different clubs different attitudes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jan 3, 2011.

1. gsrturbo

gsrturbo Regular Member

yeah I've seen these occasion happen in our place as well. But to join a new group not knowing their levels is quite diff to blend in if the std or level is vastly diff. But to counter this we will try to group the weaker guy with the better guy.

Our regulars comprises of 3 diff levels as well. there is tis one guy which is in the A players region which are above us, and is a single player. But when he plays, he doesn't use much effort at all and doesn't rely on smashes to get pts, only sharp drops, push and etc..even though we can beat him but he still doesn't show much aggressive movements or real commitment. But we doesn't have problem cause we play with each other often enough to know their capability. and the weirdest thing is he only comes w 2 rackets (z-slash) and a towel, jst like a recreational player, but when playin on court is a totally diff ball game.

Its not a problem playing among ur cliques, only when u play w strangers its quite diff, the difference in level will be very vast and its not goin to be enjoyable at all.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I would ban anyone not wishing to play with every other player

In my club, I would ban anyone not wishing to play with every other player. :):):)

3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Love to play at ur place one day Chris. I'll let u know when I'm flying down there

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Great if you can come over to play with us at CCC Badminton

Great if you can come over to play with us at CCC Badminton. :):):)

Because of our CCC Badminton site at BadmintonCentral, many Badminton visitors to Melbourne (from within Australia or overseas) do join us to enjoy Badminton. :):):)

5. Ruben VM

Ruben VM Regular Member

Student
    In sport management it's called "differences in club culture". The board plays an important role in this and it's diffucult to change. Other sports have the same issue.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

While this can be irritating, it's also often necessary.

Different clubs cater to different demands. It's fantastic to have clubs that accept a wide range of standards -- for example, it means I can play at a club together with my dad. On the other hand, it's important to have more selective clubs available for players who want a consistent level of opposition.

Many clubs run graded club nights, where players of different standards play on different nights of the week. Personally, I'd find it immensely frustrating if I couldn't play at my "A" graded clubnight, and always had to mix it with the "B", "C", and "D" players (shudder quotes because gradings are highly population-relative and mean bugger-all out of context). Playing with the "A" group helps correct bad habits -- if I'm doing something stupid, I'll almost never get away with it. Playing with a mixed-standard group allows me to get sloppy.

Exclusivity can be appropriate in other circumstances too. For example, some clubs cater exclusively to the over-50s, some of whom don't like the idea of being run ragged by fit, arrogant teenagers. ;) I think that's reasonable -- although obviously we don't want clubs excluding black people, for example! :eek: One wonders exactly where to draw the line...

What I really despise is the snootiness that sometimes comes with a graded club night: they can form a clique. Sometimes the minimum playing standard gets twisted into a "playing style" requirement. I think any playing standard requirement should be assessed on actual results during club games, not on "style". Otherwise, you get bruised egos passing judgement on players who, despite their alleged weaknesses, keep winning games!

7. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    On the other end of the spectrum, I've sometimes seen A players recruit a B player to their group if they see potential in the lower level player. The B player essentially gets tested to see if he's capable of becoming A within a certain time-frame.
    I think the whole culture and interaction between different level players is really neat.

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Yes, that's also a good approach, especially with juniors.

It's when players are rejected based on being "too weak", despite consistently winning games, that I smell a rat. ;)

9. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

While it is not acceptable to not wanting to play with someone who come to your club, but sometime you just can't help but refuse to play with a particular person. This is because playing with that individual is so not fun (at all)!!!

I joined a club which have players of all sort of skill level and ability, from beginners to advanced players and everyone is cool pairing up with anyone. But, there comes a kid (who is like 17 years old) who is all cocky with an attitude. I just don't enjoy playing with and avoid every opportunity to do so. Simply because he wasn't serious when he is playing on court. He is a good player but somehow he just know how to irk you on court. Doing fancy shots like taking shuttle between his legs(when he can easily take the shuttle at a higher point). As his partner, I just really can't stand this especially we miss a few points due to him wanting to show off on court!

And when he is playing against weaker players, you can obviously tell that he is not trying at all. He will look around as if he doesn't even want to be there and I am pretty sure that the weaker players won't feel good about it. While playing against him, you will have to endure thrash talking from him (or he will give you a cocky grin) when he gain a point from his fancy shots and I just simply don't like playing with him(or against him).

Call me an a** if you must, but I will avoid every opportunity to play with him if I could. I am fine with others though.

10. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    OT: just my 2 cents about double pair
    me and my group are recreational players (but pretty dead serious when play the game, I think we should try to challenge a club for spar or something)
    4-7 players each time playing
    we play mainly double (And then after that few single games)

I would try to avoid play with one of my friend simply because he doesn't understand about playing in pair!
    we played for 3 years, and he never learn!
    the problem is not the differences in strategy, but because he always try to get the birds all the time, even invading your space (single mind set)
    he doesn't understand double strategy.. (told him about it and forgot in 5 seconds)

try to bear with it when paired up with him, because I know we will lose pretty fast

11. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    I play at two different clubs in my area, one is very strong and the other attracts a wide range of players.
    As far as different attitudes go, I made the Mens 1st team for the strong club, but only made Mens 2nd for the weaker club. The weaker club took the attitude that I hadn't been in the club as long as the players in the 1st team so I can't replace them. The strong club decided I was better than a player in their team and I was played instead of them in that match. (I am away at uni and the snow cancelled a lot of matches over my christmas holidays). I had been at the weaker club for 3~4 years and the strong club for 9ish months.

12. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    for some clubs, "seniority" is more important than good player
    you will never grow if they dragged you down
    it is best to ignore them

13. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Yeah, I only play there now cos the younger lot are my mates, I play league for the other club.

14. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    lcleing: it is clear that the person you describe has not respect for the other people in the club. It is SO important, when playing with people that you can beat easily, that you treat them with respect and play seriously - that doesn't mean thrash them with your best shots, but treat them as a worthy adversary - something the guy you described does not do. It is a shame that people like that ruin the enjoyment for others. I understand you not wanting to play with him.

I would also like to share my experiences with regard to county badminton. I didn't play badminton as a junior. I have never played on the county junior circuit. I don't "know" people in the county squads, and I can't afford to pay for private coaching with a top county coach. So how do I get into this club of players? I see them play amongst themselves a lot. They are good players, some of them. I also see some of the younger ones, who are technically good but tactically awful. I want to be given a chance to play amongst them, to see if I am, or CAN BE good enough to play amongst them. The problem is, there is NO reason for them to play against me. If they win, they were expected to win. If they lose, they might lose their place in the county squad. This isn't fair! How I am supposed to play amongst them unless I have a chance to prove myself? At the same time, I played in the county restricted tournament against some of the county players, and I beat two of the current county thirds. They are young guys, and the best players would have beaten me... but I didn't even get talked to about beating them. I got the impression that the only way to make an impression amongst these players, was to beat a member of their first team. Am I the only one who thinks thats unreasonable? How am I supposed to become good enough to beat someone as good as that, without playing at a similar standard?

Thats the end of my rant :)

Matt

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I dont know how exactly how it works there, but couldn't you join a competition so that you can have a chance beating them?

16. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    MSeeley, if you're really confident in your game:
    you can walk up and challenge them... loser gives winner a feather bird for each game.

If you can beat them, not only will they keep challenging you back, you'll also be getting free birds :D

17. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    To yoppy - I DID join a competition (the one used for county selection) and I DID beat some of them. I gained no recognition for it... why? I don't know :( Like I said its probably because I was beating the lower standard players, not the higher standard players... but I have had no training like they get, have been playing less time, and would love a chance to work hard and improve. I am frustrated that I didn't get more of an opportunity to show my skills (remember, I am nervous, these guys are very good, I am not playing my best, and I am not used to the conditions and standard/pace like they are). Hopefully next time I can beat someone good, but if I can beat the lower standard players, why can't I train at their standard?

To urameatball: I only just realised you posted something on the second page - you made an EXCELLENT point regarding the runners! What I am proposing, is that the Elite runners like you say spend some time with the up and coming runners - who are not quite at that world class standard, who in turn spend time with the next level down, and so on down to beginners. However, I also feel, that the situation you described, it would NOT be harmful for the sprinter going 10mph to spend 5 minutes chatting to the enthusiastic runner who asked for help - obviously training together is not right, but spending some (limited) time together - only a very small amount, is not, in my opinion going to be damaging. I don't believe that runner would be affected by a 5 minute break, and the learner would benefit hugely, and go on to tell his friends! This is the way I see it.

I wondered if you would be interested in reading this article about badminton development... see what you think :)
    http://www.badmintonlife.com/2010/your-obligation-as-a-badminton-fan/

With regard to challenging them... the problem is, they do not let "outsiders" into their training, I don't know where it is or when it is, so I can't even begin to get in with them, they are so closed off as a group. And why? They get what they need, but they don't have the threat of losing to outsiders like me. I probably wouldn't beat them, but give me two weeks and I will be winning games! If I did try to challenge them, they can simply refuse to do so, claiming its a waste of their time, because I am not good enough to play with them (sound familiar?) all the while they know that they have everything to lose (their place in the squad) and nothing to gain (who cares about beating some random outsider?)

Very frustrating

Cheers

Matt

18. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Very frustrating indeed Matt.

If you were to migrate to Australia I will welcome you to our club :)

19. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Thanks yoppy :) Not anytime soon Im afraid...

20. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    This is in response to what Gollum lcleing & Mseeley were discussing.

I am with Icleing-Players attitude is more important than his skills. I am more than happy to play with a lesser player who wish to improve/willing to listen. Same way, I hate to play with a superior player who show an attitude by not playing seriously. Also there are a few players who play reasonably good-but in a weird style and not willing to change. We have one such partner who thinks it is clever to drop where he could have played a winning shot. When ever I play with him, I am in dilemma-I do not know where to stand (Attack of defense) Many times, seeing a slow drop from my partner, I was forced to retreat back and opponents could play an easy winning shot (Net tumble or tap). At the end, he blames me for not guarding the net-really frustrating.

Gollum, winning is not always and indication of players true skills & caliber in regular club games (unless it is a tournament where you really want to win) Some weird styles can really surprise you, break the rhythm and tire you out. There are some players who serves really high to the back court in a doubles match. A very hard smash can win you the rally outright. But after receiving 10-15 such serves, you may loose interest, feel pain in the joints and prefer to play an easy shot instead. Same can happen when you play against good defenders-especially when your partner do not support you with the same intensity attacking play. These cases, the opponents whom you consider weaker may eventually win a few games-does not mean that they are better players

In the club where I play, we have 5 courts. 3 are open-you can buy a 1$ ticket and play for an hour, no questions asked. You need to share the space with other players around, also you will never get a chance to choose your partner and opponents. The other 2 courts are reserved for regulars/elite players. You pay premium to play in those courts and you need to be an "A" player. 2 years, I played in the open court which was really frustrating-but the hard work has paid off. I got promotion and now I play in the company of A players. Still I luv their system
    NP