Please review on GOSEN RYOGA SERIES

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by jason1975, May 27, 2011.

1. jh1989

jh1989 Regular Member

1st gen im not sure its definite for 2nd gen.

2. andyang

andyang Regular Member

ic..all right...thanks...cause heard from my friend 1st gen is made in japan..
    that's why i asking to check out.. :)

3. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    yes. for the 1st an 2nd gen

4. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    I think you are right as the description that I found on the web also indicate that it is Made in China but shaft is Made in Japan.

Other brands like Mizuno racquets are also Made in China but under strict QC. From experience, as long as the QC standard is high, the origin doesn't bother me.

I have a Mizuno TC700 that I bought back in 2008 and it is still going strong.

5. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    TO CLARIFY to the ABOVE POSTS regarding the Gosen Ryoga Rackets.

I have owned all 4 available Gosen Ryoga Rackets (Ougi, Shiden, Issen and Tenbu), I owned multiple 5x Shidens and 3x Ougis, as well as 3x Issens, and 1x Tenbu.

RACKET SHAFT IS MADE IN JAPAN BY TORAY M40 CARBON WITH COLLABORATION FROM GOSEN AND SEIKO**

RACKET HEAD IS MOLDED/MADE IN CHINA WITH THE SAME TORAY M40 CARBON SHEET AND AERMET MESH (TM)**

**NOTE: ONLY OUGI AND SHIDEN HAS ZYLON REINFORCEMENT ON THE HEAD AND SHAFT.

ALL 4 OF THE GOSEN RYOGA RACKETS HAS METAL T-JOINTS (***Yonex uses plastic T-joint/anchor)

ALL 4 OF THE GOSEN RYOGA RACKETS HAS CARBON HANDLES **MULTIPLE LAYERS: INNER CARBON CORE TUBE JOINED TO THE SHAFT BY HOT MELTING THE HANDEL CARBON CORE AND SHAFT, AND THE OUTER WOOD-COLOR PART OF THE HANDLE IS MADE OF HARD PLASTIC

GOSEN RYOGA RACKETS ALL GONE THROUGH HIGH STANDARD QC BY THE SAME QC CHECKER (I cannot remember his name, but all the QC sticks bears his name. Also some rackets has his signature under the grip on the wood-colored plastic handle.

**** Some thing I noticed from using the Ryoga rackets.

-Ryoga rackets all has somewhat stiff flex, and are not suitable for lower level players

-Ryoga rackets all has a hard solid feeling (in which Yonex lack nowadays, especially my Z-Speed which I sold last month)

-Ryoga rackets all has above paint quality (Ryoga racket design is subject to personal tastes as I have heard from a few club members calling my Ryoga Ougi as an ugly racket. (much better paint quality than any of the Yonex in recent memory, especially the Z-Force and Z-Speed)

-Ryoga rackets with ZYLON (Shiden and Ougi) in my humble opinion has more solid frames

Hope this helps.

I am looking forward to give the Tenryu a try. But from what I read on BadmintonCN and looking at the Ryoga Tenryu press release photos, it looks like a repainted version of the Ryoga Ougi (same design, same paint job, just a slightly modified color palette)

Also the specs of the Tenryu is almost identical to the Ougi.

I think the Tenryu is a reissue of the Ougi, and caters to those people who like to play with the Ougi, and need to stock up, but Ougi is pretty much sold out at this point.

my 2 cents

6. andyang

andyang Regular Member

woh...really thanks for all the information. :)

for all 4 ryoga, i prefer the Issen.

more head heavy but fast swing.. :)

planning to buy another 1 for collection..and upcoming 2nd gen...hope the 2nd gen racket with ZYLON.

thanks

7. al_bundy

al_bundy Regular Member

I have to echo what mms6a is saying. I bought an Issen off him last summer and immediately I notice the better feedback/feel it gave compared to the ZF I was using. Despite being head heavy, I don't feel it having tremendous stress also which is good, though in fast rally you will have notice the slower response time. After being sucked in by mms6a, I went and bought Tenbu and Shiden as well and they are fantastic, especially the latter. I can move much better with Shiden compared to Issen and the power is substantially still all there. Want to try Tenryu too but it is China only, still trying to figure out a way to get it without getting a fake (group buy anoyne?). I too, suspect it is a repaint of Ougi. Also, Gosen Japan took off all Ryoga from their Japanese website, so the new 2014 colours of the Ryoga racquets may not be available in Japan (I hope not). So if anyone still wants the purple Shiden, consider get 1 or 2 now.

8. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    I prefer shiden compare to the issen. But its a personal taste

9. andyang

andyang Regular Member

why japan took off all Ryoda from their website?

they are not producing it anymore??

any comparison between Issen and customedge X???

10. andyang

andyang Regular Member

any gosen racket is very close and similar to Issen??

11. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Maybe the partnership with Seiko (shaft supplier) has ended ? We don't know the exact details of the arrangement. It could be to supply for a number of years or for a fixed quantity of shaft and then the contract has to be renewed/renegotiated ? Or maybe they just feel that the series has reached it's end of life.

12. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Gosen Japan's website is never any good.

According to my sources, the pro shops in Japan has not been notified that the Ryoga series are discontinued... It is somewhat a limited market right now.

Also if the partnership is expired between Gosen and Seiko, then Gosen should not be announcing the 3rd gen colors for the Issen, Shiden and Tenbu, and also they should not be announcing the new Tenryu racket.

We will continue to see the Ryoga rackets for at least 2 more years.

The Ryoga series as of now (Feb 2014) has been on the market for a bit over 4 years.

#232 mms6a, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  13. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    That's good info !

Anyway, regarding the partnership, that's just a possible theory which I offered up since people are guessing why the Ryoga series has been taken down from the website.

With regards to the 3rd gen color, I did thought about that previously. Assuming my theory about the partnership is correct, it isn't far fetched to say that the 3rd series is the last production batch (maybe to use up the remaining quantity of shaft ?). Not sure about the sale of Gosen Ryoga but I have not seen many of them being used and certainly not having their racquets used by pro who appear on Super Series TV court doesn't help their popularity.

Changing to a new color will generate interest both with new potential customers and existing fans and that's a good way to sell through.

Anyway, I do hope that Gosen continue to release more innovative products. I do like them and owned the 6900 Boonsak and also a 1st Gen ISSEN. I am now looking for the Customedge V but it isn't available locally.

14. al_bundy

al_bundy Regular Member

That is good news indeed. The shiden so good I want to get a second one but I guess I ran out of luck with the older colours so I will buy the new one. Thanks for updating us buddy!

15. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

No... the 3rd series will be releasing soon... new colour already out for the Ryoga series based on 2014 catalogue.

http://www.gosen.jp/gosen2014eg/book_swf.html?startpage=17

I guess we don't speculate on Gosen to discontinue on Ryoga series... it has sold very well in China (the biggest badminton market) where it is based now.

Tenryu was not shown as i already mentioned... it will be limited edition again just like Ouji!

anyone interested to place order? it should be available around may or Jun 2014...

16. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

Those that like shiden... please try Gosen 6000pro... definitely a classic

oval head broad frame with very stff shaft... light head... but can deliver very fast and hard smash..

17. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    Look at the catalogue, they have a shoes range.

18. al_bundy

al_bundy Regular Member

I don't know what to believe anymore. http://www.gosen.jp/2014gosen-catalog/book_swf.html The above link is to Gosen's Japanese catalog and as one can see the Ryoga series (and also the Root) are missing from there. Yes I also realize juventus' link to the English catalog has them. It'd be a shame if Japan does not carry the Ryoga as they are really well made racquets. Buying from other markets like China would be an option but buying from there it is hard to tell whether you are buying Gosen or "G0sen".

19. juventus1

juventus1 Regular Member

come on.. how many top rackets are made in china..

do you know that sp and tw coded yonex is lower rated than ch rackets..

just get the right seller and you will get the right racket at the right price...

as for info..gosen top range ryoga got no pirated version in china yet.. most probably due to the complexity of the paintwork,,,

20. bjork

bjork Regular Member

Love the shiden. Probably one of the strongest racket i have ever used. I have 3xshiden and had broken one of them ... but not before breaking 5 other partners racket retrieving smashes down the middle.... now, thats a really good racket! (or very poor play from me .. haha). Love doing sideline drive to the back of the court and cross drive with shiden. Net kills are fast and lethal, smashes are crisps and precise and still it is much cheaper than lining and yonex.