Ajay Jayaram अजय जयराम्

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by skchen, Jul 10, 2010.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Jayaram credits John for career revival
    Suhas Nayse, TNN | Aug 30, 2011, 03.52AM IST

Full story: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...hn-for-career-revival/articleshow/9790593.cms

Excerpts:

..."My confidence has really boosted by recent brilliant performances. Few people expected me to reach pre-quarterfinals in London and last four in Vietnam but I was confident about good show as I trained hard for the last few months," Jayaram told TOI on Monday.

The 23-year-old is back in Mumbai early on Monday and immediately rushed to see the doctor for treatment.

"While playing in Vietnam I suffered injury because of which I lost a close semifinal against World No. 9 Sho Sasaki of Japan in three games. After the scan today, the X-rays revealed there is a muscle tear in my abdomen. Doctor has advised me to take compete rest for few days," he said.

...The tall and athletic Jayaram attributes his career revival to Tom John, under whom he has been training hard in Lucknow. The former chief coach of England and Portugal national badminton teams has now shifted his base in Lucknow.

"I credit my success to my parents and Tom John. He (John) is responsible for making lot of positive changes in my game. Earlier I used to lose matches after dominating early but he told me to be patient and play aggressively. I am benefited a lot under him. Earlier also I had trained with him in Portugal. My whole attitude has now changed and results are there to be seen," he reasoned.

Jayaram has a packed schedule this season. Apart from playing various international tournaments, he will also turn up for Germany's leading Hamburg Club as their professional player.

"I have a contract to fulfill for Hamburg Club. I will be there for two months (October-November) and another two months early next year. When I will be in Germany, I am also planning to compete in European circuit," he said.

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Ajay Jayaram pulls out of China Masters.

India's No.2 shuttler Ajay Jayaram has pulled out of the China Masters after suffering an abdominal muscle tear.
    Jayaram said he got injured during the Vietnam Open.

"It happened during the quarter-finals and felt some pain in my lower abdomen as I attempted a smash. It did not feel so bad then but after the tournament it became worse".

Jayaram said that he had been advised to rest for 10 days. Thereafter, he started training and now is back to his full schedule now.
    "I have completely recovered now and have resumed regular training. I am able to smash and move as well as before," he said.
    Jayaram also said that his chances of participating in the Japan Super Series (in the following week after China Masters) are fairly bright.

"As things stand now, I am going to participate in the Japan Super Series (starting on September 21)."

Jayaram is happy that his good showing at the World Championships and the Vietnam Open saw his ranking rise to No. 25 -the highest it has ever been.

"It is always good to be ranked in the top 25. Badminton is a very competitive sport and I am happy that I have maintained consistency over a considerable period of time."

When asked whether he had set any goals to achieve by the end of the year, he said: "I am not the one who sets targets and then tries to achieve them. I just try to play my best in every tournament."

Read more at: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/saina-nehwal-aims-to-get-back-into-top-three/1/151076.html?cp

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Japan Open: Ajay just removed Tien Minh from the tournament in straight games, 21-18, 21-19. Awesome!!
    This guy has been one of the most consistent improvers this year, and is now a qualified spoiler/floater.

Up next, he is pitted against Simon Santoso. This should be a really exciting and interesting game to watch. The difference in styles will be very pronounced, and how Ajay deals with it will show how much he has matured.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Ajay bowed out in straight games 22-20, 21-16 against Simon Santoso. Not too surprising, but it may have been a very instructive match for him, in terms of dealing with the Indonesian's style of play.

6. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    "I am not the one who sets targets and then tries to achieve them. I just try to play my best in every tournament." ???? huh!! so, who else is setting targets for him? If he himself doesnt want to be world no:1, then he will always be a nobody!

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Doing it on his own: Jayaram’s solo run to Olympics
    Sep 29, 2011

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/doing-it-on-his-own-jayaram’s-solo-run-to-olympics-95550.html

Excerpts:

He’s come out of the blind side and taken Indian badminton by storm.

Ask people if they’ve heard of Ajay Jayaram and most of them will go ‘Who’. But the 24-year-old, who hails from Chembur in Mumbai, has emerged from the crowd to battle Commonwealth Games bronze medallist P Kashyap for a chance to play in the men’s singles competition of the 2012 London Olympics.

...But he was determined to make a mark even if that meant pulling himself out of the Prakash Padukone academy and travelling the world without any financial support or coach to gather valuable ranking points.

...When Ajay started this journey back in 2008, it raised eyebrows for even his coaches, who couldn’t grasp the logic behind spending all the earnings from domestic tournaments and Indian Oil scholarships in travelling and playing abroad.

...Ajay was then hovering beyond the 150 mark in the world ranking and many coaches felt that he lacked the confidence to win big matches and hence, should work on that instead of playing too many tournaments.

However, Ajay had different designs and his parents went all out to support him in his endeavour. He used to describe that expenditure as a long-term investment and to his credit, the investment is beginning to pay off.

Ajay began the year 2010 ranked 77 and was not even in the scheme of things of the national selection panel for the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi. That meant that Ajay had to once again fend for himself after a brief hiatus in 2009 and the decision to shift to Portugal changed the direction of his career.

Ajay joined Tom John, the then national coach of Portugal national team, and got a contract with French Club Lagardere Paris Racing, that took care of his expenses to stay and travel in Europe.

The move paid off as he won the Czech Open and the Smiling Fish international in Indonesia and made it to the Dutch Grand Prix final by beating the then world number 15 Mark Zwiebler of Germany. By the year end, he had climbed 42 places to finish at 35.

Ajay hasn’t looked back since then and Olympic Gold Quest’s decision to support him has come as a shot in the arm for the world championship pre-quarterfinalist.

Tom John has added a new dimension to his game, aggression, and it is now clear why the shuttler left the Padukone Academy and shifted to Lucknow after the India-born Englishman joined the Uttar Pradesh Badminton Association’s academy as head coach.

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    A huge test for Ajay

The Denmark Open is going to be a huge challenge for Ajay. If he is really up to it, he will have laid down a marker for all other Indian MS players to pass. Also, he will put himslef in prime position to claim the spot for the OG 2012. Here's why...

The other IND player at the Denmark Open is P. Kashyap. Sadly, Kashyap is drawn against LCW in round 1, and it is safe to assume that Kashyap will not progress beyond round 1 (although strange things happen in games! :D)

On the other hand the first-round match between Ajay and Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia will see plenty of fireworks, and in all likelihood, the one with better mental power will go through. These 2 have never faced each other before. Tommy is a powerful player, and likes to attack if given the chance. Ajay likes to attack as well, but can mix it with some devious play. Physical fitness may play a big part in deciding the winner, as well.

If Ajay manages to upset the 18th-ranked Tommy, he will in all likelihood, but up against 6th seed Chen Jin of China. They have met before on 2 occasions, and CJ won through both times, but in 3 games. Depending on Ajay's physical condition, he may be able to extend CJ again. IF CJ is having a bad day at the office, Ajay could possibly even upset him.

This tournament will be a big marker in the evolution of Ajay, IMO. It will be worth following his progress here. He has the potential to be top-10 material within the next 12 months.

9. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    My bet is on Ajay to beat TS.
    TS lost to Dionysius Hayom Rumbaka in straight games 16-21, 17-21 in the 2011 Bankaltim IndonesiaGrand Prix Gold even though he was expected to win easily.
    If Ajay could stretch CJ again, he could pull an upset.

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Before the DO, Ajay is also playing in the Dutch Open, and will start his matches tomorrow. He is seeded #2, and Boonsak is the top seed at this tournament. If Ajay plas sensibly and doesn't press the self-destruct button anythime, he should be able to make it to the finals. Will he win? Hard to say! :D Boonsak is one of the guys who has been on the circuit for a long, long time and if there is one thing that Ajay can learn from him, it is how to consistently play to one's potential.

It might turn out to be a valuable lesson for Ajay.

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I just read this:

Ajay Jayaram eyes Dutch Open title
    Suhas Nayse, TNN | Oct 11, 2011

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...yes-Dutch-Open-title/articleshow/10308812.cms

Excerpts:

The withdrawal of top seed Boonsak Ponsana at the last moment has certainly boosted Ajay's title-winning chances. The world No. 10 of Thailand has pulled out because of back injury.

Ajay had done well in the last year's Dutch Open when he finished runner-up in the men's singles after losing a close final against Sho Sasaki of Japan. However, this time around, Ajay is confident of completing the unfinished job of last year.

"Defeat in the final in 2010 is a thing of the past for me. I am playing well this season and hoping to do even better this year. The draw is good for me. There are certain very good players but I back myself to go the distance," Ajay told TOI on Monday.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Ajay cruised into the quarter-finals, where he was ambushed by local hero Eric Pang in an nail-biting 3-setter. He will be disappointed he did not go the distance, as he had hoped he would! :(

Here's an excerpt of the report from the Badminton Europe website...
    http://www.badmintoneurope.com/news_item.aspx?id=54530

Excerpt:

The biggest cheer of the day came for home favourite Eric Pang (pictured) as the Dutch number 1 advanced to the semi final in an epic three set encounter over Ajay Jayaram of India. Pang looked to be cruising after taking the first set 21-11 and leading 6-0 in the second it looked to be routine for the smiling Dutchman. But back came the Indian to take the second 24-22 to send the tie into a deciding rubber. The events that unfolded next had the crowd on the edge of their seats. Pang controlled much of the opening exchanges but yet again Jayaram fought back and to a large sigh from the crowd held one match point at 22-21.

The next few rallies had everything with both players diving all over court to retrieve shuttle after shuttle. Pang, backed by the cheers of his home fans took the next three points to take the match and a normally reserved Dutchman threw his hands in the air with the relief.

“Today was amazing. I was playing so well but he kept fighting back. He has beaten me a few times in the past and I wanted to change that today in front of my home friends, fans and family. The last few rallies were really difficult but I just kept going and going and now I am in the semi final in my home Grand Prix. It is an amazing feeling” said Pang to Badminton Europe.

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Ajay is up against Tommy Sugiarto of Indonesia, in round 1 of the upcoming Denmark Open. Both are "firebrand" players, and pretty evenly matched when they are both on top of their game. It all comes down to who wakes up fresh and early on the morning! :D

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    ...and Ajay came out second best in this encounter!

What was surprising was the relative ease with which Tommy outclassed Ajay, 21-11, 21-16, a kinda meek capitulation by the standards we would have come to expect of the Indian.

Wonder how much this will affect his chances of being the top IND qualifier for the OG....

#54 cobalt, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    French Open Super Series: Chen Jin thrashes Ajay Jayaram in the Men’s Singles round-of-16
    http://blogs.bettor.com/French-Open...yaram-in-the-Mens-Singles-round-of-16-a107281

Excerpt:

The start of the first set of this pre-quarter-final contest was interesting when both shuttlers remained neck-to-neck in the first few rallies. They played aggressive and positive badminton and progressed equally in the game with the same pace.

The Indian showed that he is getting closer to the Chinese shuttler as he has improved his skills. Until the break, no one could take a comfortable lead.

After the break, the Chinese tried to accelerate his speed but the Indian was also playing at the similar level. Both shuttlers remained tight in the second half of the game until the concluding points. Jin changed his tactics and executed a few superb drives and managed to win the game with a close margin of 21-19.

In the second game, the Indian became a little slow and started to make commit unforced errors. He was missing the lines and throwing the bird out of the court. Meanwhile, the Chinese remained calm and composed and continued his winning run in the game.

16. fauci

fauci Regular Member

Watched his game for the first time yesterday. My impression is that he's an Indian version of Pablo Abian of Spain.

17. NewHighScore

NewHighScore New Member

Analyst
    You're right, but it's very sad. India is a fast growing economy and can surely afford to support sportsmen from corporate backing. (might not have been so easy 10 years ago)

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Ajay Jayaram has a current BWF ranking of 27, the highest ranked MS player from India at present. He's had a bit of an inconsistent passage the past few months, and needs to quickly improve his focus and consistency. Not to mention getting his physical conditioning into top gear.

He's got a pretty good chance of showing his A-game at the Australian Open this week, and has an even chance of getting to the semi-finals stage. If he gets there (at the expense of Simon Santoso) he will be probably meeting with top-seeded Chen Jin. These 2 players - AJ and CJ have waged some interesting battles in the past, and Ajay should have had enough experience playing CJ to know what is required to beat him.

Let's see what he and his coach Tom John are able to serve up this week. It will be a pointer to his chances later on at the India Open against much tougher opposition, and then at the OG.

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Jayaram looks to nail Olympic berth
    Bangalore, April 13 2012, DHNS

Excerpts:

...Ajay, who has a world ranking of 27, will be competing in the Asian championship in Qingdao (China) from April 17-22 and India Open Superseries in New Delhi, scheduled to be played from April 24-29 at the Siri Fort Complex. Ajay will meet Chinese Taipei’s world no 35 Hsu Jen Hao in the first round at the Asian meet while he faces a stiff first-round challenge from world No 20 Rajiv Ouseph of England in the Indian Open.

“Yes, next two weeks are very much important for me. I am feeling a bit of pressure but I think that’s always good,” said Ajay, who is training under noted badminton coach Tom John for the last two years.

...Ajay, who has been training in Lucknow, shifted his base along with Tom this month to the Koramangala Club here. Apart from Ajay, Anup Sridhar, Jacqueline Rose Kunnath, Prakash Jolly have started training at the Koramangala Club while Aditi Mutatkar and five more top shuttlers will be joining them soon.

“We will be starting an academy soon here,” said Thomas Kunnath, the chairman of the yet-to-be-named academy.

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Ajay Jayaram gears up for India Open
    April 24 01:29:14, 2012

New Delhi

http://www.mid-day.com/sports/2012/apr/240412-Ajay-Jayaram-gears-up-for-India-Open.htm

He has more or less qualified for the London Olympics but top India shuttler Ajay Jayaram says he doesn't want to count his chickens before they hatch and would go full throttle in the India Open Super Series, starting at the Siri Fort complex on Tuesday.

Jayaram reached the second round of the Asian Badminton Championship last week in Qingdao, China and is the favourite to join Saina Nehwal in the Indian contingent unless P Kashyap comes up with a stupendous performance at the India Open.

"I played well at the ABC. In the second game against Nan Wei, I used my strokes well but in the third game I slipped. Now I am looking forward to doing well here," Jayaram said.

Asked about the Olympic qualification, Jayaram said: "I'm not thinking much ahead. The Olympic qualification is not confirmed yet. Kashyap has to reach at least two rounds more than me and I am trying to put all that at the back of my mind and give my 100 per cent and take one match at a time."

Jayaram and Kashyap are separated by three spots in the world rankings and according to the qualification rules for the London Olympics, whoever is higher in the ranking list of May 3 will qualify for the quadrennial event.

The race for the Olympic berth between Jayaram and Kashyap was going neck-and-neck till last week's ABC in which the former reached the second round while the latter was ousted in the first round.

The world number 27 Jayaram feels he has to be more patient on the court and not be too aggressive.

"For past one year, I have worked on my aggression and speed and it is showing results but I have not got time to train because of the hectic schedule. I have to be more patient on court as I tend to do too much to get a point and I guess I have to maintain the pressure rather than getting too aggressive," he said.

Jayaram said if he is qualifies for the Olympics, he would have the time to work on his overall game.