New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Backhand clears were also easier for me. Despite not being fully adapted to the racket, they were at least as long as with the BS10. I really really like the feeling of high tensions, so I'd rather not drop it to 27 or 26lbs. The 28lbs I currently use are very crisp, yet don't usually give me any arm pain.
    I'll spend some more time on court with the MX on Monday and Tuesday, where I'll hopefully be able to get some filming done. I'm pretty interested to see whether there's a noticeable difference in smash speed between the BS and MX. Must be very obvious though, 50fps is not much for Badminton - I can usually not even see the shuttle on freeze-frames.
    Anyway, if I can get some footage, I'll link it here =)

2. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    After reading half of this thread ( about 55 pages i think ), I think i'm becoming more and more interested in X80..

Could someone lives in Taiwan ( In Tainan/Kaoshiung preferably ) knows a good badminton shops with good badminton stringer also that sells this X80 on an affordable price? ( I read that u can get 3,500NT for this racket, but when i browse in the online store, the price is 4,200NT :confused: )

Thanks in advance :D

3. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Kaoshiung? Iirc Eric from RKEP on eBay is based there. Why don't you email him directly on his eBay store. He's very dependable and highly rated.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    can owners of MX80 share their experience with what strings they have tried to match with the MX80?

i have tried 2 different strings.

- VS850@25lbs. good feel, good power. but not excellent. tension loses fast.
    - NBG98@29.5lbs. incredible power and sound. the crispness this combination produce when hit hard is second to none. i have never felt something like it, ever. however, the feel at touch shots is rather poor. dead. no feeling at all. makes it hard to do push and drives.

i am thinking maybe NBG98@28lbs to see if that improves.

or VS850@30lbs.

or may some other combo?

5. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Umm......VS850 also at 25lbs. Same as you :)
    Second one has ZM67 on it at 25lbs, but I've yet to use it because I got sick right before I was supposed to go have a hit with it!!
    My plan is to give the ZM67 a fair shake, and if that doesn't work, go back to VS850 at a higher tension. Maybe not 30lbs, but something higher than 25 ;)
    Just love the feel of the 850 so much, it's really hard to drop it completely.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ kwun.... Just hybridize it! :p .....my experice with zymax 67 is that it has excellent tension retention, pretty good power but no feel.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i tried VS850 at 29.5lbs as well. excellent feel, but not as OMG!!!! as NBG98 when hit really hard.

8. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Can't bring myself to use Nanogy. The NBG95 I used once was plain awful.....but I've heard the 98 is better.

So you'd recommend the VS850 at higher tension? How were your net / delicate / touchy-feely shots?

9. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I would recommend VS800 ahead of VS850

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

NBG95 only works with 30+ for me, feels numb otherwise. The NBG98 is much better, try it with 26lbs...

@kwun: Have you tried the BG80 yet? I have my MX strung with 28lbs, and it feels nice & crisp to me. Haven't tried anything else, as I try to keep my go-to and backup rackets very consistent as the season is about to start.

11. Brale90

Brale90 Regular Member

Student
    VS850@25lbs. good feel, good controll at the net, but not so powerfull
    Bg 66 @26 lbs. also good feel but after 2 or 3 sessions its over, more power, good sound, feels a bit softer

In two weeks i can test bg 80. ( This week trainings camp, tournament )

Another point. After holidays i have really power problems... smashes are quite slow.
    No problems with my nanospeed 9900 @ 26lbs. Hard to describe. I dont misshit but
    i dont get the power out of my mx80.

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I would guess your swinging motion is just a bit slower than before, you probably didn't train much during the Holidays, right? Pronation could've gotten weaker...the MX is stiffer and head heavier than the NS, so it's harder to accelerate and bend. Just train with it and you'll get back to your usual power levels. Perhaps restring the VS850 one, the VS loses tension quite easily. BG80 plays similar and retains tension much better.

13. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Why is that, Yoppy? Can't say I've used a .70 string before. Too scared of being unfashionable ;)

14. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I tried many times using 0.66 string but just did not like them. Between 0.67 to 0.7 is just right for me. I recommend VS800 for you guys simply because you can put higher tension with it and its just awesome feeling. Dont be afraid of having 1 or 2 lbs higher, cos I can say that VS800 does lose tension quite a bit compare to let say BG70pro. I also can say that VS800 is better than any YY 0.7 string except BG70pro.

You can do the same with VS850 but already 4 or 5 of my club mates had their string broken in less than 1 month with VS850 with high tension. I also found that VS850 is a bit too spongy for me and as kwun mentioned, it does lose tension fast . Another thing with VS850 is that you can find a number of better or similar YY strings such as BG68ti or BG80 or NBG95.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

In general, 0.7 strings feel softer and numb to me. If I string them 2-4lbs tighter than, say, the BG80, they feel nearly as crisp, but still lack power in comparison. While they are much more durable, it doesn't make up the loss of feel and power to me.
    What adds to that is that most thicker strings lose more tension than thinner ones - BG65 being the prime example (what were 30lbs on the ZSlash TH are now like 27). NBG95 holds tension better, but feels dead at anything below 30lbs [intitial tension] (31 on the N90 dropped to 29 - still usable, but doesn't hold a candle to a 28lbs BG80).

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

0.66 strings mostly lose the crisp, hard feel after a few session. BG66, BG66UM are nice strings imop, but they feel very spongy after a week of training. If I string them 2lbs tighter to make up for the loss of tension, they snap easily...I'd recommend them to a) very clean hitters and b) ppl using lower tensions (~24-25lbs). They give much of the power and feel of tighter, thicker strings with less arm pain.

BG68Ti is not such a good string imop - I personally dont like the soft feel, and it is less durable than any other .68 string. A guy in my club snapped the one on his brand new racket in just one session (normally, he uses the ZM67@24lbs, but apparently few German shops have it), and while he's a strong hitter, strings normally last him 3 weeks or one weekend of competition at least.

The BG80 is my current favorite - more durable than any thinner string, awesome at retaining tension and more rebound and feel than any thicker string. For me as a very mediocre smasher it's durable enough to hold 4 weeks of training. Competition is a completely different matter though :D

17. TheNotoriousLIG

TheNotoriousLIG Regular Member

Student
    I use bg66 at @25lbs. The 80 hole pattern makes it feel higher at first but it drops around a pound after a week and stabilizes and then it feels like 25lbs should. Also makes a nice noise, (not quite as good as NBG 98, nothing is) and very lively. Overall a good string.

18. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Geez Yoppy, NBG95 is a horrible string! Slippery and numb as hell.

19. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Hahaha is it that bad? Yes honestly I did not think much about it. I'll pay more attention to it next time.

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The numbness goes away at 30lbs! :D