BC Thomas/Uber Team Tournament (Kwun-Drifit Cup)

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2010' started by abedeng, May 14, 2010.

1. BJOOI

BJOOI Regular Member

marketing
    By the way, I'm Benji, using this username BJOOI

2. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The Return ..... of the Loh

The greatest thing about this tournament, is that we managed to, err, coax a previously hyperactive BC traveller to "come out of retirement" and make the effort to cross the causeway.

Yup, after almost 2 years of "hibernation" since the Beijing Olympic Games, Loh is back.

Despite having to wait overtime at the airport for his "chauffeur" (due to Malaysia's titanic battle with Denmark), Loh is still on top of his game, partnering Germany's huge great hope (Hagen) to beat the best of Chinese BA. :D

3. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Yes, no wonder we heard shouts of "Singapore Boleh"....er I mean "Singapore Also Can" reverberating around the hall !! :D

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thank you brother. :p

And you're still in top form, this time perched high up on the umpire's chair as Referee/Umpire such that no player or his manager dares to lodge any complaint. The only complaint was ironically initiated by you, not found in the BWF Laws of Badminton, I'm afraid.

And this relates to the match between Hagen and I and our most worthy "CHN" opponents. You threaten to take away our winning point for accusing us of "intimidating" Terry, the umpire of our match, to mop the floor on our side, maybe as a delaying tactic and to distract our opponents. As Referee you are the chief judge in Reflexworld Supreme Court and no one else could challenge your verdict.That would mean an embarassing and most unacceptable "duck's egg", in fact 9-"kosong" for Team World.

Fortunately you were magnanimous and accepted my explanation and "returned" the solitary point to us. :D

But my return meant that I need to get a new camera to replace my 5-year-old fugus-infected Nikon D70 to be able to capture our historic event. The salesman conned me into buying the Canon EOS 550 but I have no regrets. It is lighter and I even manage to take pictures without a tripod that needs someone to help me carry about. :D

5. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

hey.....i dare to attend, but not feeling well during the trip...i want to be there to...a'hem, mop the floor, and whack the umpire...:D

Korea uber team heals my dissapointment for unable to attend the get together...:p

Thanks to madbad cuties!!!

6. epaphroditus

epaphroditus Regular Member

limsy did a pretty good job :D Better than his play on court.......hehehehe

#186 epaphroditus, May 20, 2010
    Last edited: May 20, 2010
  7. epaphroditus

Have some photos to share but don't know how to upload them. Anyone?

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    1. You need to scroll down to "Manage Attachments", click on it.

2. Then the boxes under "Browse" will appear for you to click on and attach your pictures. Make sure your pictures are of acceptable size as indicated. I reduce my pics to only 25% of their original and have to accept a less than perfect result.

3. After attaching your pics, click "Upload" and wait patiently. When all pics have been uploaded, click "Submit Reply" shown below "Manage Attachments".

Have fun! :)

BTW which state in the US are you from? ;)

9. epaphroditus

Thanks a lot! I am from Atlanta, Georgia.

10. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

HAHA.. that court mopping part was funny:D

Maybe limsy would wanna consider be a part time court mopper for tournaments in Malaysia?:D..jk;)

11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Classic Match 1: kong-19/badfever vs cyclone9/joseph

Hmm, it seems that non of us described how the matches went, other than the scoreline ......

Let me describe some of the memorable classics, wakakakaka ...... :D

Classic Match 1: kong-19/badfever vs cyclone9/joseph

The veteran Aussie pair brought together a hundred years of "living" experience, and it really showed on court. The first half of game 1 was really competitive, until cyclone and joseph brought in a category 9 storm into the picture at the final 3rd. Game 1 went the cyclone's way, 21-15 despite a huge effort by kong-19 to manage the net.

In game 2, the Malaysians seemed overconfident. :eek: Badfever used up all his aching muscles to apply pressure on the hurricane to backcourt, which put the Malaysians in disarray. kong-19 was not under pressure at all at the net, and was able to play some delightful kills. The Aussies capture game 2 21-11, at the cost of zero reserve energy.:p

In game 3, it was a battle between street-smart uncles against a rapidly recovering typhoon. Initially, the Aussies were able to play at their own pace and controlled the rallies for a quick 7-3 lead. Enter the Hurricane Katrina, and cyclone9/joseph took 8 of the next 9 pts for a 3 pt lead at the intermission. The Aussie uncles fought hard to close it but mistakes from fatigue brought down their campaign.

Malaysians won 21-15, 11-21, 21-15 but they now have a healthier respect for the uncles.

12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Classic Match 2: Ants/Terry vs Scann/choyonn

Classic Match 2: Ants/Terry vs Scann/choyoon

This was the last match of the competition, with Malaysia already leading 7-1. Nonetheless, this match was billed as one of the most closely contested matches in the history of BC competitions. It was also a grudge match against "Malaysian traitors" since Ants/Terry combination is originally a Malaysian "crack pair" that had been bought :eek: ..... yup, everyone has a price, it seems. :p:D

The match was played at furious pace, and shuttles were seen flying threateningly towards Kim, the umpire of the match. The pairs were equally matched in power, but Scann/choyoon could not easily penetrate the World imports' stingy defences. Despite Ants, err, reported injury, the World pair took game 1 comfortably at 21-17.

It was more of the same in game 2 and the World pair were just 2 points away from the match at 19-17. This was before a litany of mistakes (or is it a time activated injury to Ants :p) forced the game away from them. The Malaysians took control and breached the previously impregnable defenses 21-19 to force a decider.

Momentum having shifted, it was another close battle in game 3 but by this time, Scann/choyonn had the initiative.

The "loyal" Malaysians prevailed 17-21, 21-19, 21-19.

13. epaphroditus

Malaysia Boleh "MOP" :D:D:D

14. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Classic Match 3: Hau-ge/chris (ctjcad) vs limsy/keonloh

Classic Match 3: Hau-ge/chris (ctjcad) vs limsy/keonloh

It was a battle of mismatched pairs, the heavyweights of the World against the finweights of Malaysia.

Before the start of the match, the Malaysian camp was very concerned with the abilities of these two "challengers". Chris had put on a lot of, err, muscles since his last trip here at the World Championships 3 years ago. Not to mention his legendary "de-centralized training" over the past two weeks in and around the Malaysian Peninsula, covering all sorts of Malaysian food. :D

As for Hau-ge, it had always been known that he benefit from tactics and training learnt from the Indonesian Thomas/Uber Camp. And as we are all aware, Indonesians are the most tricky badminton exponents in the world.:eek:

The "light as kite" Malaysians held the initiative early with fast moving limsy managing the frontcourt and keonloh pummelling from behind. Occasionally, over-exuberance cost limsy dear when he smashed to his own court ala table tennis. :p At other times, his 6 inches high "powerful jumping smash" didn't manage to pass the net. :p

But despite the limitation, the World pair were forced to do hard running, huffing and puffing backwards and forwards, side to side and thus were unable to rotate well to bring their guns to bear. By the end of the match, Hau-ge didn't just lose the match, he lost his shirt ....... :D

The Malaysians had an "upset" 21-14, 21-15 victory.

#194 abedeng, May 20, 2010
  15. epaphroditus

Secret training session by some the World Team members at the official venue 3 days before the competition. Sadly, their efforts didn't affect the results :crying:

Attached Files:

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I love your commentary adebeng.. Kudos! Next time you should sit next to Gillian and replace Burgess...

And yes.. my injury is real.. and im still nursing it. Not Ala Lin Dan or Chen Jin... ;)

17. epaphroditus

Menang Kalah tak apa, tapi itu gaya mesti ada! (Win or lose is secondary, but one must have the picture perfect posture!)

Attached Files:

#197 epaphroditus, May 20, 2010
  18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Thank you again for the baddy session..

..just want to say, once again, thank you to the organizers (mainly samuel882 & danielwong) for putting & arranging all the logistics & all of this together..And also for loosai for providing a venue for us and allowing us to use the venue for the gathering..

Thank you again for the rest of the members who've helped, participated and sacrificed their time and schedule to join us and make this event possible. Without your attendance, none of this would be possible! It was great to meet you all!! A good memory to cherish for sure!!:cool:

Looking fw to the next big BC baddy gathering & hopefully the next one will break the current one for the number of BCers for a baddy get-together!!:):cool:

Just a few pics to share (a couple short videos will follow soon):

BC baddy session & satay party..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ants practicing to become an official BWF umpire..

[​IMG]

MAS and World teams jockeying into their positions to do battle..abedeng & samuel882 trying their best to get everyone on the proper side & not cheat and jump to another side..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..that's the official "basket 1", "basket 2" and "basket 3"..

[​IMG]

The official shuttlecocks; if not mistaken, we used 2 different brands, both speed 77 which was, imo, s-l-o-w...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2 veterans getting their swing..abedeng and 1984AllEngland..

[​IMG]

jen (pjswift's friend) and limsy also not to be outdone..

[​IMG]

Preparing the satays and condiments (pickles and peanut/chili sauce)..Those are foam plates in the clear blue plastic bag..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Devouring the satays!!!..

[​IMG]

Yes, all 400+ satay sticks in there..

[​IMG]

Pics of the RefleXWorld venue..For parking, basically there are several parking spots in the front and the rest are around the building..A few of us had a bit of trouble finding the venue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During the numerous award presentations..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#198 ctjcad, May 20, 2010
  19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yeah
    we are the underdog
    before this match
    i off from badminton court 3 weeks
    sleep at 3am++(thanks to chris chit chat:p)
    didnt have my breakfast:crying:
    luckily we won it:)
    i not good at the back court when under pressure:)

i like this photo:D
    thanks uncle

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

:p..pardon for missing your name. Besides your name, also missed out on pjswift, Jen, flyingfox, Haru..and maybe a couple others..
    ..pardon us for coming in late; but as far as i recall, all 9 matches ended within 1.5 hrs (started close to 10am and ended around 11-ish). Much shorter than expected. Appreciate, anyway, for helping out with the last minute pairing arrangement..