let's together answer : what is the ideal tension?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by kwun, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Shuttlebugs

Shuttlebugs Regular Member

A good stinger also need to ensure the string does not slip when clamped to a certain tension. This is often the culprit. Given a state-of-art to an inexperience stringer is next to useless.

2. beermonstertw

beermonstertw Regular Member

There is an ideal tension;for performance and without getting injuries.
    In my own opinions,the ideal tension depends on the racquets you have not the level you are at.
    You can go higher tensions only when you have stiffer shaft racquets.Flexible shafts racquets to go with higher tensions has no meaning.
    I do nineteen to twenty pounds with carbon fiber rackets which you can't find them anymore,unless you can travel back to two decades ago.
    I do twenty to twenty two with high modulus graphit racquets.
    I do twenty one to twenty three with "woven" racquets.
    I do twenty four pounds with "tungsten alloy"racquets.
    It doesn't matter what brands you prefer,racquets are usually made of pretty much the same materials.
    I would try one or two pounds higher at times with 0.68 and 0.70 gauge strings.I do less adventure with gauge 0.70 and above.Thick gauge strings are thick and strong...........

3. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

so many wrongs on so many levels, I don't even know where to start...

4. tangoturbo

tangoturbo Regular Member

Just try a mid tension and see if that suite you and see how you feel like it.

5. beermonstertw

beermonstertw Regular Member

Dude,do enlighten me.I would like to hear what you say about making racquets and how to efficiently

utilize them for each level of players.Don't just leave me question marks,man.I won't be offended.

6. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

ok, just for...

1. i don't believe in that. using uber-stiff and too heavy/too light rackets might be connected to injuries. but the most important factor is technique... whatever, 2lbs more or less make such little difference on the impact on your body, i doubt it makes any difference at all... (concerning injuries...).
    2. that's just not true. i would prefer any racket with high tension, no matter if they're headlight/headheavy/3U/4U/whatever. just for the sake of more control! higher tension means more control, that's all i'm looking for when stringing.
    for a lower level player/beginner, i wouldn't recommend such high tensions. beginners don't have the technique/power and control to utilize high tensions. for beginners, it's better to use lower tensions (say up to 22lbs, max 24lbs, just to give a number...). you get more power out of that, strings last longer. again: not depending on the racket.
    3. that's just not true. higher tension gives you more control. when you look at netplay, rackets don't bend, no matter if you have stiif or flexible rackets. but string tension makes a huge difference when it comes to netplay. again: higher tension, more control.
    4. sorry, but that's bulls***. as explained above, you can get the advantages of higher tensions with any racket.

again: you want to increase control by higher tensions and pay for it with some loss of power (and durability of rackets and strings, but that doesn't matter really...). the better you are, the more you look for control. because you have enough power/technique to play the shots you want anyway.
    therefore, the main determining factor for tension is the skill of the player.

7. ronny108

ronny108 Regular Member

I have the iforce string at 23lb with 66um. the shuttle cannot go baseline to baseline. cannot believe it ,I get my partner to try and confirm its too tiring for high clear. any suggestion???

8. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    Try lower tension, say 21-22 lbs n c what happens. Alternatively, u can go to the gym to build up some muscles.

9. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    If these fail, it could b that ur racket doesn't suit ur game...time to get a new one ; )

10. ronny108

ronny108 Regular Member

its now perfect now , string change to nbg98 at 22 , thanks you

11. RH500

RH500 Regular Member

Analyst
    I have strung my Arc 11 & BS 12 @ 26.5lbs with NBG98 JP coded, i think i may increase to 27lbs next time. I have previously used 66UM & BG80, i think NBG98 gave me better clear / higher repulsion.

12. ronny108

ronny108 Regular Member

nbg 98 seems good

13. AidenWrenPierce

AidenWrenPierce Regular Member

My Tensions

I have my Carlton Ignite Power @25.5lbs with Nanogy 98.
    I had a karakal SL70 which was @26lbs in BG66 Ultimax.

I prefer the feel of 25.5lbs with NBG98

14. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Regular Member

Man I just broke three 3 strings on 3 rackets in one game. It was like a span of 6 points. All were BG 65 at 22-23 tension. When string and tension lasts longer? Broke string on Voltric 70, then Nanospeed 9900, and an old Arcsaber 002 I had. It was so embrassing! How do I avoid this or which string should I get?

15. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>

Wild guess... possibly three separate factors or a combo: old faulty string OR stringer's inexperience OR torn grommets. IMO, dont think its the string's fault (so long its not old) or the tension problem (22-23 lbs shouldnt pose a prob).

Solution... just change ur stringer n ask to check the racket grommets.

16. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Regular Member

The Voltric 70 broke in the middle, the Nanospeed broke near the top of the frame, and the arc saber 002 broke in the middle. The arc saber's sting was very tender and still had the original factory string on it. I shouldn't have even tried to play with it. The Voltric was strung a month a go. I don't how I would mishit. They all broke on easy High clear returns. Now it is going to cost me $60 to $70 to fix all of the them. This hasnt happened before.

17. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    $70 for 3 restrings? That seems expensive.. Is there nowhere that'll do you a better deal on restrings? My local guy does me good prices.

18. kintenka

kintenka Regular Member

professional player
    For me 31/33 is the perfect string tension on my TK9000. BG80 string. When I started playing i started with 20/22 iirc. I made a big jump from 20/22 to 28/30 as I wanted to enter a more professional environment and needed more control for mixed doubles and it worked out pretty well.
    To put a long story short: Do not be afraid to experiment with string tension and strings and do not listen to your comrads who claim to be "super professional". Test it yourself! Try to stick to one type of string and tension on all rackets, although some prefer to have some rackets different from another but at least I prefer all rackets to be strung the same.
    Greetings from Germany

yoe likes this.
  19. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    If somebody take more than 50USD for 3 BG65 restrings, he is a ripper. I would only pay more if it's a very decent and well known stringer like Alan. My club mates and close friends get BG65 for 13USD from me and any other customer for 16USD. Anything more is daylight robbery. Every shop, regardless how small get BG65 for less than 5USD/10m. That's more than 45USD-55USD for ~90 Minutes work. I think I should get a green card. :p

20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Do you string your rackets by yourself? I only know one shop in Germany who would do this tension without grumbling and bitching. Most ask you for your league and tell you that it is not necessary. Other tell you that I do this, but lower the tension a bit to be on the safe site. They are normally used to tensions around 20 to 26lbs. Before I got my stringing machine I went often for 30/31 jobs, but if I compare them with my own they must be 2-3 lbs lower than my own.