Super Series Finals 2008.. the Grand Finale

Discussion in 'Super Series Master Finals 2008' started by Chaojidan, Oct 6, 2008.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Okay...

..got the wrong/mixed up info here..:p
    But i think bottom line is, the host city (Melbourne) had to come up with some sort of a money figure, approx. US$250k, to cover the event (heck, might as well call it a down payment):p..no??..
    I meant the city of Melbourne was turned down/didn't qualify because they couldn't come up with the cost to cover all the necessary SS Finale requirements, which are required by BWF. Thus BWF selected KK, because KK supposedly will be able to cover the cost to host the event...
    to be continued??..:p...:)...:p
    No lah, ants, we're just having a friendly banter here just to kill time before the SS Finale......;)

#141 ctjcad, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Hope there will be no complain to KK

:):):) It's great that KK will host it. Hope there will be no complain to KK. :):):)

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

How much money do I need to stage it?

ctjcad ... You cannot call it a down payment. Perhaps I didn't make things clear enough. :eek:

Let us have an analogy...
    I have written a musical play. I will allow you to stage it. You don't have to pay me anything.
    But please don't make my musical looks bad. :):):)

So what are you going to do? Some questions you would ask could be;
    (1) How much money do I need to stage it?
    (2) How many people would come to watch it?
    (3) Can I afford the time and effort to stage it?
    (4) Will I make a profit from it?
    (5) Can I afford the money if I make a loss?

If you call the above expenses (money and time ) as down payment, then let it be so...
    So what you have said about the down payment is not for BWF.

:):):)

#143 chris-ccc, Nov 22, 2008
  4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^I understand..^^

..the analogy...I'm speaking abt "down payment", figuratively.;) And it is not for BWF (have i mentioned that??); rather on the AUS/Melbourne side. It's a proof that i'm able to **at least** acquire/hold the event it (just like a property). If i have no proof of doing so, how can i hold the event/acquire it?? Whatever profit i get from my holding the event, through my "down payment", i will keep (in case of automobiles, electronics, i will lose value).;)

We'll see lah, chris@ccc. I'm also getting tired of this fun little banter (while waiting for you to answer my earlier simple question:);)).
    I'll hope for the best, this event won't be cancelled and the place will be filled to max. capacity during those 3 days.:cool:

#144 ctjcad, Nov 22, 2008
  5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Badminton is more popular in Malaysia

:D:D:D What was your earlier simple question again? :D:D:D

Btw, I think KK can do it without problems... Because Badminton is more popular in Malaysia.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Okay, here it is..^^

..it might've gotten lost or wasn't clear (post #133). Simple yes or no or combo..:p:

With all that's happened, in the last yr or so with this SS Finale, do you think/feel BWF has approached & run a good process in presenting this event??..

If you don't feel so, how would you have done it differently??(this is an optional question/answer)

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I think that BWF has tried their very best for promoting Badminton

Question: Do you think/feel BWF has approached & run a good process in presenting this event?
    Answer: I think/feel BWF has tried their very best. If I didn't think so, I would have got myself involved with BWF (perhaps, joining their committee) to organise things differently.

#147 chris-ccc, Nov 22, 2008
  8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Thank you for answering..^^

..i definitely had a strong feeling you would answer it like that.;) Since it's a bit of an ambiguous/diplomatic answer (no clear yes or no), i would say it falls under the yes & no answer....am i correct??..:confused::)

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

BWF is doing OK

BWF is doing OK. If members here at Badminton Central are not happy with BWF, we should get ourselves involved with BWF to change things.

Complaining without action can never change things for us.

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Concur..^^

..working & changing things for the better is definitely something we baddy fans should achieve.
    But IMO, before that, there should be some sort of admittance that there have been shortcoming, things that haven't gone the way they should or there have been things that should have been organized/handled better....In other words, there should be some sort of responsibility. Without acknowledging the shortcomings, it means that everything is "perfect" (and we all know nothing is perfect in this world)...do you agree??..:confused::)

Btw, i just noticed our Krisna just walked in...i don't know what else he'll put forth...:p:) ;)

#150 ctjcad, Nov 22, 2008
  11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Complaining without action can never change things for us

Glad to acknowledge BWF's shortcoming. As I have said before...

If we are not happy with BWF, we should get ourselves involved in BWF to change things.

12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Ok, let's go back to the main objective of the Super Series.

It was said that Super Series was established to do 2 major things:
    1. enhance popularity of the sport globally.
    2. enhance the players' earnings thru a higher minimum prize money

Basically, objective 2 is the driver of BWF's targets. If you get 2 right, you will see objective 1 be met and improved.

I remember last time they even set up bwfsuperseries.com website, and countries have to commit to having telecasts of at least semis and finals matches for all super series events.

But now, that website is defunct after only a year, and looking at how Astro handled it yesterday, even rugby world cup takes centrestage and our badminton telecast was interrupted after 3 matches. And let's not even talk about the recent BWF power struggle.

If BWF couldn't even get the SS Masters Finals (well, that's what they call it) to be hosted at other locations, locations that might not be popular with badminton right now, how is the popularity of the sport going to improve?

One suggestion is as mentioned by pjswift, the budding host country (with some assistance from BWF) must sell the idea to the tourism industry. And the tourism industry can provide competitive packages for tourists to come and join the fun. BC forummers and fans would then travel the earth to be part of the experience as long as costs are reasonable.

And once you fill the stadium, surely at least the costs could be recouped, not to mention some royalty from live TV rights ......

13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Sorry, what I meant was objective 1 is the driver of BWF's targets, and if you get 1 right, 2 will be achieved automatically.

Too engrossed in PAW strategies, I had the objectives upside down. :p

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Objective 1 is the driver of BWF's targets

:D:D:D That's for sure abedeng ... You are too engrossed in your PAW strategies. :D:D:D

You even said that pjswift said that budding host country is to get some assistance from BWF.
    Check this out again. :):):)

15. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    No, I said that they should get some assistance from BWF, that was my own comment, in addition to pjswift's tourism industry suggestion. That's why I put it in brackets.

Yup, still second guessing my PAW, I will miss the final this afternoon. :(

16. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    ctjcad, I don't agree with many things [though not all] of what chris@ccc wrote. His way of thinking and values are just not the same... What he saw as ok, was obviously not ok for some of us. But I do agree with the talk regarding "it is better to do something than just complain".

One day in the future I think I should just run for the BWF Presidency... :p hehehe...but as our ancient Chinese ancestors said: improve yourself first, then improve your home & community, then improve your country, then improve the world... We, in INA badminton, are in the midst of really improving ourselves [our home & community, in this respect]... ;)

We think we already elected the right person to take INA badminton forward. I'm not inside PBSI right now, but I have enough connections in the INA badminton world to know that positive dreams and realistic action plans are being drawn and coordinated right now by the new management [that will take power January 2009]. We won't make the stupid mistakes that BWF has done. :rolleyes: We're not going to announce things before they are good and ready. We're just going to coordinate and execute things well... we will concentrate on actions that produce results... We should first show BWF how badminton should be managed! :)

If you ask me whether INA badminton is well run today, the answer is no. So before we go further and criticize BWF too much more, I think we better clean out our won mess...:p we can criticize BWF some more later.... ;)

#156 Krisna, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^So..^^

..is bu Yanti (from PBSI) on the way out, starting in January??...:p ;)

I think bottom line is, i would not mind if there's a balance approach in our discussion/point of contention (an acknowledgement of shortcomings as well as the positives)..:cool:

18. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Krisna, I am really jealous of INA badminton. Without being well run, badminton could still consistently contribute World and Olympic Champs for INA.

In contrast, when BAM was most professionally well run, our best achievement was the last Thomas Cup victory in '92.

19. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Thats the difference between Desire and Politics.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

What is good for politics is sometimes very bad for sports

:D:D:D And what is good for politics is sometimes very bad for sports. :D:D:D