Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Chen Long is playing at the 2009 Badminton Asia Championships (Suwon, Korea)

In just a few hours' time Chen Long will be playing his first match (Round 1) at the 2009 Badminton Asia Championships (Suwon, Korea).

Will Chen Long's World Ranking move up after this tournament?

#41 chris-ccc, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Many people predict CH or XXZ will play until 08OG after the 04 edition, but they are simply wrong. Aside from the rising young guns who took over their spot, their performance also dropped drastically (XXZ especially). 4 years is a long time in sport, let alone remain in World No.1.

I think CJ and CL will be the biggest threat in the short-coming, and LD has the ability to take over anyday if he and team Chain decided to. This is not going to be easy for LCW.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

This thread is created to monitor players (outside CHN) who could challenge LCW

LCW stated that he would continue until the 2012 Olympic Games. My predictions are never that good, usually only 50% correct.

We witnessed that CHN is not that keen anymore to regain the World No.1 MS Ranking. Because of this, it seems that LCW could have a good chance of continuing to remain as the World No.1 until the 2012 Olympic Games.

This thread is created to monitor players who could come forward to challenge Lee Chong Wei.

:):):)

4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

The situation is in fact totally different... The "rising young guns" (LD, BCL, LCW) after 04 OG were much stronger than those "rising guns" today, and there are "not-so-old guns" (PG, TH, LHI, KJ) who were at least the same level as XXZ and CH. In other words, the "environment" was much harder then for XXZ and CH. :cool:

Furthermore CH may indeed be able to play till 08 if he was not kicked out of the national team (and thus lost the superior training resource).

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

That's right..

..and guess where were LCW and LD, around the same time as now, after the 2000 OG??..Can you spot their WR then??..And compare their WR before, during and after the 2004 OG. And guess how long it took for them to reach their standing, just after the 2004 OG??..

I'm not saying Dragon Chen will be "the one" to challenge LCW and all the top players or reach the no.1 ranking, but he is "one to look out for"..in the near future..:cool:

#45 ctjcad, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  6. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    That's how it should go.Chen Long is, for sure, have a great potential, by looking at his "I beat WR1 when i was seeded 100++." You can different interpretation but i think it wasn't ordinary.
    whether he's going to make it or not, it's still not the time for judgement.

Lee Chong Wei is capable to keep his WR1, for quite some times. While waiting for the juniors who can challenged him to groom a little bit more, Lee Chong Wei has less to worry about. Others are not so interested with Rankings and all.
    Lee Chong Wei and his coach should be able to secure major titles, though.
    It'll be cool, and this can shut the criticizers' mouth up.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Bold..

..i hope that won't stir up another round of "Lovey Dovey Talk" from Pemuda..;)

8. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    answer should be "NO"
    i think LCW concern now should be winning major titles,
    AE, OG, WC.....at least one of this title...
    WR 1 is nothing for him now
    like LD.....eventhough LD is not WR 1, but everybody knew he is the best around
    LCW should focus on that rather than thinking of maintaining as WR 1 on paper...

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Aside from the thread's topic, it's strange that many here see Chen Long as a threat to the top players.

Judging by his game at the India Open, he is hardly a great player. Yes, he is tall and powerfully built but his current skills are woefully inadequate to take on any of the senior players.

A fighter like Nguyen Tien Minh or Kuan Beng Hong or a clever player like Taufik Hidayat or Peter Gade would murder the Chen Long of today.

His footwork in his semifinal against Hafiz Hashim was embarrassing, although that could be due to the tricky nature of the Malaysian's game.

If Chen Long is champion material, we are talking about a few years ahead.
    Right now, he is just another age-disguised China player pretending to be a junior.

Any threat to Lee Chong Wei (or Lin Dan) won't be coming from Chen Long.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Let's have another look at Chen Long again

At the 2009 BAC (Badminton Asia Championships) at Suwon, Korea (April 7-12), Chen Long will be on show again.

In Round 2, Chen Long will have his rematch with Hafiz Hashim. This match will commence tonight, Wednesday 8-April-2009, at 8:05pm (Korean time).

Let's have another look at Chen Long again. ;););)

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    lindan already the top seed in 2004 og while lcw is:rolleyes:

how about the lazy hafiz?:rolleyes:

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2009 BAC GP Gold: HH is facing Chen Long in Round 2

If HH is lazy tonight, Wednesday 8-Apr-2009, at Round 2 of the BAC, Chen Long will defeat him. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    u mean hafiz is not lazy in india semis?:eek:

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

HH was sweating while playing CL at the 2009 India Open, wasn't he?

:D:D:D I thought HH was sweating while playing Chen Long at the 2009 India Open.
    Therefore, HH was working pretty hard, wasn't he? ;););)

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..no, i don't think anyone is considering Chen Long as a threat to the top players, at least not now..and at least not in this thread..:cool:
    Down the road, possible.
    For one, Chen Long is no LinDan. If i recall:
    - LD won the AJBC when he was 17(2000). Chen Long won his when he was 18 (2007).
    - LD became the World No.1 player when he was 20 yrs. old (2003), just 1 yr before the 2004 OG. Chen Long is already 20 yrs. old and he's ranked below the #100s.
    Perhaps not enough exposure for the young talent??..
    ...yes, i know LD was already the top seed in 2004. But do you know where he (and LCW) were ranked just after the 2000 OG, around the same time as now (April 2001)??..I've put a link to the MS World Ranking in the previous page, the post with datas shown (links in the middle part)..

16. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Chris, a quick one. Does Chen Long have the guts to challenge the world beaters?
    India Open isn't the only venue to judge him.His game with Chong Wei in 1st round and hafiz in semifinal are different.
    So, overally, does he?

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    do u already saw the match of lcw vs cl?:confused:
    if no,why and how can u say it is different?:confused:

18. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Obviously, the result is different. He lost to Chong Wei and won over Hafiz.
    See the difference?

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    u say,his game is different.not this:the result is different:rolleyes::confused:;)
    anyway,hafiz have major title,lcw have ZERO major title
    see the difference?;)

20. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    How he played the game? lead to what's the result of the game? The collaboration of these two is pretty simple.

I am asking if Chen Long could be a big threat, without looking too much on his won over Chong Wei. He couldn't even beat Hafiz.
    (I gave him the credits he deserved, he played well and Chong Wei wasn't, for whatever reasons)
    But, I'm looking forward to see what others' think of this guy performance for the upcoming days.
    limsy, give me a break.