VIDEO: weaving and tension cross w/ one ahead technique

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Mar 15, 2012.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    made another video last night. this time focusing on how to weave and tension the cross string.

i think i might have tried to put too much stuff in one video. the few points are:

- basic stuff: grommet to grommet. up/down weaving in opposite phase as the previous string
    - weave one head - use soft weave
    - pulling string to minimize coating burn
    - straightening cross when being tensioned.

[video=youtube;xyGdQyd6ot4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyGdQyd6ot4&feature=plcp&context=C4ac20cdV DvjVQa1PpcFOA1uEKiA3Y6IUSZCtYayTewPL_DI0ou4U%3D[/video]

as usual, comments are welcome.

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Straightening crosses during the pull is absolutely essential, so it's good to see it shown here. It's a pain in the arse if you have a crank machine, though, as kwun says; adds at least five minutes to the job if done properly. V-pulling is also good practice - anybody who's heard that quintessential BG80 scream will know why.

It's also good to stroke the loose end of the string through the fingers before putting it back into the racket, as any slight twist/kink will multiply horribly as the cross loop closes on the frame. At 5.49 in the video, run the whole loose end through your fingers to get it absolutely straight, then feed it in. I used to keep hold of the end, but began to notice kinks forming regularly.

3. phili

phili Regular Member

Great video as always. Funny that you come up with all the stringing videos now right when I want to start stringing :D

4. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I don't think there was too much information.

For crank users who don't want to use their second hand to straighten the cross strings, you can also tension the string right until before it locks out to straighten the string a good bit, then release the tension, straighten your string manually if needed and then pull tension until the crank locks. A bit slower, but it works.

Also, I've always been using two flying clamps for the cross strings, as opposed to just one (I use MBS clamps). I don't remember why I have started doing this, but it was probably from reading it in these forums :p Do you think two flying clamps is a little over the top or could it benefit in some way ?

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If you've got two, use them:D - it can't possibly be anything other than faster and more secure than using one. I've seen some people use four (two on each side) at 30+ tensions.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if i keep feeding the poison, it will have its effect! :D

more videos to come. i hope to get at least one video out every few days until i run out of things to cover. as always, comments and suggestions on topics are welcomed.

7. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I actually have 8 :p When I saw that ideally I needed 4 for main strings, I ordered 2 more from Eagnas, and when i realized that the lower cost wasn't worth the loss in quality, I proceeded to buy Hi Qua and MBS clamps :p

Will probably never string at 30+ tension though, with the climate here, I'm not even sure that BG65 would survive a single tension pull lol.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i usually do that, but not for the middle crosses as they don't tend to twist so much. i start doing it when it get close to 10/2 o'clock where the twist starts to develop.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if you have fixed clamps, then most strings can easily survive 40lbs.

the immediate tension for flying clamps almost doubles which means the chances of snapping is much much higher.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i must admit i am a bit spoiled with the WISE. :D

when i visited PeteLSD i got the chance to do the straightening with crank on his Gamma 6004. which is slightly more work but the process should become second nature after a while.

11. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Yup, just tried and the string survived. I tried 35lbs a couple days ago and the string snapped, but I guess it had some weakness in it since it was leftover string.

But this brings me to another question regarding tightening the fixed clamps. Should you tighten them so the string wont slip at any tension, or just for your tension range and string gauge ? For instance, when I did the first 40lbs pull, the string slipped and I had to tighten the clamps. However having the clamps this tight might cause damage to the string.

It seems like if the string slips at higher tension, it could slip a little (unnoticeable) at lower tension ?

12. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Straightening and caressing the strings whilst cranking is part of the tactile art of stringing. It feels good to palpate the process as the string tensions in. :eek:

Good video, and good subsequent comments by the BC Brains Trust.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. and that's why Pete pulls twice on each string to double the caressing!

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    argh. i need a fixed clamp machine. i feel so left out! :mad:

15. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    i use 2 flying clamps for the crosses, but one for each side of the racket so i usually have the lasr 2 strings that were tensioned clamped at the same time. for mains i use 4 clamps, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom.

16. phili

phili Regular Member

Keep it up. The one thing I'm most insecure with is how to finish the mains/crosses, so.... :D

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The twist usually develops because of friction, when the loose end against a main loop, so 2/4/8/10 are the danger areas (4/8 especially).