturday night since there is the Victorian Graded??

2. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    should be, most of the Titans players arent entering in the tournament

3. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    .. Fixture is out, and guess what, you and jacob are facing Greg & Damien first up :p

... and its knock out and not pool, so if you loose your first round you go to the lower grade.

4. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    Yes, Titans will be playing this weekend as usual.

5. ShyYen

ShyYen Regular Member

BadmintonHolic
    man, wtf! they gave us a bye 1st round? Does that mean we are stuck in C grade!

6. anjoooo

anjoooo Regular Member

Pretty sure that if you lose your first actual match it means that you will go into the lower grade. So if you have a BYE first round, and then lose the next match in round 2, then you will still drop to D grade. At least, that's how we do it at the Melb Uni tournaments.

7. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    No i think the SHY is right, looking at the knock out tree structure, if you are in the round of 32, and you are playing against the winner of a game prior to that, then the loser of that game will already have taking one of the 16 available spot in lower grade knock out.

... its a good way of stopping some people from throwing their first game to get into a lower grade :)

#407 vienb, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  8. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Good to see you are happy with the fixture. :p

Since it's knockout round, I think I should finish my games very early (I predict 2nd round for me if my 1st round A grade opponent decided to go trophy hunting. :eek:).

Hey wanna go for lunch? YumCha or Hainamese Chicken Rice at Kotaraya? :)

9. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler

Man talk about trophy hunters, never seen so many people trying to throw their first game to get into a lower grade. :)
    .. and what the heck with the Victorian Graded this year .. never played such a tough C or D grade before :confused: ... flooded with trophy hunters this year ... and the only trophy hunter entry into C/D grade rejected was Anthony :D .. and in future also me :crying: ... after winning the C single Loke Poh, shook and held on to my hands, pull me closer, gave me a stare and said "Congradulation, BUT Never email asking if you can enter in C or D again" :D

P.S. I'm having Yum cha tomorrow with my team mates from WSBA, you can join us if you want.

10. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    Monday 22 Jun 09
    -WSBA A Reserve Winner :)

Wednesday 24 Jun 09
    - CBA Section 2 Winner :)

Saturday 27 Jun 09
    - Victoria Grade Single C garde Winner :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VicGradeCSingle.jpg

Sunday 28 Jun 09
    - Victoria Grade (Double) - Yet to win :D

Trophy Hunter Tri-fecta A,B,and C trophy in the same week :)
    Look at the size of the Victorian Open Trophy .. its worth the wrath of Loke Poh :D

11. keenweisam

keenweisam Regular Member

Enjoy your a55 whoopin vien? Looks like you are missing the trophy that's in my hands... You and Anthony were disappointing... I expected more from the famous trophy hunters. Then again with the way u played, I wouldn't call your participation in d grade trophy hunting at all ...

12. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    You cheated :) ... you forfeited when jacub went missing, so we cool off and got ready for yum cha lunch, then you made us play you cold on a court where Loke Poh was eying us, offcourse we were going to tank it ;)... Can't trust people in the medical fraternity these day :p

Yes you did stop me from getting a B Double trophy, but unfortunately it was the D Double that i really wanted to complete the collection ... and it was Oscar that rob me of that, but i had my revenge stopping him in the single event :p

#412 vienb, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  13. keenweisam

there there... it's alright, better luck next time.

14. Hagane

Hagane Regular Member

Transport Consultant
    Oscar and partner were running you ragged! :p
    I avoided that strategy and instead trying to let your partner run ragged instead, but failed :p.

Was funny seeing you try mixed doubles against them too :D

15. ShyYen

ShyYen Regular Member

BadmintonHolic
    Anyone who saw D grade in the Vic Open this year would have been fooled to believe it was either B/C grade with the amount of good players in the draw. The tanking by the Mens Doubles and Mixed Doubles pair in the first game so they can get into D grade was so bad, it was comical to watch.

Played badly anyhow, but at least me and Vien can say we didn't tank any games and won/lost everyone of our matches with blood, sweat & tears.

16. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler

I officially declared shy to be the ugliest mix partner i've evered had :D
    You're right i was really bugged in that game, because they both had good smashes i though we had a better chance if i come out attacking instead of playing defensively... but just ran out of joice :p

17. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    Unfortunately not in Victoria, thanks to Loke Poh :crying: ... i learnt the hard way that he's not someone you want to mess with ... he holds a grudge like you woundnt believe :)

18. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    The funny thing was that there were way more juniors playing on sunday (A/B) then Saturday (C/D) .
    Thats right i played both days and always aimed for the higher grade in single, C on saturday and A on sunday so Loke Poh should just get of my back :) .. i only tank in double cause the partner wanted to :D ,
    Face it Shy, if we didnt face of with that really strong team that ended up winning the C grade first up, we would have tanked it anyway ;)

19. keenweisam

I'd have to agree with Loke Poh though. In my opinion, you are way too strong to be playing in C or D grades. A/B is your level, and there has to be some monitoring of players entering grades that are simply too low for their actual standard of play. If it is a new partnership, then perhaps consideration with regards to playing in a lower grade (not too low) could occur, but imagine getting Walklate/Bui entering D grade just because they are a new combination...
    But in all honesty, I'm not sure why you would bother entering the lower grades Vien. Personally I only aim at the grades in which I CANT get a trophy (e.g. Open/A), and work to achieve it, rather than having all these C and D grade trophies... they are a disgrace to put on display at home... why would you want a D grade trophy unless you were actually a D grade player?
    I personally was disappointed with Jacob and my own performance on the weekend, I feel we should have done better in the first match against Damien and Greg (I made way too many errors, Jacob played really well), and if we had beaten them, we would have continued to do well in A grade.
    Dunno... just not sure of this "trophy hunting" mentality, and can't seem to understand why people would want trophies for the sake of having trophies, particularly if they say D grade (no disrespect to D grade players).
    All in all, I think that as players, we should have a fighting spirit, and aim for higher... rather than aiming for lower grades.
    Looking forward to competing against you (or partnering you?) in future comps Vien. I don't think the recent comp enabled you to utilise your skills to best effect.
    - Greg

20. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    Gee, you can really post a long message, no wonder the country's hopital's waiting list is growing ... all their staff are busy posting long messages online :)
    Greg the short answer my friend is you are a square :D .. nice, kind, respectable guy .. but clueless when it comes to fun and games.:p
    The real joy is not the actual winning of the trophy, its the thrill of defying the authoritarian badminton dictatorships, and depriving someone else of winning ..... besides the chicks a hotter in the lower grades (B & A are full of jail baits these day due to the governments recent badminton initiatives) and the people take themself less serious .. hence more fun to play :)
    .. can't stand to see another Victorian Badminton Junior having a hissy fit when loosing to me in their A single ... thats something Loke Poh should be working on.