Kenichi Tago ( 田児賢一 )

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by jhirata, Dec 5, 2008.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I do think that Tago came in to the AE with more credentials than Choi did in the EAG. Tago has shown to possess pedigree in his Jr Asian Championship title and his Jr World silver medal. We could see him progressing strongly over the course of last year into this. Choi on the other hand, had no such track record or indication he would take a step up in his badminton career.

I would be very surprised, nay shocked, if Tago doesn't continue following his progress pattern

2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I agree with you on your assessment. Also, Choi is an old fella in badminton age. Tago is 20, more accomplished and more time. By that, fair to rate him the rising one:p;)

3. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Tago was an absolute joy to watch this All England, his tricky shots and determined shot retrieval were very refreshing.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Monday March 15, 2010
    Badminton fans going to hear a lot more of Japanese kid
    STORIES by RAJES PAUL
    THE badminton world was abuzz with Kenichi Tago when he became the first Japanese to win the Asian junior title in Kuala Lumpur four years ago.

And after lying low for some time due to injuries and poor physical condition, a more determined Tago has gained attention again with his dynamic performances in the All-England.

And this time, Tago, who will turn 21 in July, showed that he is here to stay for some time on the big stage.

On Saturday, the world No. 20 became the first Japanese to reach the All-England final in 44 years.

He set up a match against world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei after showing immaculate form in beating China’s Bao Chunlai 18-21, 22-20, 21-18 in an energy-sapping semi-final match that lasted 76 minutes.

En route to the semi-finals, the unseeded Tago also showed great spunk to beat three top players – Nguyen Tien Minh of Vietnam (seventh seed), Denmark’s Joachim Persson and China’s Chen Jin (third seed).

He was an instant crowd favourite whenever he was on court. He dived to reach shots, retrieving impossible ones and won admiration for his steely determination.

“As a child, I had always had this dream of becoming a world beater. I did not want to confine myself to only be a star in Japan but I also wanted to do well on the world stage,” said Tago.

“I came here to learn the attitude and playing style of world-class players. My achievement here is beyond my dream.

“I want this to be a great start. I want to continue to enjoy the game and be better in what I do. At least, that is what my mother has always encouraged me to do.”

As the son of Yoshiko Yonekura, a two-time All-England doubles runner-up and a semi-finalist in the world championships, the badminton court had literally been his playground since he was three-years-old.

Tago said that his sudden rise to form at the All-England had also to do with all the hard work he put in during physical training and the great fight he gave against Indonesia’s Taufik Hidayat during the Thomas Cup qualifying round in Thailand two weeks ago.

He went down 16-21, 23-21, 18-21 to Taufik in the semi-final tie. Despite the defeat, Japan qualified for the Thomas Cup Finals, which will be held at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil from May 9-16.

“A knee injury hampered my progress last year. But when I got back to my feet, I worked out a lot. I just had to be physically fitter to challenge the best in the world,” said Tago.

“The match against Taufik was important to me too. It gave me the self-belief that I can do well in the All-England. And I am happy I have finally made it a significant event for Japan here.”

Tago is the first Japanese to reach an All-England men’s singles final since Masao Akiyama in 1966.

Japan’s chief coach Park Joo-bong said that Tago’s breakthrough and amazing fighting spirit did not come as a surprise.

“It runs in his family. He reminds me of his mother, who is a fighter too,” said the former Korean double ace.

“He already had the skills coming into the national team since winning the Asian junior title but could not run the pace in training. A lot of emphasis was given on his physical training to make him faster and stronger on court.

“Tago is highly disciplined and mentally a stronger player. The only thing that I was surprised was his vastly improved fitness condition. I thought he would be drained out by the end of each match but he returns the next day with a sudden burst of energy.

“He is certainly a highly motivated player and has a bright future ahead of him.”

5. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    All Tago needs now, is the ability to complain and question bad line calls especially during pressure cooker situations. Neither LD, Gade or Taufik would have accepted the call in that last rally.

Even his legendary mild mannered coach Professor Park managed to eject and replace one line judge during his XD World Championship Finals match, playing the current BWF COO and Pernille Dupont. Ended up with Park and Chung Myeong Hee winning in 3.

6. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Regarding the incorrect line call, TH would have storm of the court. LD would throw his racket in protest. I would maybe swear to protest.:D:p

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

More 'drama' would be going on by then;)

8. szekt

szekt Regular Member

Maybe he was just happy being in the finals....besides in terms of performance, LCW should have won anyways....

9. Destricto_Ense

Student
    KT did not look that happy after the final, which I think is understandable. He had some great comebacks during the AE so I bet he believed he still had a chance at matchpoint LCW.

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

If anyone is just happy to get to the final, they need a mental adjustment. You better try to win it cos' you might not get there again. And even if you do, you might lose again. It's so difficult to get to a final in a major, especially if you're not at the very top of the food chain. If Tago was indeed not very happy, then he's got the right attitude and I hope it drives him to many more major finals. And hopefully he can pick up a win or two.

11. Loafers

Loafers Regular Member

Loafer
    KT was awesome. I couldn't tell if he was just happy being in the finals, but I liked how he laughed and smiled a bit compared to most players who are just stone faced and lifeless until they win or lose the game...

As for his gameplay, I think he's a mix of Taufik and LCW. He has appropriate aggression and passiveness. Very refreshing to see in badminton.

12. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

Definitely a great run for KT:). He's got the talent and demeanor for bigger things in the future for sure:cool:! And it would be nice if Japan can measure up with the usual suspects: Indonesia, Mlaysia, China, etc.:)

13. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I am sure he is happy being in the finals, but would even happier if he gets the title, especially when he knows he has a chance to upset LCW.

Tago achievement in AE is a good sign for badminton and I hope his break through could help badminton to promote in Japan. :cool:

Good luck for him in the future.

14. Granum

Granum Regular Member

Tago plays with the best aspects of Taufik's smash/net play and still has some pretty great athletic ability in his dives.

15. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Someone said he was a hybrid between Taufik (smash/net play) and LCW (defence, athletic ability, speed).

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

The spotlight is on him now:D

Anyway, looking forward to catch his performance in the swiss open:)

17. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Quick question

Does anyone know why Kenichi Tago, doesn't have the YY logo on his racket ? Is this the same for the whole JPN team ?
    Thanks

18. Destricto_Ense

Student
    Maybe he strings it himself :/

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    depending how the arrangement is set up, a player can have more than 1 sponsor

20. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I have noticed this with other JPN players as well, they don't have YY logo on shirts even tho they are YY sponsored