ANNOUNCEMENT : new look for BC

Discussion in 'Badminton Central Announcements' started by kwun, May 25, 2007.

1. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    ok, this new header, the background photo, i guess is women doubles is playing.
    these 2 person being cut off at waist and knee section.
    can you get what i mean? look at the wording central at badmintoncentral.com and forum.
    if can, i have this small request is to change the photo.
    thanks......:)

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

like it, need to get use to it.

3. deROSE

deROSE Regular Member

student
    Haven't logged in for quite a while.
    Nice to see some changes!
    :)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    there are still a few kinks that needs to be ironed out:

- the shuttlecock above the ads is actually a space for a menu system that will link to other parts of the site
    - the top nav links
    - the footer looks a bit strange.

it was difficult to find a photo that is badminton related, has the right color combination, and fits into the space above. i might go off and take one for that purpose later but for now this one will stay.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    in theory it should. the layout is now done using CSS. and with the fancy hackery, the main content is actually loaded before the side panel and the header. so the content should come up faster than before.

another plus with this CSS code i am using is that now very large image don't stretch out the entire site. the image simply just overflows to the right hand side.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks. as you probably figured, i am not planning to make big changes at this point. ;) i will however continue to make small improvement to make it better.

7. yoyomonkey

yoyomonkey Regular Member

hey kwun can you centered the page, i most users now have widescreen and it look too much to the left.

8. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Cool :) thanks for reading my post, like I said it's looking good anyway so nothing too major is really necessary :cool:.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Wow. My jaw actually dropped when I read that.

Well done for making the difficult switch from tables to CSS!

It would be really, really easy to centre the whole site in the browser window. Personally I think that would look much better. If you want some help with the code, let me know.

**Edit**

I hate to be querulous, but the source code suggests your layout is not done using CSS, but with tables. What gives?

Is the table crappo just the inherited forum stuff, with all your nice CSS wrapping around it?

#29 Gollum, May 25, 2007
    Last edited: May 25, 2007
  10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. the overall layout is CSS. but the code generated by the forum software is table based. no way i am going to go muck around with the forum code to fix that... ;)

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    to their defense though, table isn't all bad. a lot of places where tables are used, they are used appropriately.

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Wow...what a change..

...hmm, interesting new layout and color scheme, kwun..I thought i woke up this morning on the wrong side of my bed:p...but wow, the whole site looks so................."lavenderish"..hehe:p:D;)
    Anyways, the first time i logged in, i had to adjust and get used to the new layout and color scheme...At first it looks a bit washed out(like what phaarix mentioned), but i guess i'll(all of us) just have to get use to it..;):cool:

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Good call :D

Tables are for presenting tabular data. That's a good use.

Using them to create layout grids was a brilliant hack, but now we have CSS. CSS is more efficient and more accessible. Unfortunately, CSS layout design is rather an eldritch art; most beginners find it counter-intuitive. Internet Explorer's CSS support is also a problem, and "experts" recommending stupid CSS hacks add to the mess.

Some layouts are hideously difficult to achieve with CSS, so tables make sense. On the other hand, I question the need for really complex grid layouts.

Tables-for-layout should finally die once CSS-3 is complete and browsers support it. It's going to be a long wait :(

14. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

I like the new look but I kind of agree with a couple of phaarix's points; I also think it would be better centred, and also that the green colour is a bit 'sickly', although maybe I just need time to get used to it:eek:

15. CoolDoo6

CoolDoo6 Regular Member

WOA !!! I was away for a few days cos I was busy and BANG!!! BC turned totally, well whats the word, erhm 70's. Well, ok, ok, the desinger is doing it for free. But I just can't help stating what hits my eyes. The BC of 2 designs ago was definitely more manly and impactful with its solid definitions. The pastels are a bit too "nice". This gives one the urge to powder one's nose

#35 CoolDoo6, May 25, 2007
    Last edited: May 25, 2007
  16. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

the only colour i don't really like is the pale green on the left side panel that runs down the length of the thread, otherwise i'm liking the change.

17. Whoopty

Whoopty Regular Member

Looks much better than the standard Vb theme.

18. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    The overall new look is nice. The background on the header could definitely use a replacement, as others have said. If you really want to take a picture yourself, Kwun, it would be cool and more original. However, if you don't want to go through the hassle, it'd be easier to just tint a good picture you find.

I find the colors a little too light. They somewhat draw you away from the main part of the site. I like phaarix's scheme a little better, as there's more of a crispness to it.

19. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i saw phaarix suggestion. i think i agree with putting the ads on the right hand side. it looks better i think. and i do love the current blue and orange theme. i guess the green is a bit, and i quote "makes me want to powder my nose". but because i am a girl, it's an ok feeling. but for the guys, maybe they will question their inner self. he he he he he he. just kidding.

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    haha. to tell you the reasons behind the color. the green and blue are both "real" colors that i sampled from badminton gyms. the green as you see look quite similar to the green floormats that are used commonly in tournaments, and the blue i sampled it from yet another gym floor. the orange however was created by me to balance the color out a bit.

i believe using real world sampled color is quite meaningful as a badminton website, and we cannot deny that badminton is quite commonly associated with the green and blue.