Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    How could Safina be WR#1 when she hasn't won any of the majors

As posted by Jasonvan in Post#237 of this thread:

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i know a sportwoman that didnt win any grand slam yet, but she is world number one. :D

3. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    A sportwoman that you mentioned is DINARA SAFINA?

If yes, she had already won US OPEN (1 of the Grand Slam tournament in Tennis) partnering Nathalie Dechy back in 2007.

Not need to count ah?:p

4. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    Atleast theyre someone that have the same situation as Chong Wei do ...

5. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Besides LD, there are not many players that can challenge LCW participation frequency and consistency for WR1. If being WR1 qualify for bonus $$$ like MAS is offering and endorsement potential, then the incentive exists for any player wanna be WR1 despite the huge pressure and expectation of being WR1.
    I concur with you LD would want his WR1 back. But to be WR1, LD needs to travel/participate in a lot of tournaments, win to get the most points, and I surmise for LD at his age and having won a huge share of SS, that is a lot of work for too low a payout and also risks injury, exposure and wearing him out as his remaining goals are OLY12, AG10/12 and more AE/WC.
    Since CJ is WR2 and tournament rules forbid CHN top 2 players to be in the same half, what incentive is there for LD to pursue WR1 as long as he keeping beating the WR1 and everyone else?

#245 OneToughBirdie, Sep 27, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Uncle One Tough, Chen Jin is currently WR#3. LD has gone up to WR#2, since LD also didnt participate many tournaments bf & after OG in 2008.

http://internationalbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=11270

7. OneToughBirdie

engineer

Thanks young Eagle for correction...then LCW does not have to face LD in the same half. Improve ranking for LD and good for LCW at the same time.

Also, I forgot to point out that MAS players get to keep 100% of winnings, endorsement, etc., therefore MAS players should be motivated to go for WR1 despite the huge pressure. CHN players get to keep half of that.

#247 OneToughBirdie, Sep 27, 2009
  8. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    need not to count la. She is World Number 1 in Woman Single Player category. As for doubles, not even once a top 3 i guess.

Same case with LCW, and yet, she'll always be recognized as once a world number 1 player.
    and hey, we should do the same for LCW.

#248 koo_fan, Sep 27, 2009
  9. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Nicole David had won her 4th World Open title.

4th time.....

10. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    I think this new strategy, which has been tested and approved by LD, is a good choice for DLCW.
    Pehars that changing his preparation tactic will get him more confident for the majors, but he really has to have good results on the selected tournaments !

Moreover, i don't think that the fact to be no1 or not is important for him, the aim is just to be seeded for the majors.

11. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    What works for LD may not works well for Datuk. What if Datuk could not win majors and playing less, means less chance to win SS (and that US$ cheque). Whether to be WR1 is/or not important to Datuk we may not know for certain but if Datuk is out of WR1 or WR2, that means missing out on that RM45K cheque every 3-month, and there is probably 2 more years before Datuk quits.
    So if Datuk is passionate about winning at least one majors and not merely to boost his income, I applaud him and rightfully so, for MAS and tax payers who fund this sport to produce a majors winner, not SS winners which are easily forgotten.
    On the other hand, if Datuk wants to maximize his wealth before he kisses the game goodbye, then he may wants to play as many SS as he can while he can still win, especially if the other guy;) is not playing.

12. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

Ok, if you're going to get technical, what about Jelena Jankovic when she was rank #1, I believe she didn't have any majors wins :D
    And I agree with OneToughBirdie, what works for LD might not work for LCW, is LCW the type of player that needs constant competition from top players to maintain his form or he can just train and maintain his form. We know China's got alot of world class players LD can practice with, I doubt that Malaysia's got as many...

13. OneToughBirdie

engineer

Unless you count Uncle WCH and Yoyo HH as world class players:p, then MAS has none despite all the funding BAM and MAS tax payers poured into the program:crying:

14. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    undeniable legend sportswoman for Malaysia.
    truly dedicated, no such thing as excusing this and that.

15. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

4th time world Champion........? one time better than LD :eek:..........how could that be to a Malaysian.....? ;) :confused:

16. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    If WCH and Hafiz is not world class players, tell me what is their categories, according to your opinion?

17. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Obviously in a field of sports called squash and not badminton, ;).
    Also by a female.

18. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Dato: I know what you are trying to get at and you caught me here;) To compete among the world best in SS would qualify both of them as 'world class', therefore I err saying both are not world class. I would correct by saying both are not on the same level as CHN's top 3 to provide the competition for LCW:D
    Both were at the top of the world once upon a time...WCH is playing on borrowed time. HH, being younger, may have a chance to resurrect his form under Hendrawan, but it takes a lot of will and sacrifice to get back to 2003 AE level. Time will tell if he rebounds and I hope he does.

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

The signs have arrived and are now blinking..

The signs have arrived and are now blinking (w/LCW's recent news) and i think we should start to see players, serious enough, coming into the fold. I'm sure you and most of us know who else are in the top 5-8 MS ranking besides LCW.
    Pick any one of them and they could challenge LCW's #1 ranking.
    I can see any of the top 5-8 ranked MS players who can challenge LCW's WR#1, should any of them compete in more tourneys w/out LCW's presence.

#259 ctjcad, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  20. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes, i agree, but if only LD present in coming 3(wins all)out of 5 tourneys till the end of the year.........Its still only LD to challenge LCW's WR1 and no other player can do that....:rolleyes:...i think!

And of course, LCW will pushed further down in WR....to 4 or 5