Racket protection tape

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by Warlock, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Warlock

Warlock Regular Member

Looking for the kind of tape to wrap on the racket from 9-3o'clockWhere can I get them in Singapore?Any alternatives to them?Thanks

2. visor

visor Regular Member

For tennis rackets, it'll protect from scrapes on the ground. But for badminton rackets, it'll increase your swingweight significantly such that it will not play the same as it was meant to be. Eg if you did that to an Arc 10, it will be changed to feel like a VT70.

3. Scottie

Scottie New Member

Telecommunications Engineer
    Racket protection tape and it's affect on racket swingweight

Just came across your thread. I measured a badminton racket on my Accuswing swingweight machine.

Racket type: Ashaway Kevlar - 5000 SQ Muscle badminton frame

Swingweight result: 102 Units. ( Average of 3 tests)

Applied 12mm electrical insulation tape between 9 o'clock & 3 o'clock position on frame:

Result: Swingweight increased to 104 units. i.e. an increase of only 2 units.

I doubt very much whether you will feel an increase of 2 units in swingweight.

Conclusion: Your information is incorrect.

4. Scottie

Scottie New Member

Telecommunications Engineer
    Racket protection tape and it's affect on racket swingweight

Dear Visor,

Just came across your thread stating that adding head protection will alter the swingweight of a badminton racket significantly.

I measured a badminton racket on my Accuswing swingweight machine.

Racket type: Ashaway Kevlar - 5000 SQ Muscle badminton frame. (No head protection tape)

Swingweight result: 102 Units. ( Average of 3 tests)

Applied 12mm electrical insulation tape between 9 o'clock & 3 o'clock position on frame:

Result: Swingweight increased to 104 units. i.e. an increase of only 2 units.

I doubt very much whether you will feel an increase of 2 units in swingweight.

Conclusion: Your information is incorrect.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

From my experience, that amount of tape will weigh around 1.2g and increase your bp by about 5mm. You may think 1.2g is not a lot, but that's about 1/4 of the weight of a shuttle. And an increase of 5mm bp due to head wt increase is quite significant and noticeable. That would mean the difference between a balanced racket like Arc10 and a head heavy racket like VT70.

Anyways, you may not feel an increase of 1.2g head wt and 5mm bp increase, but I most certainly can, and it affects my attack and defence concomitantly.