right shoulder blade area pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by herk123, Dec 29, 2009.

1. herk123

herk123 Regular Member

i'm not exactly sure if this is caused by badminton but it appeared around the same time as when i picked up the sport. Anyway the pain mostly only comes up when i sit down against a wall and/or lowing my head as in a nodding action but further. the pain is not exactly on the shoulder blade, it's about midway between the spine and the upper left portion of the right shoulder blade. It feels like i'm over stretching some muscle. this pain is only on the right side. Could anyone shed some light on the possibilities. thanks

2. Bcalchess

Bcalchess Regular Member

The shoulder is a pretty complex joint and has plenty of associated muscles and ligaments. I am not a doctor or physio and so I will not attempt to tell you what is wrong in your case but rest & ice are usually the best cure for shoulder problems.
    Some practical Badminton related tips
    1. Warm up & stretch properly before playing.
    2. Test your shuttles for speed as forcing your shots & hitting too hard are a recipie for shoulder problems.
    3. Check out your string tension.

If nothing here helps consult a doctor or physio at least once to get a proper diagnosis. Armed with a proper diagnosis you can then trawl the net for solutions which will no doubt include gym work & stretches!

PS my solution was using a string dampener on my squash racket!
    Good Luck :)

3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The area you describe is the abode of the muscles that pull your shoulder blade up and in (certain fibres of the trapezius, the rhomboid and the levator scapulae). They can easily be strained, especially if they are weak to start with.

You can ice it after a game, but during the day for that stiff feeling use heat and stretching. A good physiotherapist or massage therapist can do wonders. Get their advice rather than trolling the Net.

Once the acute strain is settled, they will help you with the exercises for the postural muscles of your neck, shouder blade and shoulder. That is the real preventive measure against future problems.

Best of luck.:)

4. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    How long does it last for?

From what i hear from you i can only come up to 2 conclusions.

1. Snapped your tendon? Usually if you don't stretch FULLY and when your playing on cold weather your tendons are most likely to snap happened to me once.

2.Snapped your muscles? If you sometimes swing to fast and powerful you are most likely to snap your muscle. But its no big deal cause it happens to weight lifters, when you snap your muscle it will heal but your muscle will grow and become bigger.

5. herk123

herk123 Regular Member

actually i just feel like its straining something when i lower my head, chin to chest

6. druss

druss Regular Member

Sounds like you're just really tight there, if you had snapped something the pain would be more acute.

See a certified sports massage therapist, they will work out the muscle tightness and teach you stretches to help prevent it from happening again.

A good warm up and stretch routine is a must before you start into a game.

7. herk123

herk123 Regular Member

alright thanks everyone

8. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    do you do weights because if you do then its not a big deal

9. herk123

herk123 Regular Member

yes quite regularly

10. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    then your pain is nothing to do with badminton then its because when you do weights your muscle threads become broken and then your body repairs causing your muscle to become bigger.

11. druss

druss Regular Member

I highly doubt he's just working out the one muscle group that he's talking about...

You are correct of course on how you build up muscles but the fact remains that badminton specifically uses that muscle group quite a bit... most people, on the other hand, tend to work out all their muscles when doing weights as they don't really want to look like a hunch backed freak.:eek:

12. herk123

herk123 Regular Member

yea that makes more sense :p anyway i've been stretching and it seem to ease the pain a little bit. thanks again everyone

13. babaam1

babaam1 New Member

ok. i just played 2 days ago for the first time in a year and my shoulder and fore arm hurt really badly every time i move my arm. i dont know if its related but now im playing with intermediate level(i was a beginner last year) and also im playing with my yonex nanospeed 9900 so i dont know if its the racket or the level of play ar maybe im just sore(it hurts differently than being sore) so comment if the same happened to you or if you have a solution for it

14. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    As usual, Do more stretching or warmups before you play. Swim more if you are injured. ;) Hope this helps.