dynamic tension = stringbed stiffness

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by SystemicAnomaly, May 20, 2007.

1. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Anyone here familiar with the concepts of stringbed stiffness and dynamic tension? Apparently there is much more to it than merely string tension. Stringing techniques and other factors come into play when talking about stringbed stiffness & dynamic tension.

One of the local racket shops here, RacketSupply, has an electronic device that measure the dynamic tension of a stringbed for tennis &, I assume, badminton rackets. A google search on "dynamic tension" yields a number of tennis stringing links. I did come across a badminton reference -- one of the stringers on the Badders forum mentioned it but did not give too many details about it (other than to say that 2 stringers in the UK had this device back in 2004).

There is a picture & brief explanation of the device here -->
    www.stringforum.net/dtdb.php

The terms stringbed stiffness & dynamic tension are explained in a bit more detail in the 2 links below:

www.sandiaracquetservices.com/reference/tech-sheet.htm
    www.sandiars.com/equipment.htm

Any other thoughts or info on these concepts would be appreciated.

2. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    try, try again

Looks like there's a bit of a problem with 1 of the links i provided above so I'll give it another try.

For a picture & brief explanation of the DT electronic device -->
    http://www.stringforum.net/dtdb.php

3. TonyWdq

TonyWdq Regular Member

Software
    I like the idea behind the tool because same string tension could feel different on different rackets. One string may have more grippy texture or the racket head is smaller or the stringer has some crazy stringing technique and makes the string bed stiffer though the tensions are the same.

This means tension weight can no longer be the most reliable measure of stringbed dynamics

The true flexibility of the stringbed can finally be measured!!!

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yes, stringbed stiffness for tennis racquets can be tested with a stringbed tester available from various vendors. However, a badminton version is not available.

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I think one of the issue is badminton frame is to thin. According to the website, it is measuring the force needed to move the sting 1 cm. Since the badminton frame is usually less than 1 cm thick, I think it is hard to make one for badminton.

6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Not only that, the stringbed tester for tennis racquets will make the badminton frame vibrate like no tomorrow :D like . . . use your imagination.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Any electronic device that can measure dynamic tension or stringbed stiffness or what have you is no match for your own hand. Just by hitting a few shots can tell you more than any device.

8. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    I'll have to ask the guy at RacketSupply if his device is capable of measurements on badminton rackets. In the Badders forum, a racket stringer claimed that he was one of 2 pp in the UK in 2004 that had a device suitable for badminton.

badders.com/forum/showthread.html?t=851

I tried a search for deBeers but could not find any links for such as device with this company name. Perhaps, it is no longer available or just isn't easy to find on the web.

The vibration that I felt at the grip, when used on a tennis racket, was subtle. The first time the guy at RS did it I didn't feel anything at all cuz I was talking. I did feel the vibration the 2nd time -- it was distinct but not really powerful at all. From that experience, I don't think that such a device would overpower a badminton frame -- at least it probably could be adapted to be suitable for baddie rackets. I just don't know if this particular device was calibrated for badmiton frames or if it was even sensitive enuff.

I seriously doubt that most players could make the fine distinction that the electronic device does -- an elite player perhaps, but not the average joe. Besides, it is not practical for a stringer, in a shop, to hit shuttles with every racket that they string.

The device appears to be a fairly precise feedback tool for stringers. I believe that it is used primarily by stringers who do rackets for professional players. It can also be used after a string job has aged for a bit, to let you know how much the stringbed stiffness has changed over time.

#8 SystemicAnomaly, May 21, 2007
    Last edited: May 21, 2007
  9. silentheart

Like off balance spin cycle? Does it make the (racquet) shaft vibrate like crazy?

10. silentheart

However, only the hardcore player will even think about actually use this device. Usually my experienced friend and customer can tell within 1lb difference. One guy was able to "guess" my new string job of 20.25X22.5 lb job at 20.5X23lb because he knows my stringing style. (PS, I can set my drop weight machine at 1/6, 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 5/6 lb increments)

11. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied