P. V. Sindhu पुसर्ला वेन्कटा सिन्धु

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by cobalt, Jun 20, 2011.

1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Interview with ace shuttler PV Sindhu: “I want to break into the top 10 by year-end”[/h]http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/07/...-i-want-to-break-into-the-top-10-by-year-end/

EXCERPTS
    :

Badminton
    Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email

Jul 2 2013 Interview

[h=1]Interview with ace shuttler PV Sindhu: “I want to break into the top 10 by year-end”[/h]

[​IMG]
    PV Sindhu has been touted as the next best thing to have happened to Indian badminton after Saina Nehwal. The world number 12 is now setting her sights on a decent performance in the upcoming World Championships, slated to be held in Guangzhou next month.

“I’m training hard for the World Championships, hopefully I will fare well,” Sindhu says in an exclusive interview to Sportskeeda.

The gangling Hyderabad-based shuttler last appeared in the Sudirman Cup.

2013 has been a fruitful year for Sindhu. She clinched her first senior singles crown, winning the Malaysian Grand Prix Gold event after getting the better of Singaporean Juan Gu in three tight games.

“That triumph will have special memories for me. Juan was coming hard at me and I had to really to battle hard to overcome her. I just hope this will be the beginning of many more to come,” she recalls.

The last time Sindhu came close to winning a Grand Prix Gold was at the Syed Modi India International in Lucknow last year when she lost in the final to Indonesian Lindaweni Fanetri.

The 18-year-old BPCL employee reached the quarterfinals of the Badminton Asia Championship besides entering the semifinals of the Indian Open.

“My consistency has improved this year, I want to keep improving and raise the performance bar.”

A first year B.Com student of St. Ann’s College, Hyderabad, Sindhu’s unremitting focus on the game ensures her academics take a backseat.

“Time constraints are always there. I recently appeared in my B.Com first year exams – I think I studied for a week or so – let’s see how my results pan out,” she says.

Born to a family of volleyball players (her father and mother are former volleyball players), Sindhu spares no effort to work on her weaknesses.

“I have a height advantage and so delivering smashes is my strength but I need to work on my defence, which lets me down at times,” she opines.

Sindhu is now determined to break into the top-10 by 2013 end.

“I want to remain in the top-10 by the end of 2013. I will take it from there, that’s the realistic goal I have for now,” she outlines her future aspirations.

The might of the Chinese shuttlers seems to be dwindling, and Sindhu feels that it is happening because other countries are catching up fast.

“It’s not that Chinese are falling away. In fact, other countries are producing players who can take the Chinese head-on. Look at Japan’s Minatsu Mitani or Thailand’s Ratchanok Inthanon or Germany’s Juliane Schenk, all are coming up. Indian shuttlers are starting to beat the Chinese players, so you could say coaches of other nations have raised the bar,” says the shuttler, whose role model is Lin Dan.

“I like the way Lin Dan carries himself on court. The amount of international success he has had is so inspiring for any youngster and I’m no different,” came the parting shot.

It's interesting to see her talking about LinDan ..
    Hopefully, she can do better than her compatriot, i wish her for her upcoming tournaments..
    :)

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Sindhu celebrates her 18 th birthday..

Happy birthday and many more returns of the day Sindhu..!!!

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Happy Birthday, Sindhu!

18 years old!! Is that the voting age in India?

4. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]PV Sindhu has 3 wishes for her 18th birthday[/h]
    [h=2]On the eve of her 18th birthday, India's rising shuttler P V Sindhu wishes for three things this year -- at least a semifinal finish at next month's World Championship, a place in the top 10 ranking and qualifying for World Super Series Final in December.[/h]
    http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/badminton/210282-pv-sindhu-has-3-wishes-for-her-18th-birthday

EXCERPTS:

On the eve of her 18th birthday, India's rising shuttler P V Sindhu wishes for three things this year -- at least a semifinal finish at next month's World Championship, a place in the top 10 ranking and qualifying for World Super Series Final in December.

In a two-year-old international career, Sindhu has broken into top 20 in September 2012, clinched the Malaysian Grand Prix Gold in May this year and now is just two places away from cracking the elite top-10 bracket.

Currently recovering from a knee injury, Sindhu has already chalked out her plan for the year.

"I had injured my right knee last year, which affected my game. But this year I was fine till the Sudirman Cup where I hurt my other knee. I missed Thailand and Indonesia Open due to the injury but I hope to be fit for the prestigious World Championships," Sindhu told PTI.

"This is the first time I would be playing the World Championships and I would like to at least make it to the semifinals. This is my immediate target," she added.

Speaking about her other goals for the year, Sindhu said: "I am world number 12 now and want to break into the top 10 by this year end. Besides, I also want to qualify for the World Super Series. It is not going to be easy as only the top eight qualifies."

The World Championships is slated to be held in Guangzhou, China from August 5 to 11, while the Super series Finals is scheduled for December 11-15.

Though she has achieved a lot in the last couple of years, Sindhu could have done better had it not been for her injuries, which she suffered at an early stage of her international career.

After shocking London Olympics gold medallist Li Xuerui of China at China Masters last year, she was plagued by a right knee injury that also spoilt her Senior Nationals campaign in Srinagar, where she finished runners-up. She also made it to the finals of the Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold.

Having recovering from the injury completely, Sindhu played in Korea, Malaysia, England, Switzerland and Chinese Taipei this year. She reached the semifinals of the India Open and then went on to win the Malaysian Grand Prix Gold.

But once again injuries came to haunt her when she hurt her left knee at Sudirman Cup in Kuala Lumpur.

"Last year, because of injury I could not play in the World Junior and also in the senior nationals I had to play with a knee cap. This year too I had to skip two important events (Thailand and Indonesia)," she said.

Sindhu is one of the six icon players who would start with a base price of USD 50,000 in the July 19 auction of the inaugural Indian Badminton League, which is scheduled to be held from August 14 to 31.

"I am really looking forward to IBL. It is a good initiative. I'm waiting for the auctions to find out which team I will represent. It will be exciting," she said.

Born to former volleyball players P V Ramana and P Vijaya, Sindhu could have become a spiker herself but she choose badminton.

Inspired by national coach Pullela Gopichand's 2001 All England Championship title, Sindhu dreamt of donning India colours someday and she was well supported by her parents.

"I always had very supportive parents. They have made a lot of sacrifices for me. I remember for the first couple of years, I had to travel a lot to reach the Gachibowli stadium as we were staying in Secunderabad. So they shifted base near Gachibowli," said Sindhu, who is expecting a big bash on her birthday on Friday.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Sindhu launches Shuttle Express

HYDERABAD, July 17, 2013
    http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-sports/sindhu-launches-shuttle-express/article4922462.ece

Excerpts:

Malaysian Grand Prix champion and IBL icon player P.V. Sindhu launched the Indian Badminton League’s school programme initiative —Shuttle Express Hyderabad leg — at the Indus World School here on Tuesday.

...Talking to the media after the function , P.V. Sindhu said that she was happy with the concept and felt that it would help to promote the sport among school children. She also expressed satisfaction at the response that the scheme had got from the children as well as parents.

Akhilesh Das Gupta, President, BAI, expressed similar sentiments and felt that the efforts of the badminton icons to visit schools in different cities will inspire children to take up the sport and in turn it will unearth talent in the years to come.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Confident of taking on Yihan Wang: Sindhu

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/07/27/confident-of-taking-on-yihan-wang-sindhu/
    [/h]
    EXCERPTS:

BadmintonWorld Championships 2013
    Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on email

Jul 27 2013 News

[h=1]Confident of taking on Yihan Wang: Sindhu[/h]

[​IMG]

P.V. Sindhu

New Delhi -
    Indian shuttler Pusarla Venkata Sindhu says she is confident of taking on defending champion Yihan Wang at the Guangzhou World Championships from Aug 5-11.

The two have met only once, at the Sudirman Cup in May, and the Chinese World No.2 Yihan won that encounter against the 18-year-old Indian 19-21, 21-16, 21-14, as her team cantered to a 5-0 victory.

The World No.12 has a first round bye at the world championships and she is expected to ease past her second round opponent, either Indonesia’s World No.22 Aprilla Yuswandari or Japan’s World No.32 Kaori Imabeppu, before she takes on defending champion Yihan.

“Well I am taking one match at a time. I have a first round bye then in the second round I will be facing either Aprilla or Kaori, both are tough opponents. If I get past the first hurdle then it will be Yihan. When we met in the Sudirman Cup, I took the first game and ran very close in the second. That gave me a lot of confidence and the hope of beating her. I think it is possible to beat her now since I know how she plays,” Sindhu told IANS from Hyderabad.

The 18-year-old, who will be participating in the world championships for the first time, said that she started her preparation two weeks ago.

“It is two weeks now that I have been training and things are fine. Me and my support staff planned how to go about it. I have seen the draw and how each one of my likely opponents plays to chalk out the strategy, viewing and studying the players’ videos,” said the tall lanky Hyderabadi, who is currently pursuing B.Com from St. Ann’s, Mehdipatnam.

Sindhu has been off court for a couple of months owing to a knee injury and missed both Super Series events in Indonesia and Singapore, but she says she is fully fit now.

“I am fine now. I pulled out Indonesia and Singapore events owing to a niggle in the right knee. Then I had some problem with my left knee. The rest helped helped me and now I am trying to improve my endurance levels with regular exercise,” said Sindhu, who in May won her first Grand Prix Gold title at the Malaysia Open.

What is her immediate target?

“I would like to get into the top-10 by the end of the year and if I achieve it, I would like to protect my ranking. The idea is to play well and give my 100 percent.”

Sindhu on Monday was sold for $80,000 to the Awadh Warriors in the Indian Badminton League (IBL) players auction and is their icon player.

“I am quite happy that I would be playing for Lucknow. I did not really think about the price, I am happy with what I got. All the teams in the IBL are more or less of the same standard at the moment and I will try my best to keep my team afloat,” Sindhu signed off.

She has the confidence and self motivation. Great personality :).

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sindhu should have a chance to meet Saina during the IBL and the outcome should be interesting.

But I think SN is well prepared for the eventuality. They must have trained together under Gopi sir or have they?

10. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Though i praise sindhu for her continuous improvement, if there is a chance for both of them to meet, i support only Saina.

11. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    A win against SN would be a morale booster... :) This would be the kinda game I would love to watch where anyone wins it doesnt matters to me, both are my favourites...
    I guess they train together so know each other as well. Would love to see them both playing their points against each other, see where they stand!

I wish they can form a WD partnership, but IBL doesnt sports it neither they would be in the same side.

12. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one

Yep. It would be interesting. Even P.V.Sindhu's father was more exciting to watch her daughter playing Saina in IBL. Hence, it seems like everybody is expecting the outcome. Though i support Saina, Sindhu has slight edge over her senior compatriot. :( You know one thing. I wanna praise BAI for sending sindhu to the sudirman cup 2013 to gain more experience. Her experience against Wang Yihan is a vital one for her career improvement. Let's see how she will do against yihan in world championships 2013. Yihan being in the chinese team, they are training like anything. I have some of the pictures in some of chinese newspapers where they have been training very very hard. It will be a difficult thing to beat them in their home ground. If any of the players around the world tries to and beat them, then we have to salute them. :)

#292 scorpion1, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Perhaps more body smash to Sindhu will do the trick!

14. bdfreak87

bdfreak87 Regular Member

15. keenobserver

keenobserver Regular Member

retired
  16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Yep. That's why she proved it by beating Li Xuerui fresh from Olympics(gold) in China itself in front of her home crowd and also beating former world no.1/ Asian games gold medallist Wang shixian in the first ever meeting between them. ;):p:D.

Whether she wins against yihan or not, i like her self -confidence for a teenaged girl. :)

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

And Lu Lan was the first player to beat an even "fresher" LXR from the Olympics, how impressive. Yet Lu Lan wasn't good enough to be invited back to the CHN National Team.;):D Not only that, till today, no one in China or elsewhere bother to remind us about that famous victory.:rolleyes:

18. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    She did it..She kept her words.. In front of chinese crowd, with the way the chinese players are trained (mountain climbing is one among these), Sindhu won yihan in straight games in front of her home crowd. Now, she won all the top chinese players..

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Amazing win. Indian camp must be elated. Beating each of the Chinese players is one thing. Winning the tournaments is another.

20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    WORLDS R16 – Defending champ beaten by rising

http://www.badzine.net/news/worlds-r16-defending-champion-beaten-by-rising-star/26534/

EXCERPTS:

Wang Yihan was ousted by 18-year-old Indian Pusarla Venkata Sindhu in two, incredible games on Thursday at the Wang Lao Ji BWF World Badminton Championships in Guangzhou. By Renee Yang, Badzine Correspondent live in Guangzhou. Photos: Badmintonphoto (live)
    Despite the overwhelming support from the Chinese crowd here in Guangzhou, defending champion and No. 2 seed Wang Yihan was beaten in the third round by rising star P. V. Sindhu in straight games! The two players had met once previously, during this year’s Sudirman Cup when Wang beat the Indian in 3 games. This time, the Indian girl had obviously prepared very well for this match.

In the first game, she kept forcing Wang to move from her backhand baseline to the net with deep lifts and clears and accurate drops. Once Wang was out of position, Sindhu immediately attacked Wang’s forehand area with full strikes. Wang could not find any solution to Sindhu’s tactics. She once tried changing pace and attacking Sindhu’s backhand baseline and leveled the scores, but soon Sindhu could caught up with her pace and fought back. Wang had to pay more attention on placement and net play, which also cost her many errors. She soon lost the first game
    18-21.

[​IMG]

In the second game, Wang still could not find any solution to Sindhu’s attack, and even worse, she faced stamina problems in the middle of the game. When Sindhu played one drop shot very close to the net, Wang failed to reach the shuttle and lost her balance, she was exhausted and lay down on the mat for a while. Sindhu led all the way in the game and held three match points at 20-17.

The spectators, meanwhile, were all shouting ”Jiayou” to the Chinese star, even from the stands at the opposite end of the gymnasium and hoped she would be able to persevere. Wang struggled to fight back and levelled the score, then even got game point at 21-20, but soon she made mistakes and wasted her last attempt. Sindhu finally took the game 23-21.

The Indian youngster hugged her coach excitedly when she got the last point. “This the second time I’ve played her,” said Sindhu after her victory. “The first time I lost and now the second time, I have beaten her in straight sets. At 22-21, it was a very big rally and both of us were really tired, but I won so I’m very, very happy. “The main factors were the long rallies and I think my drops were really good today. “My coach Pullela Gopichand was an All England champion and Saina, Kashyap and I are all training under him and I am very thankful to him. It’s because of him that we are all here today.

[​IMG]

“Of course, China still has the top players but I think that Saina and me, we are already able to beat the Chinese players. I think that Kashyap and Ajay Jayaram will also be doing better in the coming months. I’m really very happy. Last year, I won against Li Xuerui and then I won against Wang Shixian and now I have beaten Wang Yihan.

“I don’t think it’s just the tall players who are strong, although there are a lot of good tall players, too. I think everyone is equal and whichever player can give 100% on the court is the winner.

“This is my first time in the World Championships and I am already in the quarters. First, I would win against Wang Shixian and then, we’ll see.”

During her post-match interview, Wang praised her opponent: “I played with her in this year’s Sudirman Cup events and she forced me to a rubber game. She performed very well today while I did not perform badly – I had a chance to win – but I just could not come through at crucial points and let chances slip away.

“Generally she had speed, height and reach so she was able to cover the whole court quickly. Sometimes I thought I had already forced her to a defensive situation, but she was always able to hit the shuttle back.

[​IMG]

“The Indian women’s single players are quite young and on the rise. They are in a position to challenge us, just like several years back when I was young, I also challenged the experienced players from other countries. These youngsters from Indian, Thailand and Japan gained experience from national events by playing with experienced players and have progressed day by day. So I think it’s normal for me to lose to her.

“Yes, I had some stamina problems today. Yesterday’s opponent was not a top player. I took the match easily so I didn’t really activate the whole potential and mood of my body, but today the pace of the match was fast, so I felt a lack of stamina to some extent.

Wang did not seem so disappointed about the result and kept smiling all the way, saying, “I have found that every time I have played in [the World Championship], the second match has always been tough for me. There must be a winner and loser in a match. It’s quite normal.”

Meanwhile, the 18-year-old Indian hopeful has created her own history by beating three top Chinese players within one year and it leaves one wondering: what we can expect from her afterwards? Is she indeed the dark horse for the title?

#300 scorpion1, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2013