Badminton Etiquette after a match

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by chris-ccc, Feb 14, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Thank the opponents first before going off celebrating

Sorry that I have come across as so rigid, saying that winners shouldn't celebrate with teammates and coaches after winning.

What I am saying is thank the opponents first before going off celebrating.

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Just an idea!

In case of uncontrolled outburst of joy whenever one wins,

this particular player should thank and congratulate the other player before the match starts :D

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

A good 'sportsmanship' gesture after a match

If this is the case, then he would just pack his bag and go.

But it doesn't seem right. Why? Because the loser is expected to congratulate the winner after a match (as a good 'sportsmanship' gesture).

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Always have a handshake with your opponents after the match

I was coaching some new trainees and gave them a game of Doubles to play at the end of the session. When the match was over, the losers didn't go to the net for handshakes with the winners.

I said to them: "Always have a handshake with your opponents after the match". They were puzzled and said is it necessary?

When I said: "If you have no opponents, you won't have a game to play, so say thanks to them for playing".

They thanked me for reminding them, and said that I am correct that we should never forget to give thanks for a game (whether they have won or lost).

I felt quite happy that they understood why we need to have the handshake. :):):)

5. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

This is such an important topic. I would think this is common sense? Hand shake and or tht..... Having said tht, hand shaking is not part of the Asian culture eg, the Japanese will bow. If you go meet a Taiwanese, Japanese or even some malaysians, the first thing they do is to hand over their name card. wht the top professional players do on tv will almost certainly be imitate by us sooner or later. some players will play against a regular opponents so many times on tour until they befriended each other but they still shake hand before a match. Tht to me is just a formality. It's essential to shake hands even in social matches. Just FYI, there are many golf clubs tht require new members to attend 1-day class in etiquette before full membership is given. At the end ofvthe day, it's not just good sportsmanship, it's just plain good manners. Everyone esp the experienced ones have the responsibility to educate the new comers.

6. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Astute observation.

7. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Nothing would be better than this kind of sportmanship.

8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

personnally I find that at the end of a professional tournament if the they don't celabrate wildly it is a total anti-climax. Why bother playing if your not that bothered and robotically walk over to your opponent and shake hands. Also because it's a final they have time on the podium/prize giving to thank opponent and show respect if he doesn't hang about to do it on court. If in other rounds just shake hands unless it is an epic game and the underdogs have came through in this case it is complimentary for them to celebrate so emotionally rather than shaking hand immedietaly. You are pretty morbid if you begrudge people celebrating imo.

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Very well said craigandy. Some common sense needs to prevail. How can you condemn someone who has won a huge tournament and lets out his/her emotions in the spur of the moment. I doubt the vanquished would be in any mood to shake hands then either.

In soccer/football these days, players shake hands before the start of a match so that at the end, if anything like wild celebrations happen, the loser is not left standing. The option is also available for the winner to approach the loser to shake hands.

10. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Personally, if I won a match in a BWF Ranking tournament, I would probably celebrate loudly, roll on the ground for a while, then shake hands, cause I'd be that happy!:)

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Thanking others first is more important

craigandy, so you are talking about professional tournament.

I can see your point about "if they don't celabrate wildly it is a total anti-climax".

However, I still think thanking others first is more important; and it should be in this order of priority;

1. Opponent(s).
    2. Umpire, Service judge and Lines judges.
    3. General spectators.
    4. Your supporters, coaches and teammates.

Your supporters, coaches and teammates could be always with you, but without the first 3 (above), there won't be a match/event to celebrate.

Besides, some of the first 3 (above) would like to celebrate with you too. Otherwise, they would just say - "Job done; Let's go home".

#51 chris-ccc, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

If there isn't an opponent, surely you win by default, which is the easier option surely...:p:p:p

13. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Sorry just to clarify. If i was the loser it would not bother me and I am pretty sure most players on the circuit would understand. Your point about without the 3 you mentioned, there would be no match. Trust me the genuine celebration before handshake is good for the game, it creates a real moment that is shared with spectators/judges. These moments will bring more spectators and in turn players/judges.

Ask yourself what would you like most. your in the crowd its the olympic final it has been an epic game both player been cramping up throughout last few points a real battle-

1. the winner drops to his knees in tears the crowd going wild his coaches and countrymen come and cuddle him on the ground

or

2. the winner walks straight to the net shakes hands with opponent, claps his strings at the crowd and shakes the judges hands.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I would thank the first 3 first, namely;

1. Opponent(s).
    2. Umpire, Service judge and Lines judges.
    3. General spectators.

For myself, supporters, coaches and teammates, I would celebrate later.

15. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

What do they do in other racket sports? Eg, in tennis and squash? Badminton still has a lot to learn. In super series, players travel 000's of miles to compete, though I sympathise when one loses the match, there is no hurry to leave the court. If I must wait at the net for extra 5seconds, so what? The players should be forbidden to run to their coaches after winning a match.

16. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but if someone behaves politely I don't think "they're not that bothered", I think "here is a strong person who has enough character to control their emotions". It's no good being a bad loser, and it's no good being a bad winner either. In most areas of life, the true greats don't celebrate their own greatness, they behave with humility.

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Sometimes, etiquette is not difficult to understand.

As for the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony; Greece team always match out first, and the host country team always match out last.

18. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I think you have hit the nail on the head, old fashioned. It is no longer a gentlemanly sport played amongst amatuers. It is a high octane professional sport with lots at stake. Being over run with emotions after you have given your all and dedicated your life to acheiving these wins is neither weak of character or a bad winner, it's just being genuine and is endearing.

19. chip167

chip167 Regular Member

Student
    I think tennis players are good athletes to look at for this. Whenever you see a tennis player win a big match or a tournament, there is an initial reaction to the victory where they often fall to their knees, flat on their back, or jump up and down like crazy. This probably lasts 5-10 seconds, then they immediately run to the net to shake hands with their opponent, who waits for them at the net. Then the celebrations often continue after the handshakes, whilst the loser is free to leave the court or keep him/herself to him/herself.

To me, this is the perfect way to end a match, both from the winner and the loser. :)

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

There is a $100 fine for those who don't

Today, I found this post;

I wonder if many players know about this fine. :confused::confused::confused: