REVIEW: Alpha Shuttle Express Stringing Machine

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Apr 6, 2009.

1. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I must be dyslexic because I always say and type Der-Lin, whatever. I actually have two other candidates of similar properties/background. One is ultra high molecular weight polyethylene or high molecular weight polyethelene aka UHMWPE/HMPE and the other is Corian. Im probably going to try corian first because of its availability. Im going to try Corian first for two reasons: its ease of use, it cuts and handles just like wood and also because of its low cost/easy availability, free samples at any home depot/lowes.

Only reason i know about these materials is because I used to skateboard and we make "sliding gloves." For a while most people used cutting boards stuck to gardening gloves but then everyone began to experiment and HMPE and Corian got pretty popular.

I think ill give this a go monday when I can get the big saws out :)

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    about Corian, yes it is cheap. my only concern would be how tough a material it is. one of Delrin advantage is that it is tough. it takes a lot of strength to snap it. Corian is mainly developed for kitchen surfaces and since it is mounted on wood most of the time, i wonder if it is tough material or will it snap under tension.

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Dear Kwun,
    Since you have been stringing with the Wise tension head. I am curious on what do you think about your own stringing job. Does it give you the pop and make your string come alive?
    Thanks.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^For that..^^

..we shall possibly see and read a review on it after this weekend's Bay Area Corporate Badminton Championships..;)

5. ae86trueno

ae86trueno Regular Member

Kwun,

Do you mind to measure how long the horizontal bar?
    I just received my Wise but it can't even clear the turntable.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    make sure you swap the leg and the turntable. look at the position of the leg and turntable on my photos, you will know what i mean. if you don't do that, then there won't be enough horizontal space for the WISE.

7. ae86trueno

Yep I did the swap already before trying the Wise..
    I Just took This photo below, I swap the leg and the turntable and put the wise as far as it can go (touching the other leg) and it still can't clear the turntable.
    [​IMG]

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    hm..... you have a problem. :(

let me go measure the horizontal bar. give me a few mins.

9. ae86trueno

My bar is about 46.5cm
    well if it does not fit I will try find any metal shop to create another bar.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    mine is 54cm.

alternatively, you can move the right leg. only secure it with one screw, lower it and thus give enough clearance to mount the WISE. that was my backup plan in case mine didn't fit like yours.

the whole thing will be slightly tilted, but should be fine.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have only tested 3 rackets with the WASE. none of them are my main rackets so i am not familiar with them.

in order to make a fair comparison, i need to break the strings on my AT700 and my ARC10 first. both of which are my main racket and i know the string job is very good from Mister Keen. after i restring them, then i can make a fair comparison.

too bad i didn't get a 2nd ARC10 or AT700 to A/B compare with. i ran out of cash when i was in HK. :p

12. ae86trueno

at the moment my plan is to make another horizontal bar. but Im planning to make longer and also has a part that is higher than the rest to help clear the racket from the Wise.

13. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) What happen to the original mounting kit? It should allow you to slide the WISE with min effort?
    2) If the tension head is too high, can you raise the side mount about 5mm higher just like Kwun did?
    3) If all thing fail, only screw in the top screw hole into the lower screw hole on the horz bar.

14. ae86trueno

Hi Silenheart,
    1) I have the portable HQ machine, it looks like Kwun's however I just found out the horizontal bar is shorter by 8cm compared to Kwun's. With the original mounting kit, it fit for much taller (or wider?) horizontal bar.
    2) At the moment since my bar is too short, I can't even fit Wise like the way Kwun did.
    3) I thought about this too for both legs, but I will try to find out if I can custom made a horizontal bar before raising the legs.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    1) the original mounting bracket would work with a shim. however, it means that the bottom of the shaft will be around 33mm below the top most part of the gripper. it will be the quickest solution to actually start playing with the WISE.

3) custom making horizontal bar will be the ideal solution. you can customize the turntable height and everything will fit well. not the cheapest solution though depending on the fabrication cost at your part of the world.

do let us know what solution you end up with.

16. ae86trueno

Hi Kwun,
    1) At this point, I prefer not to use the original mounting for 2 reason, First I want to keep it as compact as possible without adding more height, actually your WASE is excellent since its very compact and second I find the thickness of the horizontal bar is thinner than the space in the original mounting.

Monday is public holiday so most probably earliest I can contact the engineering shop is Tuesday, mean time I will try to sketch or draw what I had in mind.

17. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Excellent! Please update us :). Will you simply add a longer and thicker (in the area where you mount the tensioner only) horizontal bar?

18. ae86trueno

Hi Pete,
    yep will definitely update here. Yes I was thinking to add thickness on the area to mount Wise to make it more solid however depend on what the person will say and how much it will cost. At the moment after quick measure and drafting, this is what the bar look like:
    [​IMG]

1cm on each end is for the leg
    1cm next to left is to give gap between leg and turntable
    4cm (and raised by 1.2cm) turntable and the raise will clear the shaft about 0.5cm
    17.5cm for the end of knob(turntable) to clear and give about 2cm clearance to the gripper
    30cm for the Wise length (total Wise length 32.5 but 2.5cm from left side to gripper side which will be under the knob anyway)
    0.5cm to give gap from Wise to the right leg. so total 55cm.

I still reviewing it though. Kwun's bar 54cm and Kwun need to swap left leg with turntable to clear the Wise. After I did my measurement, my bar will only be 1cm longer without swap :confused: hopefully nothing wrong.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how much clearance do you give ? like how much between the turntable and the gripper? how much between the WISE and the end leg?

as for making the bar wider. you also need to think about how to actually mount the WISE onto the bar. the bolt need to be threaded onto something. it is either a nut or the bar itself. if the bar itself, then you need to cut the thread.

20. ae86trueno

From the turntable knob to gripper I give about 2cm. I can make it closer though. From the Wise to the right leg I give 0.5cm.
    Yes, for the wider bar, if the engineer able to make threaded hole then i will do wider bar but if for some reason he can't, then I will get a nut and bolt it. I think you did this way too right?