The impact of bad linecalls on MSF players in KO 08 and CO 07

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Birdwood, Jan 27, 2008.

1. ssjtygrysek

ssjtygrysek Regular Member

Civil Engineering Intern
    yeah I would personally like to see that kind of sportsmanship where a player would give the next "rally" back if he clearly saw it was out. As much As I would want to win, I want to win fair without any bad line calls.

2. ssjtygrysek

ssjtygrysek Regular Member

Civil Engineering Intern
    If this is the case, I would raise my hand, and said the call was bad and the point should be given to my opponent instead of waiting to return a favor by purposely giving away the next point. A bad call is a bad call, which players are aware of, just don't have the guts to admit them when favoring themselves and the national pride is at stake.

Imaging that LCW lost MO 08 MSF to LHI in a tight match, what would have happened to Msia linesmen, who appeared to bend backwards to call in favor of LHI because some of shuttlecocks landed to close to call. Fortunately, LCW won the match, which let the linesmen off the hook.[/quote]

Sorry I really meant to say all the coaches. And yeah you are right I would have made the argument (if I was in LHI position about the call being out) but I don't believe that the umpire would overrule it anyway since the players don't have much say, but it would be worth a shot. Otherwise if that didn't work give the next rally away.

3. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Most of them, if it is too close to call like 1 or 2 inch...umpires could not do anything to correct it unless it lands on his side...already happened in earlier round between Nova/Butet vs LYD/LHI...eventhough some calls had been corrected but it made Nova very emotional and did not play focusly...actually INA XD coach blamed Nova not to focus and let it affect his play....also INA XD coach told me that it happened some calls in final between Flandy/Vita but it was too close and they knew that even they complained, umpire could not overrule....Like PG said that bad calls are part of the games....unfortunate things happen...

4. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Our Leen is the neutral spokesperson in BC so she was just nice enough to include MO to avoid any appearance of partiality, no harm done here :)

But the point is well taken that Msia may not be considered a "neutral ground" in her definition because Msia is a serious contender for baddy titles :rolleyes:

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Hi Indra, your presence on BC is very sporadic recently. I think it all starts from the top. A good leader will set the standard for his followers. In my (and most BC members) opinion, BWF is a mickey mouse operation, with slow and unprogressive approaches. I acknowledge they're trying to push badminton more into the mainstream but it's how they're going about it that's questionable? They have got to get more professional, act more professional and portray themselves a professional organization. The marketing is so staid and uncreative. I'd hate to think who constitutes their think tank.

I did suggest in another thread that every BC member contribute $10 towards helping BWF purchase the hawkeye system. :D:D:D

6. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    thank you birdwood for understanding. :D i did not mean to say that these tournament is controversial and will always be. i wanted to say that these places are more likely to be controversial because of the passion for badminton and the need to win is very high. :) sorry if anybody misunderstood me

7. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    We do not mind contributing US$ 10...but make sure that money did not dissapear like Petronas's gift to BWF...as no one knows how to track it down the fund until now....:rolleyes:

8. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

That's not fair.
    I would give 2 points back to call it fair.
    Or insists the umpire overrule it.
    I dont see any reason why the umpire wont if both players protesting for it.
    2 points man.
    That's why line call is so important to a game.
    1 wrong call actually costs you 2 points.

Right sir.

Still, there might possibilities of unintentional bad calls to be intepreted into homer calls and we really dont like to see this happens.

Didn't he ask the umpire to overrule a bad calls in favor him during a match with Wacha during MO open too?

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

How about we put you in charge :D, or set up some sort of escrow account?

10. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    :D:D No...I may end up buying LV in Paris.....:D

11. indra

indra Regular Member

Wow...how much was it? and when? ck...ck...ck...ck...

12. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

Then you may never come to watch badminton again.
    Seriously I can recognize you but not some WBF official other than maybe Punch Gunalan.
    Im sure most of the fans do too.

13. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    If I was right, it was about US$ 250K..I think Ants can fill in a bit....I think it was happening a ayear or 2......

14. indra

indra Regular Member

Hi Madbad, yes I have been very-very busy lately...almost no time to visit BC.

I guess it is time for those sitting in the leadership of BWF transfer their "seats" to younger and fresher successors...As the same problem has recurred and no immediate smart and strategic method of solving it is in sight, it really indicates that BWF needs an immediate total reform. The vision, missions and strategies of BWF need to be reviewed...Otherwise this condition will only put BWF on the brink of collapse....

15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    You need to separate the two issues. The root problem has to be solved. But the form of protest must also be right. If, to give an extreme example, Lin Dan were to physically hurt the linejudge, he would be guilty as hell, notwithstanding whether the linejudge was right or wrong.

16. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If you were implement this rule, you have to be fair by implementing in all rounds and all courts (not just on the TV court). That would be pretty expensive and it is not 100% guaranteed because a player could be in the way of the view.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's one of the thing that i don't understand about using a hawkeye type of system in badminton.

the nature of tennis and badminton are different. more often than not, the player in tennis is going to be standing away from the first ball/court contact point. so the hawkeye system has a better chance of a clear view of the contact point.

in badminton, this is not the case, most likely than not, the player in badminton will be right next the shuttle when it first touches the ground and very likely might be obstructing the view of the shuttle from the hawkeye system and on top of that, may confuse the system.

18. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    In hawkeye system, several monitors are placed around the court. You need 3 cameras (I think) in direct view of the shuttle (ie. no one blocking) to triangulate the position. Somehow, the system will recognise what a shuttle is by pattern-recognition I guess. The more cameras you place around the court, the better.

As opposed to what we have now, which is to put a camera from the linejudge point of view. It works most of the time, but sometimes, a player could be blocking the view.

19. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    hear hear !!! :p:p:p:p

20. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D FO still no where lah..............wake up Hau-ge, it's just January now.