GCisms - the Definitive Gillian Clark Collection

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by cobalt, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

She must have caught a glimpse of Ko's six-pack during an interval shirt change. ;-)

2. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

I don't particularly dislike her, but the things she says can become slightly repetitive. Like many of you, I enjoyed it much more when she was coupled with Morten Frost, having someone who can provide some insight and interesting comments of the actual game.

I was less distressed by the danish team doing commentary on court two in the Denmark Open, even though they lacked some english vocabulary, they kept the commentary low profile, insightful. Hearing Gill's predictable "Goodness Me!" for the hundredth time in a match becomes annoying at times...

3. julianng

julianng Regular Member

do you know the other commentator guy's name, is it Patrick Burgess ? who commentated during london olympics ?

4. teojb

teojb Regular Member

i think it was ian wright, bwf development manager.

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Morten Frost chuckles whenever she says that :D
    Once he also added that he liked the 'venom' part.

Quite so.
    It's surprising she hasn't yet figured out the right pronunciation when all she needs to do is ask him.
    After all, she never fails to mention from memory the phrase tattooed on Cai Yun's back :D

6. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Lately she has been talking a lot of non match related stuff when the match is going on, especially during the beginning of first game. There will be an exciting rally going on and she and her co-commentator will be taking about something else. :confused:

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Can't say who it was (there were a few during the Olympics), but I can remember her commentating with Morten Frost, Poul-Erik Hoyer-Larsen (some time ago), Ian Wright, John Burgess (also some time ago) and 'That Guy' (the dude at the 2011 WC who had no idea about the players and kept confusing Korea with Japan).
    I think during the Olympics it was 'That Guy'.
    Of all of them, I like Morten Frost, Ian Wright and John Burgess most. They all know who they're talking about, and while Morten and Ian provide more tactical analysis and observe more in a coach's manner, John Burgess' enthusiasm is infectious :D Can get annoying if he gets going about Taufik and his talent, though.

8. julianng

julianng Regular Member

hey so it's him ... ? John Burgess right...

yea his commentating is pretty okay too i think... it could be better than GC in my opinion because GC tends to be a little overtechnical about shots... sometimes it's better to let the game run knowing that many of the shots are due to the players' reflexes and I prefer them not to be explained by commentary... she tries very hard in explaining every single shot...

John Burgess on the other hand is more comedic and cheerful in his commentary, which is good to see since badminton matches are often not all about technique but also about the excitement of the game... also there are many stops in the game... like 11 points stops or game intervals... so it's nice to see some humor or tangents from John Burgess during matches... on the other hand... GC is sometimes too serious about the player's involvement and key areas of a player's technique during the match...

would definitely like to see John Burgess commentating more often next time instead of GC for a change... no offence to GC but I believe many worldwide viewers would like to see some humour or John Burgess going on tangents during the games about the sport...

also John Burgess is quite knowledgable about different badminton players... so it's not like he's blindly commentating about some players' background or making up some of his humorous comments during matches... if ESPN or astro get's him back to commentate badminton matches, we could be seeing more viewers watch matches...

---------

#268 julianng, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  9. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

10. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

"Oh dear" is right. :( Sometimes it doesn't pay to be even a little famous.

11. Ashaan

Ashaan Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Having started following the Badminton-International matches recently (1 year or so), and keep searching for the old-matches in Youtube, in-order to understand the play-strategies, started loving the commentary from GC...

It looks all the more interesting, with her excitement phrases, "Ohh my Goodness", "Goodness me", though they are quite repetitive sometime...

Just found one of the GC match video in Youtube (not her commentary, but she actually playing)
    [video=youtube;DBN_iNVqkKo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBN_iNVqkKo[/video]

12. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

"Who won of course the title in ..."
    "...if you have a record like that, do you have the inner belief?" :D

13. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I cannot describe how weird it is for an Englishman to hear Martin Tyler commentating on badminton...

14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

I only know Andy Gray and Martin Tyler commenting on the premiership match..:cool:

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    At the Denmark Open SSP, GC and Morten frost were doing their thing while Saina Nehwal played against Minatsu Mitani. Now, the news had been all about Saina dumping Gopi and training with Vimal Kumar in Bangalore, because she found Vimal to be more proactive or something. Well, GC and MF were discussing the fact that Saina was actually conversing with her coaches (Madhumita and another guy) at the interval of G2, and Morten thought it was a really good thing.

Then GC came up with this old English expression she had been trying hard to remember, to underscore the importance of communication.

"Tell me, I forget
    Ask me, I remember
    Involve me, I know".

MF: "Oh, that's very ...poetic!"

16. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Good one from the French Open:
    "...and now match points galore."

17. amleto

amleto Regular Member

fwiw, I googled it and saw it attributed to Carl Orff, Ben franlkin, Chinese proverb.

18. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

''Shia Shwansha looking a bit anxious on the coaching chair there''

19. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Enjoy this exciting find everyone :-D

http://www.gillclark.co.uk/

And credit to whoever made it :) I just need some portable speakers and Gill Clark can finally "commentate" on some of the most mediocre badminton she's ever likely to have seen :p

Griff88, kaffars, Aventus and 5 others like this.
  20. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member