how to avoid cramp (calves)?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Djiban, Aug 10, 2006.

1. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Ive had them, Ive fixed them. Im a sports massage therapist. If it happens every time you play esp in the 1 leg, most likely you have a minor "pulled muscle" as such in your calf (a knot), this needs to be rubbed out by some1 who knows what they are doing. You are doing the correct thing by stretching the calves but its like an elastic band with a knot in it, if you stretch it, the knot is still there and you may make the knot worse!!

Also what can help is strengthening the calfs. I used to get cramped calfs after 2/3 hours of play (weak calfs from the length of time of play) so i started running hills and doing calf raises with weights which has sorted this problem.

My belief with the story above is your footwork for singles is different and you could be forcing your feet more to get the extra distance but as you play a lot of doubles which is shorter more explosive movements, your legs could be very tight so with this extra forcement of movement, the legs are getting tired and cramping.

Did you rest for 2/3 days before this tournament??

I would advice a good sports massage on the legs front and back to get them all loosened out and the knots sorted. Then get back into a stretching rountine. Also with the amount you play especially intense, do you take a recovery drink or eat after you play?? Always advisible to help the muscles recover faster

2. Alom

Alom Regular Member

Start having Tonic water before, during and after a match. Was recommended by a doctor and stopped my cramps.

3. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

4. Alom

Alom Regular Member