Pics of me from the China Open last year.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by TheComedian, Jan 8, 2014.

1. catman

catman Regular Member

Can you post it - maybe if you can do some commentary - it would be very helpful to recreational players like me. Who really not sure what I am seeing or what I'm not seeing - insights from a pro would be awesome. Hey maybe you can even charge a couple of bucks! Help fund your training!

2. TheComedian

TheComedian Regular Member

Badminton Player/Coach
    If I post it I'm not going to charge people for it :p the thing is, I live in china, so no YouTube. I have a VPN on my iPhone but it's not fast enough to upload anything. I will try to get some video when I go play the CIC in Hainan in a few weeks.

3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

What you said in this thread is interesting Comedian. But It is possible that your analysis of the Canadian badminton's situation is not accurate, because analysis is not only based on experience. You declare that the ranking system and the lack of National training center are responsible for poor results, but there might be other factors. What you describes in your Asian experience is related to deep cultural foundations, something not easily reproduced in the West, and not solely dependent on organizations' structures.
    But we can nevertheless learn a lot in comparing the different ways of doing, so if you could open a thread to expose what you know of the way Chinese play badminton that would be good. Europeans, who have very structured badminton organizations, could share their experiences to.
    Also, it is my understanding that National organizations dependent on public money are very political, and the way you talk is quite refreshing but might inhibit some of your prospects there!

4. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    Well, not just the ranking system and the lack of a national training centre. Also, the lack of coaches willing to DEVELOP players. and players willing to be developed :p What coaches do we have? There are two chinese coaches in Canada I am aware of. One in Toronto from the Hunan Provincial Team in China. And one in the Clear 1 centre in Vancouver. Both of these coaches charge 60 plus dollars an hour. They are only in Canada to make money. They're not interested in actually developing a player for Canada. Andrew Dabeka and Bobby Milroy are doing the same thing. Badminton coaching in Canada is expensive, inconsistent, and the coaches don't really care. And as far as I know, we don't really have a national team, so there is nothing to train for. So why spend the money for training.

My point is, to change this and create a culture in Canada for badminton. It's going to hard and take a while, but it can be done.

5. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    That is where I have to stop you for a second, you say that coaches here are only doing it for themselves and not for the players. How can you make such a general statement that spans the entire country of Canada? Yes I am positive that some coaches may just be doing it for the money but believe it or not 90% of them are doing it to develop the players. It is true that taking lessons is expensive here but also you need to look at the cost of living at the same time. Many coaches here give players deals when they are committed or even of the high level sometimes giving them multiple private lessons for free. I am sorry but your statement about that is false that they are not here just to make money.

There have been many reputable coaches in Canada not just Chinese ones. 2 examples from me are Ardy Wiranata and Kim Dong Moon are 2 coaches that I personally have had, still training under Ardy and trained under Kim for a little while. I also have to say this, just because a player was top in the world does not always mean they will be the best coach or know how to coach properly. That being said some coaches just cant coach certain players its inevitable. There are lots of great coaches in Canada, many of them from Asia (Indonesia makes of the majority of them) who were high level players and who have produced many top level players in Canada. Who was/were the last Canadian players that you got the chance to play and what were your opinions on them?

That may seem like a loaded response but you may have a skewed view on Canadian badminton, its true that it is not as professional or high level as it is in countries like Japan, China, Korea but it isn't completely as bad as you make it out to be. There are problems with it I agree.

6. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    Well, things may have changed since I've been in China. but I do not think the percentage is as high as 90. I would say 50. if it was 90 we would have a few good players right now but we don't. We don't even have a national team. nobody is funded by the government.

My coach in Canada was Lance Hunter. He started coaching me a bit before I moved to China. He is a good coach and not crazy expensive because he has a normal day job. he is a high school teacher I believe. he has developed a few youngsters in Kitchener.

was we need is a national team coach, on government salary. why doesn't park ju bon or Kenneth Jonesson come coach in Canada? we don't have a national team and his salary would come from the players, not the government.

7. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    How was the tournament in China? and did you hear that David Snider made his comeback at the Canadian Nationals to win the title again.

8. Shuttlecock101

Shuttlecock101 New Member

I can list a multitude of international level coaches coaching in Canada... Ardy Wiranata, Kim Dong Moon for a while, Wang Wen, Sandiarto and Ronne Runtalalo at C1, Jacky Ruan, soon Rudy Widjaja, plus a ton of Indonesian and other asian coaches in Ontario and plethora of extremely competent retired Canadian players who had success on the international stage. To be completely frank, and "not to be rude" as you said to nbonkowsky earlier, I don't think you have the experience, knowledge, or technical expertise that would be required to "change badminton in Canada". It is easy for you to dismiss talents like Alex Pang, Stephan, or any other Canadian players online, but they have results whereas you, quite simply, do not. I believe Bobby was top 20, Alex as high as 115 without ever playing far beyond his junior years, David Snider upwards of 85 as well as doubles, mixed, and women's singles players who have had success. Your career high of 520 really doesn't give you the right to talk down to them, and neither do your match results. If you're so sure of yourself, feel free to participate in our Nationals and we'll see how you stack up. :p

9. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    right and where did they compete? Pan America. Where do I compete? Asia. Mmmmmm. There seems to be a very big gap in playing standard. So before you go flapping off your big mouth you should be able to rap your head around the fact that Asia obviously has better players then in Pan America.

Yes, and congratulations to David Snider. I like his playing style :) I heard he injured his hand and was out for a really long time. It's cool to see him back in form. Maybe he can get out to some tournaments.

The match in china was a big fail lol but I haven't gotten back into form yet from that huge holiday and my big waste of time in Malaysia. I'm going to take some time off tournament play to get back into shape. Perhaps a year or so. My ranking will go away :( but I will build it up again. I have to move away to earn some skrilla, then I will move to another part of China. I will be training with a provincial team in the future so I'm excited for my new "plan" I guess :p