California Badminton Academy exclusive preview

Discussion in 'California Badminton Academy ( CBA )' started by kwun, Apr 21, 2010.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I went to visit California Badminton Academy earlier today and had a nice long chat with the owner. Here I give you guys the exclusive look at this brand new badminton club in Fremont.

badminton clubs are popping up left and right here in the bay area, just this half year alone, we are getting 2 brand new gyms with an additional 47 courts and there are new ones rumored to be in the works. CBA is the latest addition that is planned to be opened at the end of May.

before i go into any details about the club, i want to mention a few words about the owner, Rose Lei. Rose was a former Chinese national player back in the 70s. the 70s was a time before China was able to join the world badminton federation and thus were shut out of tournaments like Thomas Cup and All England. the skill level of the Chinese players, however, is a head above other countries. the fame tour that was taken by the Chinese for friendly matches in Europe where they end up with complete victory is a proof to that. Rose was part of the Chinese team in that tour, along with guess who, Hou Jia Chiang and Tang Xinfu.

even though that was a time even before i was born, i can tell from talking to her that badminton still flows in Rose' blood. she talks about badminton with a passion, which is not different than any of us here in BC. she talks how she thinks and dreams badminton day and night, she is passionate about teaching youngster, she talks skills and she talks strategy. she knows a lot about the Chinese teams back in those earlier days. and she mentions how she is still in contact with a lot of the players. we had a long 2 hours chat and i really learned a lot from her.

her passion with badminton fuels the way she is setting up the club. the club motto of "Strong Mind, Strong Body, Strong Skill, Strong Community" captures her vision of how the club is run. her systematic and unique training methodology not only encompass skills, but also systematically build mental strength. as a top level player herself, she understands that skills alone do not win a game, badminton is a chess game that takes both skill, tactics and strategy to win.

CBA offers 18 badminton courts in a spacious 35,000 sqft converted warehouse in Fremont. the club is conveniently location just off I-880 and Mission Blvd. the choice of the location is excellent as it is almost visible and very accessible from the highway. there are a few strip mall right across from the club.

the warehouse itself offers a ceiling height of 30+ ft, which conforms to competition standard. the lighting is T5 fluorescent located above the court boundaries. the T5 lighting is excellent. in fact, taking the crown from Bintang Campbell, i believe CBA now has the best and brightest badminton club lighting that i have ever seen. as a badminton photographer i am especially excited about that.

all 18 courts will be covered with tournament badminton court mats. the total padding will be a full 10mm thick which should be adequate to dampen shock from continuous badminton activities.

coaching will be a major part of CBA. being a coach and passionate about coaching herself, Rose will have a team of 4 badminton coaches. she has designed a unique systematic and complete badminton training program for students of all levels.

with her connections in China, she is able to bring in international coaches to do clinics. i am personally very excited to hear that Xiong Guo Bao will be coming in July. Xiong is my idol who has the most amazing backhand, ever.

aside from badminton, CBA will also offer 10 tournament grade table tennis tables. she will be hiring a couple of national and provicial level table tennis coaches.

other amenities includes sitting areas, a meeting/activity room, a proshop and fitness equipment.

after my visit, i was quite impressed with what i saw in CBA and its potentials. a lot of work still needs to be done and Rose will have a very hectic schedule to meet the late May grand opening schedule. i look forward to seeing the final product!

Club: California Badminton Academy

Attached Files:

• cba.jpg
      cba.jpg
      File size:
      186.6 KB
      Views:
  2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

cool, cool..

- What kind of padding, material wise, will it be?
    - Is that white looking object on the floor the padding itself?
    - Is Rose the 1st ever ex-Chinese national player to open/manage a baddy club in NorCal?

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    looks like some dense padding material that is designed for gym floor.

no. those are probably the padding for the wooden floor board for the ping pong area.

no. Zhou Lei, the 1993 WD world champion runs a club further north.

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Another one?!!

I am amazed that there is so much demand in your area......Will USA be revived as a badminton super power in the next 10-15 yrs?

I guess with all the coaching you will be getting I have even less chancenext time we play:mad:

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. another one. i lost count on how many already, is it 14? 15?

the kids are getting better, but still no match against the other countries. it will take a lot of work.

never give up. ;)

6. NGRA2000

NGRA2000 Regular Member

Yes, the Gym is a really nice facility. I am looking forward to seeing it open soon.

On the note that US young atheltes are no match against the other countries. I was at the BWF World Junior Championships 2010 last couple of days and saw China won this year WJC. It is mostly true when US face Asian and top Europe coutries. However, there are some games which are close and the US team had a good chance winning a game or two, but overall US young atheletes have to train more. The difficulty is we do not have big sponsors like other countries. In other countries, they have sports school, so the atheletes study in the morning and train int he afternoon. Our kids have to work really hard at school and practice using whatever time is left.

7. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    will the club be opened to out of country people who want to come down for training ;)...

8. canti

canti Regular Member

Student
    Do you know how much entry would cost or how much training would cost?

9. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I believe this place opens May 22nd! :D

10. eeyore12345

eeyore12345 Regular Member

Does anybody know if Coach Lei will be coaching at colleges anymore?

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    California is getting so many Badminton venues so quickly

Thanks for the news, kwun. I envy how Californians are getting so many Badminton venues so quickly. I only wish that it is happening here in Australia.

We have associations here planning to build Badminton venues too. We have started raising funds. But our fund raising is often running hot-and-cold. :eek::eek::eek:

Having proper facilities, proper coaches and proper programs is the way the promote Badminton to new players. It looks like we could be finding more players coming from California to represent USA in the near future.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    associations as in national associations?

here most of the courts are opened by private entrepreneurs.

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

I assume Chris means local community associations.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It's our local community associations trying to build Badminton halls

Like what jamesd20 said, it's our local community associations.

When I was in Sydney, its association has a building plan drawn out, but not enough money to start the project.

Now that I am in Melbourne, I found out the same thing at a meeting just last Sunday. We have raised $300,000; it's hardly enough to build a little hut.

15. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    How much is required is your opinion?

16. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Sorry if I am stating the obvious here. All of clubs here are converted from old warehouses and on lease. So, the club owners do not actually build the building, thus lower the start-up cost. With the membership fee, entrance fee, pro-shop, lessons, etc., the clubs owners are able to turn a profit (otherwise, there wouldn't be that many clubs).

With $300k, plus enough members, plus some fine coaches, I guess you should be able to pull it off. :)

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

We think of a venue that we can call our own home ground

To be honest, we don't think of profit.

We think of a venue that we can call our own home ground.

The owners of the venue will be all our association members. It is not a business plan. It is only a community project.

It is like building a house for us to live in; not like building a house for business.

#17 chris-ccc, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  18. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

I knew that I didn't say it right. :D I don't mean for business.

I meant to say the membership fee, coaching fee should be enough to pay the rent for the community, if others are able to make a profit. :)

19. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Then, would this be even easier if you don't need to make profit?

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

For a community service, we wish for a 'break-even' project

For a business entity, it's the profit that is important. It's generating income from the activity.

For a community service, we wish for a 'break-even' project. Otherwise members of the community could find themselves forking out money for a service that is not appreciated.