Why do I stamp?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by BernieR, Mar 31, 2009.

1. BernieR

BernieR Regular Member

Hi,

This is my first post. I am purely a recreational user of badminton, but I find it interesting to think about the game, both the physical and the psychological aspects.

I noticed a while ago that I spontaneously stamp my front foot down when I am playing certain shots, and this evening I noticed one of my opponents was doing the same thing. I'm always interested by things I do unconsciously like this. Does anybody know what the effect of stamping is?

2. azn32boi

azn32boi Regular Member

You're probably stomping your feet to try and force your body to give more momentum as you hit or you're just doing the wrong footwork.

Sometimes you stomp to plant your foot faster for more stable hits, but usually its heel and toe instead of a stomp for when you're at the net.

If its hits from the back court, you shouldn't be stomping, but try using your hips for momentum instead, having your racquet foot back and just turning the hips so it pushes your shoulders forward, then giving you the momentum of your arm movement, making it easier to flick your wrist.

3. BernieR

BernieR Regular Member

I think it might be the stability thing azn. I think it happens when I am moving forward quickly. It's not that I am doing the wrong footwork, shots when I stamp are usually successful, whatever the reason I am doing it, it is having a good effect.

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

some people do it to put their opponents off, or as some form of deception.
    a friend of mine normally stamps to give the impression that he's going to smash, sort of an aggresive movement, then executes a drop shot instead.

5. BernieR

BernieR Regular Member

What interests me about it is that I don't do it consciously.

6. azn32boi

azn32boi Regular Member

Is it when you're moving quick towards the net? If so, then you shouldn't have a big stomp. Should be heel then toe to soften the landing, or else you're going to ruin your knees.

7. BernieR

BernieR Regular Member

I think I do an extra hard heel and toe, and slap the flat of my foot down. I think I have done it when moving quickly forwards but also sideways.

8. azn32boi

azn32boi Regular Member

Well as long as you're doing heel and toe, I guess it doesn't really matter whether you stomp or not, but it probably is for stabilization, like we said earlier. It's always easier to plant your foot down then hit, rather than having to hit with your foot in the air.

9. macazteeg

macazteeg Regular Member

Psychologist
    Hey, have you noticed my thread on sport psychology? please post your problem on that thread and i'll try to answer it

10. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Too much stomping can cause back-pain & Knee. So don't over do it. Stomping is liked grinding your teeth when you know you have a Good sHOt for a smash or a winning killed.that's is when i stomped-to increase power/thinking am increasing power/it becomes a bad-habit, but now i need to stop doing that cause too much vibration to my back spine and can cause problem....unless you have YONEX floor at your gym.

11. TIMO1

TIMO1 Regular Member

i only stomp when im doing a backhand clear. Feel like a stronger shot compared to not stomping. weird.

12. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Try to Grind your teeth....

If you wear mouth guard and grind your teeth tightly as you hit the birdy--you will increase power. But the draw back---you look like a MONKEY, with mouth sticking out like a boxer.......

13. Big L4

Big L4 Regular Member

Student. Making a mental badminton encyclopedia.
    Personnaly, i belive there are a few reasons for the stomping:

-Maximise explosive power (ever noticed that when you try to "explode" you reach maximum power more easily when your whole body is at it.)
    -Balance and stability (sometimes in the rearcourt right before making a clear I instinctively pull one leg up to avoid bending/falling backwards and then stamp at the same time as I hit the shuttle to counter my backward momentum instead of relying simply on floor friction to stop my mouvement.)
    -Recovery

14. BernieR

BernieR Regular Member

Interestingly, I went to look at Pratipat Mallawong's coaching website after somebody recommended it the other day, and I found a video about stamping, which he calls the "Kip Step" (I wonder if he means "kick step", his English isn't perfect).

Anyway, he provides a convincing explanation of why you should do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s9Jv5E06v0&list=UUyPBAOkmvvQNDp6UK1nv5og

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The normal term for this is a lunge, but he's doing it badly. Lunges are supposed to absorb the force of your movement to the shuttle.

A correct lunge places the heel on the floor first, and then rolls the foot forwards until the toes contact the ground. This takes very little time, but it's important for stopping efficiently and reducing the forces at the leg joints (especially the knees). Badminton is a high-impact sport and you need to look after your knees, ankles, and hips!

I cover this and other aspects of lunge technique in my footwork guide. Learning this technique is important, because it will help prevent injuries.

"Stamping" should almost always be avoided. It is a footwork error, except in very specific situations. Players with good footwork move quietly around the court. It is remarkable how little noise the top players make when they move. They do not stamp; they almost seem to float!

There are occasional exceptions to this rule. For example, sometimes you might leap forwards for a net kill, leaving yourself off-balance and landing on only your front foot. Your recovery will be severely compromised, but that doesn't matter if you killed the shuttle. You could describe this as stamping.

But in general, you should be lunging and not stamping. You will move around the court better, and your knees will thank you.

#15 Gollum, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  16. BernieR

BernieR Regular Member

I'm not sure about that Gollum: he shows the Kip (or Kick) Step even when hitting the shuttle fairly close to the body.

17. BernieR

BernieR Regular Member

What really interests me about it is that I did it spontaneously, but I can see that his explanation for why I/we do it rings true.

18. samir12

samir12 Regular Member

I tend to stamp unconsciously if I get to the shuttle really late so it is a footwork issue for me

19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

The explanation given in that kick step vid is totally wrong. Firstly, just because your leg is in the air does not mean your core muscles are relaxed! Secondly muscles do not contract most efficiently from rest! If they did then the split step wouldn't be of any use.

20. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

I stomp my foot (right) to trick my opponents. Try it sometime, it's not as effective at the rearcourt, but quite effective in the forecourt.