Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^I can see..^^

..CJ, PG and even the Wild Child of Badminton challenging LCW's WR #1 for the rest of this yr.:cool:
    LD might skip the rest of the SS tourneys til end of the yr, except maybe the CHN Open.
    Their overall ranking pts are not too far from LCW also. And if LCW should miss the rest of this yr's tourneys, then that'll open up the gate even more. And this is for this yr's plan, not incl. next yr's plan, where we could see even more players challenging for that no.1 WR.

#261 ctjcad, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Haha, there was another player who had won 5 times. So, if Nicol (also a Datuk) wins next year, then on par...:D
    If LCW has to skip all remaining tourneys this year, then early 2011, LD or CJ will be WR#1 - provided LD is still selective of tournaments & CJ participate more than LD like this year.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Typo ah..^^

..you meant to write "2010" ah??..But, yeah, we could see either LD or CJ all alone at the top @ the beginning of 2011 also..;)

4. alvisiny

alvisiny Regular Member

student
    I heard that LCW have an injury ,,,
    he cant play well like usual ...
    what kind of injury ??
    I think LCW can become a best badminton player because his skill ...
    very very good ...
    lol

5. eaglehelang

Sori, think too far ahead already. Yup, early, perhaps after MO 2010. :D

But if both LD & Chen Jin also dont participate 2010 Korea & Msia SS for whatever reason(like what happen this year). And uncle PG, Taufik attend.., then...possible also PG or Taufik WR#1, if they go semi or finals in both that is.

Alvisiny
    , yes, LCW have left knee injury. Please read last few pages of LCW thread for more info.

#265 eaglehelang, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  6. alvisiny

alvisiny Regular Member

student
    ooo....:confused: ....
    thank u eaglehelang

7. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Management & Planning

I took Business Management 101 when I was in RMIT. It was not a dificult subject, infact I would say Management is about common sense in a nutshell. You can hardly fail the subject unless you are a ... well, lets not go there.

Now, the folks in BAM should seriously take the principles in Management 101 and apply it literally not only on LCW but to all the shuttlers under their roof. By now suddenly deciding that LCW should play in fewer and selected tournaments only shows that the management in BAM is reactive rather than predictive. Why are we always reacting? We are no badminton novice playing country, right? Why copy LYB's China in how they manage LD? Good management is pedictive not reactive.

And is playing in fewer tournaments the right decision for LCW? Ok, let me rephrase the question, at this stage of LCW's career will less travel and play time be beneficial to him? I would say no.

LCW is now 27. And lets put all sentiments like "he will one day win a major title if he prays hard enough" etc aside. Lets be realistic, he has about 2 years of top class badminton left and I feel LCW should take this 2 years to make as much $$ as possible. And the only way to do that is to participate in as many tournaments as possible (and win) in order to rake in the prize money, incentives, bonuses, appearance fees and etc etc.

Yes, forget about them major titles. With LD around it aint going to happen. Plus, the rest like SDK, CJ, CL etc are no pushovers either. The smart choice is to go for the cash.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^I think..^^

..LCW and the BAM mgt/coaching staff are recommending a less-tourneys approach more so out of necessity. Yes, partly it's a reaction on their part but it's because they realize LCW can only go so far without injuring himself (with the recent news of him skipping tourneys and now most likely going under the knife & be out for some time).
    Now, with this reality and the chance that he'll most likely compete in less tourneys in the future, how would Dato LCW pursuit his goal of collecting more prize money?

#268 ctjcad, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  9. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Injury in badminton is not as common as in rugby, basketball, NFL football or football (soccer). Yes, currently the Dato has a knee problem but other than that I cant really remember when he was last injured. It seems like ages ago unless we take into account that food poisoning episode at Hyderabad ;).

Badminton is not a physical contact sport like football, for example. If pro footballers in the EPL can play 2 games a week, what is travelling around and playing in some tourneys? And if we compare the pros in tennis, I would say tennis is tougher as you got to be under the sun etc.

LCW is looking at a good 2 years left in the tank. 2 years will come and go quick. Is he going to spend the next 2 years being selective or go all out with the intention of making as much $ as possible. Personally, with BAM's incentive scheme, LCW should be making hay while the sun shines. My estimation, I think LCW is worth about plus minus RM1.5 - RM1.8 million now (from prize money, incentives, allowances, well wishers, godfather/s etc etc etc). He should take the next 2 years to triple it and then he can rest all he want.

10. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Injuries are not very common in baddie but Fatigue is and I belib msia sports sciences isnt 100% good enough to treat all this...

Look at CRISTIANO RONALDO... he hardly look tired even 3matches in a week!!!

11. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be difficult for LCW to stay as World No. 1 if he has to undergo knee surgery and miss all the remaining SS tournaments and the SS Masters final tournament.

:(:(:(:(:(:(
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

What's there to worry about ranking? What LCW needs is a long break and he's getting one. What should be interesting is MS title outcomes in LCW's absence.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I think..

..with his current knee injury and upcoming surgery, Dato LCW will definitely be put on watch by BAM and be selective in choosing which tourneys to attend in the future. I also think he is financially well secured even if he slows down in his baddy participation. Thus, his next goal, IMO, should be to focus on getting one of the major individual titles, if he can't get the 2012 OG Gold.

#273 ctjcad, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  14. eaglehelang

Errr, actually it was the ...NSC, Sports Minister who made noise after WC 2009. They question why LCW, KKK/TBH participate so many tourneys just to maintain the ranking for the BAM quarterly bonus & title wins. They question why players go here there, make $$$, make $$$, but dont win major titles. They want players to focus on preparation for major titles.

They question more on LCW cos a) he participate more than KKK/TBH (remember Rexy did not send doubles to Korea SS & China Masters) b) with KKK/TBH's inconsistency, LCW's the main hope for major titles.

Misbun replied this before, that we cannot follow like China or LD, somewhere along the lines of competing to maintain fitness/competitiveness.

So, with that directive from higher ups, BAM have made changes.

15. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

NSC, Sports Minister & politicians ...

I rest my case then when it comes to us having the wrong people helming BAM. Instead of having administrators and qualified coaches who act in the best interest of the sport, we actually got a bunch of yes men who cater to the whim and fancy of politicians who know jack about the sport.

Hopefully Samy Vellu makes a comeback into the cabinet, being the MIC all time badminton champion, I am sure he got a few good tips for LCW.

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

In my eyes..

..all of them are one and the same...;)
    So, yeah, their decision for Dato LCW was partially out of reaction and now it's a necessity after seeing the reality, if they want to preserve Dato LCW's career...:cool:

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    After the 2009 French Open SS Finals

Found this post in our 2009 French Open SS Finals thread.
    It's interesting (from now onwards)...
    It looks like Lin Dan is making a comeback, to be BWF World No.1. Most BCers would hope so, I believe.

It's good to watch Lin Dan participating more often in tournaments.

#277 chris-ccc, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    it's only a comback for LD if u follow bwf's arithmetic

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    We can only follow BWF's arithmetic

Correct. We can only follow BWF's arithmetic.

Otherwise, anyone who is not participating in BWF's tournaments can claim to be the "World's Best Player".

It's heard that there are better players than Lin Dan, but not able to participate in the CHN National team. Perhaps, it's just a rumor/nonsense. :eek::eek::eek:

#279 chris-ccc, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  20. loggietoh2003

loggietoh2003 Regular Member

Army Officer
    Hi all, a question for you to ponder, does really chasing figure so impt or to be able to sustain long enough in the competition and win/defend major titles more impt?