how to score in badminton??

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by tuboJoe, Mar 26, 2009.

1. tuboJoe

tuboJoe New Member

ok ive played badminton before but just hitting around i want to know how to score points if someone can please tell me how to score points that will be good like how do i know when i get a point when playing thank you guys!!:)

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Another one of those threads :rolleyes:

Anyway, badminton is scored to 21 (you can play one game or three). Firstly, you must decide who is to serve first, generally, this is done by tossing a coin or hitting the shuttle up and seeing which side the cork tip is facing.

Next, the person who won the toss must serve, let's say it was your opponent. The serve is hit from the service box to their right in to the service box which is diagonal to it (their left box on your side or your right box). You must then receive the shuttle and attempt to return it. Points are won if your opponent is unable to return a shot you make or an opponent's shot fails to come to your side of the net or comes over and is out. The shuttle can only be contacted once so a point is conceded if the shuttle is struck more than once. If a player contacts the net, their opponent wins the point. If the shuttle at any point contacts the net and goes over, no fault is called and play continues as normal.

If the score the server is on is odd, they serve from the left, if it is even, they serve from the right box. The serve is always to the box diagonal to the box served from on the other side. The boundaries for singles are the smaller width but longer length. On the doubles serve, the court is wide but short and in normal doubles play, the whole court is within bounds. No service can be hit with the racket head up (basically, the serve must be hit forehand or backhand underarm, never overarm) and the racket head must be below the waist (this is a difficult rule to define and enforce).

Hope I've helped and have fun playing badminton ;)

3. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    Dont you mean best of three???

4. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Yes, I do, I just thought the OP would deduce that if you win 2 of three games, your opponent cannot win - I guess I was just too lazy to write best of three lol.

So, you can play best of one or best of three but if you're playing recreationally and just for fun, you may want to play the third even if there is no point as the outcome of the match has already been decided.

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    This was my first reaction, but it was hasty...after searching for 10 mins the answer didn't jump out. I tried Scoring, Score, New Scoring System, NSS, Rules etc...None of them came with much withough flicking through a lot.

Anyhow:

http://www.internationalbadminton.org/simplify_rule.html WBF current laws link

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33198&highlight=NSS How to play the New Scoring System

There are a few other decent threads, but they take a bit of searching......

6. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    You can also read the badminton Wikipedia article which is quicker and easier than the current laws in the BWF site.

7. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i am more interest in scoring point with a hit to opponent.