Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

It's not WR that matters. What matters is the level of play. Chinese superstars, like YY, ZJH, LD, usually are already at the highest level before 20.

For example, LD was in the MS final of 2001 All China Games, and lost to Luo YiGang in 3 games. He also beat the (then) reigning OG champion JXP if I remember correctly. ZJH beat all the top players convincingly when he was 19.

CL, on the other hand, is already 20 but still clearly below the level of most top 10 players (LD, LCW, PG, BCL, CJ, TH, SDK). Furthermore, taking into account his size, 2-3 years from now he may be troubled by injury (as BCL and CJ).

Overall, I doubt CL can reach higher than a typical 3rd or 4th MS in China. May end up similar to CY.

2. jutawin

jutawin Regular Member

Student
    high burden for LCW to remain as WR#1 until PG 2012..

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    If LCW is to lose his No.1 World Ranking, it would be to a player from China

When I created this thread, I was quite convinced that LCW would possibly remain as the World No.1 until the 2012 Olympic Games. It is the event where LCW said he would be retiring after participating in it.

One of the reasons for LCW to easily hold on to his No.1 World Ranking is that China appears not interested in regaining that position for CHN players anymore. The other reason is that, currently there is no player from outside China capable to topple LCW.

To put it in another way, what I am saying is that if LCW is to lose his No.1 World Ranking, it would be to a player from China. But since China is not interested, LCW could possibly remain as the World No.1, without much problem, until he retires after the 2012 Olympic Games.

:):):)

#63 chris-ccc, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmmmm...well..

..well, if you're to ask me whether i think Dragon Chen has the gutso to challenge the world beaters, i can only give you a pseudo-on the fence opinion of "yes he does have the guts".
    However, i can tell you, a lot of the PAWers had the gusto to PAW on Chen Long to redeem himself vs. HH, y'day.
    And guess what, i'm sure you know what happened in their rematch..;)
    Yes, India Open wasn't the only event to judge Dragon Chen. Nor is this yr's BAC, for us to judge him.
    ..yes, regarding the differences between CL and LD, i've already somewhat mentioned about them in my post #55 (first portion), didn't i??

My point on bringing up the WR datas and that of LD's and LCW's ranking is to show that a player or players, given the right amt of tournaments exposure to participate in, can come out of nowhere and can shoot to the top in a matter of a few years. If you guys haven't realized, yes, both LD and LCW were not even in the WR record in April 2001 (abt 8 yrs ago). Compare to their standing in 2004/2005. Of course, it would take special talents like both of them to make it to the top. But to simply say a certain player will stay at his or her ranking for 3+ yrs and not take any account of other good players, unknown factors (other players retiring, change of BWF rulings and playing system etc.) & uncontrollable elements (injuries etc.) is i think a bit unrealistic.
    Did you or anyone ever foresee LD reaching the MS WR#1 and staying there for a long time when he first competed professionally?

Thus, i mentioned, it is not an easy task for a player to stay at the top for a long time. Also, LD was basically dominant between 2004-2008 (except for a brief period in 2006, where LCW took over the #1 spot), partly due to the wealth of talented compatriots in the CHN squad (CJ & BCL to name a couple).
    LCW??..

#64 ctjcad, Apr 8, 2009
  5. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

LCW to remain as WR1 till 2012 OG??

Lets not look that far ahead when it comes to LCW being WR1.

I would say that LCW wont be WR1 by end April 2010.

6. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Has discounted the other nations potential to develop a potential MS WR1

This is mind boggling indeed.

'China is no longer interested to have LD to regain his World No.1 position'

First of all, common sense dictates that the MS WR1 is not solely owned by China (LD) and Malaysia (LCW) only.

In badminton, there are shuttlers from other nations like Indonesia etc who can and have produced top rate MS shuttlers who have held the WR1 before.

The OG 2012 is still a long time away and anything can happen between now and then.

Can I say this person has given up on Indonesia, Denmark, South Korea etc? :p:p:p

#66 Pemuda, Apr 8, 2009
  7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Lin Dan is much better than Chen Long

It's not to say 'given up', but to say 'cannot find'.

Currently, if Lee Chong Wei's participation rate remains unchanged, he would surely hold the No.1 position for the next 12 months (that is to mid-2010).

Currently, if Lin Dan is to participate in more tournaments, he could be the most likely candidate to topple LCW by mid-2010. But CHN does not seem interested.

Some have said that Chen Long could be the one to topple Lee Chong Wei. If that is to happen, perhaps it could only be by early 2011. But we don't think it would happen if Lin Dan is still here. Why? Because we don't see that Chen Long is a better player than Lin Dan.

So here we are saying that if Lin Dan remains as the No.1 MS player for CHN, Chen Long would never get a chance to overtake Lee Chong Wei.

However, if Lin Dan is to allow Chen Long to become CHN's No.1 player, then perhaps Chen Long could topple Lee Chong Wei. But we know that Super Dan is a much better player than Chen Long (for the coming year or two).

Currently, we cannot find newer stronger Mens Singles players from Denmark, Indonesia, Korea, etc... Yes, perhaps some could appear later, perhaps in 2010 or in 2011. But it won't be likely that they could take away Lee Chong Wei' No.1 position by the time the 2012 Olympic Games Badminton event arrives.

8. volcom

volcom Regular Member

With age, LCW will slow down and get more injuries.
    Don't think he will last very long as long as he continues to participate so much. He will be a spent-force like Chen Hong, who also won many titles.

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    'Participation' isn't going to help Chong Wei remain at No. 1.
    'Winning' is what counts.

That raises the question: Can he keep winning?

Like what happened at the 2009 India Open, isn't it possible that Lee Chong Wei will run into another upstart or seasoned contender in one of the many many tournaments ahead?

I hope this is NOT another way of saying that Lee Chong Wei can't be beaten by anyone other than Lin Dan. Such an argument smacks of jingoism or misplaced optimism or both :p

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei can still be No.1 if he is to be Runners-Up throughout 2009

Disagree. :p:p:p

With his big lead in the World Ranking points, Lee Chong Wei can still be No.1 if he is to come up as Runners-Up in all his tournament in 2009.
    No, we are not here to say that Lee Chong Wei is unbeatable.

We are saying that no one (currently) can earn enough points to overtake him.

11. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Er, I don't see how he can become a Runner-Up without 'winning'.

If participation is enough, then he might as well do an 'India-Open-appearance' in every tournament ahead. That makes things a lot easier for him :eek:

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I would rather be a winner than just be No1. Like Tiger Woods, he is no longer no1. But people still remembers him as a Winner and a player who made the most impact in the game of GOLF.

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

World Rankings do not matter much for the better players

Yes ... In a way, Tiger Woods is like Lin Dan.

Knowing that they are excellent in their sports, the World Rankings do not matter much for them. ;););)

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Btw..

..just in case & just to cover all the bases in the likelihood scenario LCW's WR #1 is overtaken before the 2012 OG, chris@ccc has put forth a challenge that he doesn't see any other player(s) other than those from CHN would be able to claim the WR #1 spot...(post #63 & 67). In other words, if a player from CHN overtakes LCW's WR#1 spot before the 2012 OG, it is as expected.

Thus, this thread sounds more like "Which other non-CHN MS player9s) can challenge LCW and overtake his WR#1 spot before the 2012 OG??"...;)

#74 ctjcad, Apr 8, 2009
  15. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    To keep his WR - I must say Lee Chong Wei played the biggest part. Neither Chen Long, nor anyone.

16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

3 different corners of winning

How do you discuss sensibly when you don't seem to be on the same wavelength on 'winning'?
    Chris' meaning of winning is 'winning titles'.
    Oldhand's is just 'winning matches'
    Ants' is being perceived a winner without winning.
    What's a current WR1?
    A current WR1 is a current superior mark of consistency.A former WR1 is an indication of former supremacy.It is not possible to be WR1 by just maximising tournament attendance.A player has to be able to reach or win finals most of the time to attain WR1.Sometimes they achieved it with assists (eg LD) and sometimes on their own(eg LCW) Certainly it's gonna be a lot tougher for LCW to maintain his WR1 on his own steam.
    The interesting thing about LCW is that he has reached WR1 when there's still lots of room for improvement.Eg his tactics.As LM said,it's still behind LD. Can you imagine LCW playing even better when his tactics is superior even when his speed is less?
    But to say that CHN seems not interested in WR is first class diplomacy.If CHN is not interested in WR, why would they bother to win? It's just not easy for CHN now as long as non-CHN teams maintain or increase their budget and continue to send their players for exposure.Non-CHN BAs determine CHN's progress through their participation strategy.Previously,non-CHN increase their budget for Olympics year.If they are smart, they should maintain or increase their budgets until their stars are more established in the rankings.Then they can cut down the budget to just maintain exposure for their top players.

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    My Winner is Winner of Titles. Not Winner in 1st or 2nd rounds. This got nothing to do with LCW personally. What i mean is in General.

18. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Lets not underrestimate badminton playing nations like Indonesia, Denmark, South Korea etc by one stroke of a brush, 'cannot find'. These nations have a successful tradition competing and winning the highest honours in badminton i.e OG gold, WC & AE.

Apr 2009 till OG 2012 is still a long way off. Anything can happen along the way.

LCW, by participating alone wont be guaranteed that WR1 spot because you need to be raking em' titles in by the bus loads to be WR1. Participation, good looks. sense of humour and all dont count.

It is not impossible for Chen Long or whoever from China to topple LCW even though he may not be as good as LD. As you have said, LD will only be participating in certain selected tournaments.

LCW is 27 years old and if you look at our Malaysian shuttlers track record, most of them will slide downhill once they hit their late 20s.

19. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i dont mind not having big titles in hand.

but, as world number one from 2008-2012, that is 48 months or 208 weeks or 1,460 days. i want it.....:D:p. will it be a record? :D

20. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Especially if the sponsors got pay incentive for maintaining WR#1 for XXX months/yrs.
    Maybe our chris@ccc struck a wager with his buddies on this? That's why he started the thread?:p:p