Li Yongbo ( 李永波 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Han, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    If the same nation's players happen to be facing off at the quarter or semi-final stages, it's quite common for the team bosses to ask the less-in-form player to make victory easier for the more-in-form player. :cool:

Usually, this means shorter rallies... and also a couple of decisive 'errors' in the closing stages. :rolleyes:

This allows the winner to conserve quite a bit of energy for the later semi-final or final against a player from a rival nation.

Inevitably, the player asked to 'give way' is going to be quite bitter about it (especially in a sport in which form is, at best, a fluctuating characteristic). But I'd imagine that the team bosses give this question a lot of thought before they make a final choice.

And, yes, they still go wrong on occasion (e.g., Bao Chunlai instead of Lin Dan at the recent French Open). :D

It'd be very unfortunate if personal likes and dislikes dictated any part of this 'tactical selection' of the one-with-the-best-chance-of-winning.

From what I know of China, their 'ugly, unethical' but 'tactical' choice of a national Goliath is a careful and objective process. :)

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Gold for Hafiz Hashim??? :eek: :eek:

Um, not unless he can steal it :p

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    A similar scenario may develop in this coming 08 OG. XXF, lan lu and zhu lin could meet up in the semi final while wang chen, pi hong, Xu H might be in the other semi ladder. Would lyb pull another trick even if outside watchful eyes are watching?

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    You are still missing the point...LYB match fixing I understand he has to do what he has to do to win, lining up and resting his best player to beat the opposition...what I am alluding to is match fixing is wrong and to order a player to throw a game is downright cruel, simply denying that player who trained hard to advance to SF and not given the chance to play her best...whether this player has or has no chance to win is not the issue, it is the ethics...we are both engineers, ethics bound us to our profession, that is why I cannot accept CHN or LYB action, even though I understand his job is to win at all cost, with the bigwigs wielding a hammer over his head, esp when OLY gold is big...

5. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I am not too sure if LD throw the match to Bao, it was a 3-setter, Ants said Bao played well to win...I think the match was open...as good as LD, besides the resurgent LCW and TH, I would put Bao and CJ can beat LD, not everyday but the odd times, because they play together everyday, that is the advantage.

6. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Of course he would and he should because OLY08 in Beiging is big time for CHN to shine and if a gold can be guaranteed, why not? LYB probably retire after OLY08 having been the most successful coach CHN has. But match fixing, not only in CHN but in INA (as someone posted) or in MAS??? or in KOR??? or anywhere?? is not right for the players, the fans and for the sport. We know we cannot stop it, it is not illegal but definitely not agreeing or condoning this action, that is what I have been saying all along. For anyone who agree with LYB action and sayiing it is alright, that is sad.

7. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I am over 50 and she is older than me a little bit, I think...hehehe!! But she is a good player for her age.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i dont think lyb had to swear to anything before being picked as china's head coach. The only ethics he has to abide to is the lil red book:p
    From western culture point of view, it's isnt ethical, i'm not arguing wif that. As an engineer who deals with numbers all the times, any bookies would give yzy odd of winning over gzc is less than 50% given gzc's impressive results in 2000. Multiply that the odd of yzy versus CM which is also less than 50%. The odd of yzy beating gzc AND beating CM is very low. What yzy had to give up is not very much. She got a bronze. If lyb wasnt involved, yzy's odd is still a bronze. What lyb did from my prospective is just an insurance policy, just like u buy home insurance knowing full well the chance of your house NOT damaged by natural causes is very high but u bot the insurance anyway.

#88 cooler, Nov 14, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  9. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

I also don`t like liyongbo because we drove to some hours to see a badminton final and then the two men singles players didnt play due to injury.
    6 days later this to players (chinese) play another final of a (much) higher ranked tournament against each other. nobody injured.

@cooler: insurance? id on`t like this in sports.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i dont blame u for cursing lyb because of this:)

An insurance to cover unforeseen expenses due to lyb's match fixing is a novel idea;)

#90 cooler, Nov 14, 2007
  11. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

not just because of this. But do you know how it feels if you have to loose a match on purpose?

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

if my chance of winning is > 50%, very pissed
    if my chance of winning is < 50%, i'll take the hardship bonus $ and run:p

#92 cooler, Nov 14, 2007
  13. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

if u only play if your chance of winning is more than 50 percent, there is no drive to play any more.

14. jump_smashing

jump_smashing Regular Member

gosh.... hope not affect alot this match fixing our badminton sport

Hope one day badminton can popular as Tennis & alot of people playing it around the world :)

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    May the best player win

The practice of asking someone to lose deliberately is definitely wrong. It is not only unethical, but it violates a human right.

If LYB is concerned with the preservation of human dignity, he should not interfere with his players' motivation to play their best. As we say "May the best player win".

It is not proper to set up artificial barriers against a player to win. It will only damage the player's sporting spirit. We should encourage all participants of any sports to play their best each and every time.

I believe that, in any sport, the joy is not based on the winning or the losing, but the joy of the effort we put into it. :):):)

#95 chris-ccc, Nov 14, 2007
  16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    So, you say HHB/YY is not trying, but they can score about 15 points. And you think CM and Mia really trying hard, and get a 0??? Of course, I know the difference between OSS and NSS, but ZN is not god, and GL/ZB is not that weak. :rolleyes:

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you sign a contract (or agreement), you gain some, and lose some. If losing a gold medal is not fair for a player, I can say the under achieved players (which is more than 95% in CHN squard) is way too lucky, as they still got paid. So, should I claim it's not fair to the CHN national team, as they have to support 99% of the "failures"? :eek:

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Don't just take 1 side of the story.

If the OG is really fair, do NOT LIMIT the entries per nation. Just let the best of the best fight for the title. If no limited entries, CHN might occupy half the entries, therefore, the chance to gain a gold should be much higher to begin with. Do you think that fair to see WC champion like XXZ and WC runner up like XXF can't even play OG (2004) is fair??? Do you prefer to see XXZ and XXF, or some no name ones who simply come from another nation? Do you think that's fair for XXF and XXZ and CHN team to begin with? :(

CM might see 15 CHN ladies in OG, instead of some rank 50s players from another nation. Insead of worry about 3 CHN ladies, she might have to deal with 3 or 4 to even reach the final. She will be seriously tested in every single round.

Then, we might see a 4 CHN ladies semi final. ;)

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Before finger pointing the match fixing, let me ask you how to explain the "limited entries for OG"?

WC2003 Champion XXZ and Runner up XXF can NOT even participate. Do you think they are denied for their hardwork, and proven success? The other nation's players and coaches crying for "match fixing", but think twice, they at least get a chance to play, at the cost of much better CHN players, such as XXZ and XXF! :mad:

Like I mentioned in preverious thread, if no limited entries, CHN might occupy half of the entries (especially women events) to begin with. Then, the non-CHN players have to face 4-5 CHN ladies to even dream about the finals anyway. :D

20. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    wow... (in badminton terms) this one is a smash winner... no chance for the opposition to respond.:cool: