Li Yongbo ( 李永波 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Han, Nov 11, 2007.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's actually a very interesting argument. if Olympics badminton is truely an individual sport, then why put limits on participation from each country? by the virtue that they have country limit makes it less clear whether it is an individual sport and more like a team/country sport.

perhaps what they should've done is to allow exactly 3 entries from each participating country, and let people use whatever team tactics they want to win the title. kinda like what they do for the Tour de France, each team gets 9 cyclists, they all help each other out but in the end, only one person wins the Tour.

2. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    just like WWE............all actions are staged...........:D:D:D ok ah, u smash my backhand after i clear it to you, ill pretend to dive and cant save it.

3. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    ill make it clearer for you about the choice LYB has to make.......

choice 1) being ethical (may the best man win) - good badminton coach.

choice 2) win at all cost so that he will be not risking his job. (let's don't forget that he has a family and a lifestyle to maintain) - good china coach.

IMO, LYB has made his choice and i respect that. Sometimes it's easier to talk when it doesn't really involve your life even a bit. Losing his job will mean losing everything for LYB as i don't think he will ever want to coach outside of CHN.

4. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    noone REALLY REALLY bothers about who is getting the silver. It's just like a consolation for not getting the gold (sorry to say this, but the truth is there will be only one gold to be offered). Maybe sometimes i can remember the silver medalist, but what's so important about the silver when all has set the target to get the gold.

#164 alfa-2, Nov 17, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2007
  5. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    Nothing escapes from POLITICS nowadays............except for..........

BC???:p:p:p

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    from my observation as well, WWF events are very very popular, even tho the matches are all, more or less, rigged or predetermined!!

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

ie, like him or hate him, he is behind the vocabulary of 'china domination';)

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

for canadian badminton players, being in the olympic team is an accomplishment. (check darryl young's resume). Nowadays, if ur not a gold medalist, nobody hardly remembers u.

9. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    :pnoone loves match fixing and that's including me although i respect LYB's decision.

Those who love match fixing
    1) the country who condones it
    2) the player who wins
    3) the coach who condones it
    4) the fan maybe...........

Those who hate match fixing
    1) everyone else except for those stated above............

so which category are you in??:p:p:p

#169 alfa-2, Nov 17, 2007
  10. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    For china domination, none could have done it better than him. Though it's not ethical, i'll give it to him of having the PROWESS to do it.

11. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    I don't blame China and/or LYB for match fixing... in fact I blame all the other players for not being better than team China. If they can knock team China out of the tournament sooner, then there is no possible way they can do any match fixing.

So am I in the "anti-everyone else" category?

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Sorry,it doesn't make sense to compare cycling with badminton.In cycling, team members help out but they do not sap away opponent energy or conserve compatriot energy like badminton, a racquet sport.
    You want to see badminton as a team sport? Well, there's Thomas Cup, Uber Cup and Sudirman Cup.
    When coaches resort to match order tactics , it means their charges are not good enough or they are not confident of their charges being able to win on their own merit.

13. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    There is no legal issue here, Li Yongbo entitled to do what he had done before and will continue to enforce his beliefs during Olympic but is this good for badminton which is still trying to stay as one of the Olympic sports?
    Lets say the coming Olympic has a "funny" draw with the following match up in QF:
    Lin Dan vs Bao Chunlai;
    Taufik Hidayat vs Soni Kuncoro;
    Peter Gade vs Kenneth Jonassen;
    Lee Chong Wei vs Wong Choon Hann;
    Every country knows Li Yongbo will order Bao to lose and not to be at the disadvantage side, similar orders are also made from other QF nations, can you see the dilemma? TV rating will dip, title honor will taint and this sport may even be the laughing stock ...
    Come to think of it, will Yap Kim Hock, Morten Frost, Christian Hadinata actually take the same route as Li Yongbo? Really don't wish to find out this darkest day of badminton era. :crying::crying:

14. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    What does 'everyone else' mean?

If you mean the fault lies with other competitors not being up to par with China then I'm quite sure 'everyone else' agrees with you in a nutshell.

However, the topic concentrates on something that is beyond the control their competitors and organisers which is solely within the jurisdiction and rights of the team itself.

Sportmanship is an ideal in sports but the ultimate aim of a competition is to win. As mentioned earlier in this thread - if you're first you're first, if you're second you're nothing.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i believe there is no right answer here because everyone is judging this lyb's action from their own moral standard. Moral is often not black and white and therefore we all have difference degree of opinion on this, even on both pro and con sides. BWF didnt penalized china for this, IOC didn't change any things because of this, danish team didn't lodge any complaints now or back in 2000. It was LYB who voluntary disclose his action publicly recently, not even YZY spoken out. If LYB made a public admittance to this, i'm sure he 'personally' feel it was right thing to do at that time. I mean, who wanna disclose their dirty laundary voluntarily unless he thot it was done for a reason, to lyb, a noble reason.

I dont know what ranking yzy and gzc were back then but if they were seeded 1 and 2, they should be on a different ladder, and one of them would meet up CM in the SF, not 2 chinese in the SF.

#175 cooler, Nov 17, 2007
  16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Why was YZY sad when the Gold medal went to China?

Hi bananakid,

Is it because that (in this thread) it happened to be LYB, the coach of China, who was doing the match fixing that has caused you to think that many of us (as you put it, as "everyone else") are against China as a top Badminton nation ?

If your answer is 'YES', then I am sorry to say that you are wrong. :):):)

We do respect and do admire China as a top Badminton nation.

The "everyone else" are really not against China, but against the match fixing.

If any other nations are doing it, those nations will be not be condoned as well.

This thread started with LBY saying (in an article translated by Han), as quoted below;

And then read my post, as quoted below;

Why did you think (as translated by robin7) that YZY cried.

And then cooler posted;

Of course, BWF, IOC and the Danish team did not/could not say anything. Outsiders cannot interfere with the internal affairs of the Chinese team (or teams of any other nations).

The only thing we can say or ask is "Why was YZY so sad when the Gold medal went to China?"

Now we all know...

The World Champion was fired by her coach. :(:(:(

PS
    : Many members@BC, including myself, believe that YZY is the rightful owner of the Gold medal. We know that she could beat CM. LYB should not have denied her the opportunity.

Cheers... chris@ccc

17. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    You said the same thing as I said...but much clearer than me...very well said...yes my main point is match fixing not just CHN doing it.;)

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

well, we all see unfairness around us, it's part of life. Look at XXZ, WC in 2003 but fired in 2004 OG. This guy was fired 'before' he even step on the court. Neither LD, BCL nor Chen Hong reached the SF at 04 OG, don't u think XXZ was denied of a greater opportunity to win a gold than yzy? As i said before, let it go. There are tons of greater injustice out there that we should be more concern about.

19. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    By "everyone", I mean the players whom are not good enough to defeat team China before they have the opportunity to "fix" the match... after all, they are the main reason why LYB "always" has the chance to manipulate the outcome of matches... just imagine how it is possible for LYB to do any kind of match fixing if just one of the players on court doesn't belong to his team:rolleyes:

Everyone else gives him the opportunity... He decides to take advantage of that opportunity, and nobody can blame him. If anybody is so against it, why not be the next superstar(+ find a few others) and constantly beat LYB's students just so you can be the one doing something about it, and not just talk about it.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You are not introducing another burden to sports, are you? :cool:
    Politics' involvement is impossible to eradicate but Religion...once there will always be eternal and non-materialistic! :(