Practising short serves at home

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by hopsmashpro, Jun 30, 2008.

1. hopsmashpro

hopsmashpro Regular Member

Student
    As the title indicated, any suggestions on how I could do it with a wall and some tape??

My brother used to put a line of tape on the wall and serve to that...

What are your suggestions??

Thank you.

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i don't think that helps very much, what might be better would be to tie a string, or some of that crime scene tape the police use, about 6 inches from your wall at the same height as the badminton net. that way you can see if you shuttles are clearing the 'net' properly, it's harder to judge when it's just bouncing back off the wall.

3. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    i actually have a piece of white tape on my wardrobe and a white tape as to where the line would be and just serve.
    Its good for the height of the serve unfortunately doesn't help with judging the distance.

I kept record of 100 serves making a sheet saying if there: - good, 2 high, tape height or 2 low. I found this helped, over few weeks, your serve will be good, actually one of my strong points in a game.

I won many points with my good serving, couple of times won 4 - 5 points in a row just serving & them not being able to return it at all or not very well lol :D:p:cool:

4. CHOcobo

CHOcobo Regular Member

pay off school
    lol. i do this too. i just serve towards the wall and try to get comfortable with serving back hand.. and doing it so in ways so i can trick my opponent.

5. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I do this as well. Practising against the wall like this, helped me clarify the fact that I can do them better( with more precision ) with higher tensions.. :O..

6. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Although serving against the wall will give you a height reference but it does not give you distance, or accuracy to the T.

My suggestion would be:

(1) mark 2 lines on the floor 13feet from each other (aka front service lines)

(2) get a wire coat-hanger, snip the middle of the longest side of the hanger (opposite the hook)

(3) while holding the hook, bend the hanger into a shape of a flat-bottom "U"

(4) tape the "U" against the back of a chair so that the bottom part of the "U" is 5feet above the floor, half way between the lines

(5) put a simple box behind one of the lines

(6) stand behind the other line, serve the shuttle through the "U" and land in the box, give yourself one point :D

Practise 100 serves and keep track of your improvements! ;)

Cheers!

7. saifii

saifii Regular Member

i bought a net and tied it with nails between a narrow passage to my front door. sort of like a lobby. or you can sticks or pipe in your backyard as well