BWF sanctions Kim Ki Jung, Lee Yong Dae for 1 year

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by cobalt, Jan 29, 2014.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Reynard! :p

2. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Ppl just try to find excuse or exception for their favorite player here... Don't forget that such practice is not just imposed on LYD, Kim or KBA, it applies to all badminton pro players, apply to all national associations, (apply to all players of all sports in fact). Just think about why LYD and Kim could fail such practice but not other players? Think about why just they could not do it but others could do it? Think about why they failed to do so for 3 times?

Chances had been given 3 times, but still failed to comply? What should the governing organization BWF do to show fairness to all other players who effort end to comply with the practice? If they were not punished according to rules, what will the other players think and do?

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  4. SigH-Max

SigH-Max Regular Member

From Reuters
    This is ridiculous. Inspectors' logic: you are playing overseas, so you fail our surprise drug test. They are ruining our sport, they should be banned :mad:

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Please read the report carefully. The inspectors have not said that the players failed the drug test. According the BWF, the players did not complete the test because they were not at the place they were supposed to be as per their whereabouts report.

BWF is bound by the rules for action. If a ban has been issued, it is the result of multiple violations. Either the player, or association, or both are to blame. In every case, the player is ultimately responsible.
    The rules and regulations are clearly laid out, and most players and associations manage to follow these without any issues.

You missed out on including the next paragraph, which explains it correctly:

"When the WADA inspectors visited the Taeneung National Training Centre in March and November last year, Lee and Kim were not there as they were participating in local and international competitions," Kim said.
    "We failed to submit a whereabouts report online last September as well.

Earlier in the report:

The BWF said it chose not to dish out the maximum two-year ban "due to the Badminton Korea Association's failure ... to make diligent efforts to keep the BWF informed about the players' whereabouts."

Clearly, the players and BKA between them failed to comply with procedure and regulations. The rules are applicable to thousands of athletes, and more than 99% of them have no problems with compliance.

WADA is not ruining the sport. It is administrators and players who do not take their responsibilities seriously enough who will contribute to the ruin of the
    sport.

6. Eva Fadilla

Eva Fadilla Regular Member

student
    how the saga of lee yong dae and kim ki jung??? :/

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    how to use ADAMS

[video=youtube;UmTpHy9oJc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmTpHy9oJc8[/video]

8. SigH-Max

SigH-Max Regular Member

I know how to read, thanks.
    Have you ever thought that the problem comes from the rules themselves? The whereabouts system is clearly a pain to follow.
    Do you also think BWF and their lousy round robin system was not to be blamed for the DQ of the 4 pairs at the 2012 Olympics? Instead of blindlessly abiding by the rules, one should see if they are not causing the problem to start with. Read this, for example: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/7870729.stm

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Looks like it is based on Google Calendar!! Anyone else think so?

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    The BBC story is from 2009... and, what's bizarre is that the BAC was complaining about the whereabouts rules after having agreed to follow them.

For the record, nothing resulted from this complaint. After all, the revised rules implemented in January 2009 were drawn up in consultation with (and with the agreement of) over 140 international sports administration bodies.

Note: The requirements pertaining to the "whereabouts information" are the same for all sports.

The current IST Code (International Standard for Testing) was last revised in 2012. This covers the rules for testing, identification, security, transportation, notification and, yes, whereabouts information.

As they now stand, it seems sportspersons with disciplined, professional schedules are OK with them.

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    And yet, you chose to mention that they failed the drug test? Explain.

Well, you can keep blaming everyone else for your shortcomings or for the decisions you take in life. Or, you could clearly comprehend why the rules have been formulated, and that any rule by its very existence will always give rise to an exception. Or you can also comprehend that some people will always find excuses for living outside the law.

"BWF and their lousy round-robin system" (and I agree with your sentiment :D ) has nothing at all to do with the WADA rules and regulations. Why would you want to justify one act of wilful negligence with another act of incredible stupidity? I have read the WADA rules, and the BWF regulations, 2009 as well as the 2010 amendments. They look good. They are not impossible to comply with. They are not even a pain in the butt to comply with, else a lot of other prima donnas on the badminton circuit would be unavailable for testing.

More to the point, they are necessary to ensure the game is kept clean -or at least as clean as possible. And again, the WADA and BWF initiative to educate players and associations and keep them updated with information and procedures is pretty well documented and executed.

I'd love to find an excuse on behalf of the players, but in all fairness, I cannot. The bottom line is always, ignorance of the law does not excuse. And to be honest, the players or association in this regard weren't exactly ignorant of the law, either. They were just plain negligent (you could even insert another word in vogue on forums: "arrogant") or just chose to not take it seriously enough.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  13. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Not so bizarre, with people's preconceived ideas about things, there would have just been an assumption that British athletics was not clean. With this same idea that final statement is not entirely true, They are "OK" because it is forced upon them, They still have big problems with it. (stories everywhere) http://cyclingtips.com.au/2012/02/living-with-the-whereabouts/ check out the story in this one even disciplined folk get caught out under completely understandable situations, you can see how it can happen easy.

??
    You have no Idea how many "prima donnas" have been caught out missing tests, only usually hits the headlines when 3 happen. Maybe the percentage of testers turning up to tests being missed is high in badminton. Maybe LYD and KKJ are the first people that signed up to Adams to be visited(in badminton) you just don't. Please share these facts with us, if i am wrong I apologise.

Also the excuse for players part, I can find one. Associations rule in badminton. In my opinion BWF and Wada should have made sure the actual individuals (players) were trained on this directly as it is ultimately them who have to take the punishment. I have the feeling associations will shelter their players quite a lot, therefore if the BKA shelter the players you can not expect them to be wise to all of this stuff, and in this case BKA mess up player gets punished.I don't like it.

I very much doubt LYD was strutting about in full knowledge of all this thinking he was bigger than it all.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    ^ WADA report of 2012 test figures.
    http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/R...012-Anti-Doping-Testing-Figures-Report-EN.pdf

Search keyword "badminton" and it comes up pretty clean.

Please read post #172 above.
    The point of missing tests is that to qualify for a sanction, as you know, you must miss not just one, or two, but 3 within a 18-month period. You can go through the link I had posted above. It is very clear.
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=529036&dl=1
    You miss one, it's fair to assume you are sent a no-show notice and a warning about the consequences. That's how the system works.

The list of players to be made available is prepared by BWF and published. I think it would only be fair to assume that BWF also informs the concerned associations and players. As for "associations sheltering their players", would you care to show me some other examples of this happening "quite a lot"? I'm not disputing that BKA may be guilty of screwing up here in this case, but how do you explain the fact that a player on the RTP who has filed his whereabouts information and who has received notices of no-show still manages to make himself unavailable for the critical third test as well?

You're assuming that WADA/BWF have not educated the players and associations? You're assuming the players are unaware of their responsibility in this matter? Perhaps we should ask some pro players or coaches to weigh in on this subject with their knowledge as well.

On another note, it is interesting that Craig Reedie is a VP on the IOC table, as well as having been recently elected to President of WADA.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...ackle-the-growing-problem-of-drug-cheats.html

Interesting excerpt:
    "Reedie's quiet powers of persuasion got badminton into the Commonwealth Games and Olympics, helped win London the 2012 Games, got himself appointed to the IOC executive and now elected Wada president."

#74 cobalt, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I can't see the figures of how many missed tests via testers showing up under the whereabouts system in badminton. I also can;t see who got tested with regards with whereabouts system routine and who just got tested normally in competition etc, but maybe I don't get the document.

With regards to sheltering. I have read several times about how the big associations take care of a lot of the players life. They organize everything from training to flights, food, hotel etc etc. LYD for instance has been in the team from a very young age therefore will not have developed the same "savvy" in life as other independent athletes at his age or just people in general. In badminton particularly Associations have a heavy influence for players and not many players are independent. I think that LYD/KKJ have relied on BKA for filling out their ADAMS stuff in the same way that they have been cultured to rely on them for everything else. In this respect I have great empathy for these two young guys.

You can see how they do it in other sports like cycling, cyclists in teams get suspended from the team after 2 tests untill they sort themselves out and make their last test and it is clearly the individuals responsibility.

Would be nice to get some pro players from China or Korea team to weigh in to see just how much is taken care for them, and how much they promote their players to take responsibility of their own life and consequences that result.

#75 craigandy, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  16. SigH-Max

SigH-Max Regular Member

It's because you are confusing law with justice.

17. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    LOL. Nice one! However, it's actually because I am clear about responsibility and passing the buck. But when it comes to opinions, everyone has one, doesn't he? Associations are composed of individuals, but it's strange how the individual is never at fault. (and that's my opinion for the day.)

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Lets face it, in badminton you are not even allowed to enter competitions if you are not in good standing with your association. They rule in this sport much different to most other sports.
    If an individual in a company follows bad procedures in place and causes an accident in work, Health and safety officers don't go after him.
    The reduction from 2 to 1 years for BKA negligence shows everybody what really happened here.

19. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    Any updates to LYD/KKJ appeal?

20. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I talked to somebody today who said that he believed both LYD and KKJ are indeed on steroids for 2 reasons:

1 - He observed that on the past year both LYD and KKJ were smashing much harder than previously.
    2) He observed that KKJ's face suddenly was breaking out with acne

Any comments? I haven't watched LYD and KKJ enough to notice either of these observations, but would be interested if anybody else has.