CHN/KOR/INA WD pair disqualified from the Olympics

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by FlamingJam, Aug 1, 2012.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    What about the 92 US baskeball team dribbling to end the match, rather than pouring on another 10 points at the end of each match? What about Tunisia coach thanks this year's team "not running up score". Aren't they on purposely "lower their standard" as well???

Why losing a match in a quick way is not "take it easy while conserve engery"? They are not talking about conserve energy for this match. They are talking about conserve energy for following matches...

Do you see all proferssonal sports simply use bench / rookie at the end of blow out game or when both are in / out playoff? Why not play with less quality is not "take it easy while conserve energy".

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

I haven't follow the early rounds of this year's OLY swimming but I remember that USA used their B-team for qualifications thus allow their A-teams to conserve energy for the final.

Should we ask for all their medals back?

3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
  4. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    If I go by what you all are writing, I'm allowed to go kill dozens of people in a theater or crash planes into buildings because other people do it.

It's not because other sports do it or because it has been done in the past that it's right to do it. It's a lack of respect to the fans and the sport and that will never be right. This event should be a warning to both the players and the BWF. To the players: don't **** around, and to the BWF: get your **** straight.

The Olympics exist to showcase the BEST athletes in the world, and that includes seeing them perform at their best. There is also a difference between conserving energy and trying to lose. In one case, there is still some sort of entertainment going on. Even sending your back up players makes a better show.

Seeing people trying to defend the players disgusts me. What they did is against the spirit of the Olympics, and more importantly against the spirit of sports in general. Shame on them for doing it and shame on the BWF for not foreseeing it. It's a well deserved sanction and I hope the BWF will also see the huge pressure that they have on their shoulders after the games are over.

5. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

The B team played the sport, and played it to the best of their ability, if they messed up they were out. If you can't see the difference then frankly....

6. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Lord Barrister,

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on your use of the word 'malice'?

Your humble subject,
    Edmund, knoweth not latin, Pevensie

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

they sought(eth) to vengefully force upon another such suffering as would be dealt whence one doth compete against their higher seeded compatriots and would-be opponents in the succeeding round.

(translation: I just used it because it often goes in front of forethought)

8. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

You should quote the thread to which you are replying for clarity. It looks like you are replying to the preceding post, but still unclear.

I guess you missed Eddie the Eagle at the 88 Olympics, or the Camerounian rower Paul Ndoumbe who came in last to a standing ovation in London, or sprinter Derek Redmond in 92 Barcelona who also finished last to a standing ovation. I am sure there are hundreds of other such Olympic examples, where either the athletes were not among (or anywhere near) the best, or whose performance was lacking, but nevertheless their stories inspire us. It seems you misunderstand the 'Olympic spirit' you speak of.

Many of us (all I hope) agree that BWF should be blasted and are the ones who are really at fault here.

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Funny, I don't see any mention of basketball in any rules/regulations pertaining to badminton, or badminton in the olympics. Having said that: The basketball team did enough to win, and running down the clock is a valid tactic and does not bring the game into disrepute, even if it is boring.

Why losing a match in a quick way is not "take it easy while conserve engery"? Yes it does conserve energy. It also brings the game into disrepute by deliberately trying to lose

Conserving energy is not deliberately trying to lose to manipulate a favourable draw.

10. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Ah, thou art kind, my Lord, to provide the translation as the elaboration was surpassing my understanding.

But if I may, is it not the natural course of events whereby players or teams try to "vengefully force upon another such suffering" as the shame of defeat when they labour for victory? So lest I completely
    misunderstand, sport is altogether 'malicious'?

Your lowly servant,
    Junior Wormwood

11. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Sorry, I wasn't directing it to anyone in particular, but to everyone who tries to defend the players and say that all that matters is the medals and that doing anything for a medal is alright.

Also, if people get to the Olympics, it surely is not because they cooked breakfast for the organizers. It's because they are the best in their country and in the world. Even if they finish last, they're still amongst the best in the world, and they tried their best. That is why they get ovations. I am not saying that people should only respect the first 3 in each sport, because that is dumb. I also want to poke my eyes out when I read people saying that people in the QF are crap because they didn't win their games. They're good, better than anyone here even, and tried their best and that's what counts.

I perfectly understand what is the Olympic spirit and if you are trying to defend these players (I don't know if you are), you shouldn't try to give lessons about it.

12. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    My 2 cents worth...good on the BWF for taking decisive action (driven by fear that if they don't, badminton could be removed from the Olympics...IMHO).

I think the tournament ref screwed up on this one as he should have disqualified the pairs in the first match sending a strong message to the subsequent pairs in the second match. if that has happened, then that Korean pair and Indonesian pair would have battled it out. I guessed LYB is no longer chuckling about the "incident".

Hey, before anyone start to flame me...I am Canadian of Chinese descent so no I am not anti-Chinese :)

Anyhow, the situation is a lucky break for our Canadian women doubles so Go! Canada! Go!

13. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Hesitant to make this analogy,

If a woman gets drunk, doesn't mean you can take advantage of her. . .

It's the bwf's job to close this loophole. It's the sports persons honour to not take advantage. .

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    are you implying that BWF is a drunk? ;)

15. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

They probably were when they made the Round Robin decision!

16. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Best in their country, yes; among the best in the world, no. Sometimes they qualify because they are the ONLY athletes from a country. But indeed the ovations are for their valiant efforts, because that is what we hold as honourable, even more than the results themselves.

And if trying to get a better draw by (albeit blatantly) throwing a game is a 'better effort' (in the bigger picture) then that's a because of the format.

17. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

I see what you mean. But to me, real effort comes from trying to win and play your best. Trying to lose just so you get an easier way to the medal is just wrong. Makes your medal that much less awesome.

18. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Ah the old 'moral relativism' argument rears it's head. I guess shooting people in a movie theater is now ok as long as you keep the body count below 12?

19. flite

flite Regular Member

Then you are also implying that the players (team CHN esp. for all the match-fixing in recent years) as the molester.;)

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Sorry - I had to chuckle at this. We all know why.

Kicking the offending pairs out was, IMO, probably the only thing that could have prevented badminton being removed from Rio in 2014. If they're going to threaten badminton's Olympic status (which would probably kill the sport in international terms), they deserve the book AND the lectern thrown at them. And when I see Logosz snapping his Achilles tendon and Sato ripping her knee to shreds and trying to carry on...