How High can you jump.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Vijay875200, Oct 4, 2005.

1. JustinG

JustinG Regular Member

This seems like a very trivial thing that you want to improve on. Are you having problems with your jump smash? Is it not steep enough? Does it go out or into the net too often? Surely there are more elvated things you can work on in your badminton game than this!?

Cheers

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Holy bumps! :p Let me post a happy thought/memory and then go back to coughing my lungs out likes.png . Looked up at what height a bball backboard hangs and that should put me at 36-37" range in the good ole days :D (well I wasn't even training then at the end of high school years).

3. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

This thread is 6 years old, so I'm not sure you're likely to get a reply :D.

It was dead and buried until for some totally unknown reason a 15 year old female football fan joined the forum and decided to bump it with her first and only post. Yep, makes no sense to me either :p.

4. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    Vertical jump is used as a physical test for many different sports (soccer, football, hockey etc) these sports don't necesserely involve alot of jumping but the vertical jump is a very good indicator of lower body explosive strenght and power so having a low/poor vertical jump indicates that not only you can't jump high, but most likely you can't run/move fast either. The vertical jump also has the advantage of being very easy to measure so it's a very useful tool of comparison.

The thread is obviously pretty old but I prefer to see this instead of new threads being started about old questions like "how can I improve my smash???" :p

Some interesting statistics that can be used as a comparison:
    Poul-Eric Hoyer Larsen had a vertical jump of 21 inches in 1988 when he started his special training for the olympics. In 1991, at the end of his training program, his vertical jump was 25.4 inches.

The malaysian team did a study on their elite male players (ranked between 2-11 in the world for either MD or MS) and their average VJ was 16.9 inches WITHOUT using their hands which would translate to about 19.5 inches with their hands. The highest score on the elite squad was 19.7 inches (w/out the hands once again) which would convert to about 22.7 inches when using the hands.

Hope it helps

Mathieu

5. soulpx

soulpx Regular Member

Trader
    me maybe 6 inches..? oh no it cant be.

dave010 likes this.
  6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Since I don't buy this number for a second, never had the felling I jumped that high (but certainly well above average), I am going to measure if this particular one is on regulation height when I am in the neighbourhood :D (also there is an alternative height of the ground fro backboards depending on how low the rim is mounted on the backboard since there seem to be two variations)

7. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I don't have a great vertical these days. Knees can't handle the punishment like they used to ( that's I'm much heavier), but I might still get off the ground around 16 - 20" on a good day. love the jump smash!!!!

There was some photos of me back in the day where on a jump smash, the bottom of my feet were more than half way up the net with my knees pretty much straight. It was estimated that I could jump about 34" inches going backwards. At just under 5'11" I was able to slam a basketball, which gave me about a 40" vertical going forward.

I was once refered to as a white Swie King