Can a stringing newbie easily install a WISE 2086 on a crank machine?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ant01, Feb 7, 2013.

1. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Hi guys,

I posted a question here a while back and I have finally decided to go with a crank machine upgraded with a WISE 2086. The only thing is that I'm wondering how easy it is to install the WISE myself. I've read that with cranks you don't need any additional work, and I've seen a youtube video of someone installing one by simply slotting the WISE on the rails of a crank machine...but is there anything else that I should know when installing it?

At the moment I have found two options, the first would require me to install the WISE myself but the second comes with it already installed:

1. Pro's Pro XP Plus with WISE 2096
    2. Electronic 3600
    Any opinions on machine selection are also welcome :)

Note: my previous thread

2. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    Hi. I bought the Electronic 3600 last week and had to put it together, it doesn't come pre-assembled however it does come with all the parts you need to put it together. The manual was very cryptic but I eventually got there.

All it is to attach the 3600 is 3 bolts at the back... that is it.

The WISE 2086 came in it's own box and had the adapter plate to install it on a crank machine.

To be fair it looks pretty simple now to put together.

Just to add I bought some additional things along with the machine to improve it:

Fixed Badminton clamps
    MBS Load Spreaders

Side Support - they are rated 10/10 so it's a must for me
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...Stringing-Machine-Parts?p=1884906#post1884906

#2 vienly, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    both options involve simple assembly. anyone with basic skills with allen/hex keys should be able to follow the procedure.

i think the decision is more down to whether you want a tabletop machine or a upright one.

4. expert-stringer

expert-stringer Regular Member

I have the XP Plus and Wise machine and it works a treat. You have the stand that comes with the XP Plus stringing machine and the Wise head just slides on to replace the crank mechanism.

Plus, you have the crank tensioning mechanism if the Wise breaks down (just in case - a backup).

5. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

How are the clamps on the XP Plus? I was thinking of getting some fly clamps but I'm not sure if I need them yet.

But at the moment I think I will go for the XP Plus with WISE since the stand is included.

Thanks a lot all :D

6. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Just a quick update - I received the machine yesterday and it was fairly straightforward to set up. I spent just under 2 hours stringing my first racquet this morning (lots of silly mistakes at first) :rolleyes:

For anyone else wondering about the Pro's Pro XP Plus I'd say it does the job ok but it definitely feels more tennis oriented. This is because of things like fiddling around with the side racquet clamp points (too loose) and difficulty using the fixed clamp on the top cross. You get what you pay for I guess!

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    congrats!

post pics!!

2 hours is around right for first time. it is not a difficult process but there are many unknowns when going through it the first time. there are tons of videos that we have made and it is nice to go through some of them to get a feel for the process.

8. beelebala

beelebala Regular Member

catering
    I have the Pro Pro plus and WISE 2086 setup for two and half years and strung just over 400 rackets from various manufacturers. It works fine with the frame supports, but the frame supports of the small edges for badmintion rackets are used; of course the racket is needed to be adjusted to prevent the supports blocking the grommets holes especially the shared ones. There are some alternative slim frame supports specially made for stringing badminton rackets. The Dual Clamp 5-prong from W&D are most important parts needed for the consistency. If you have the other Pro Pro plus for badminton ones (the ones with 3-prong), they are unreliable ones, they strip the strings and make kinks on the strings. MBS load spreaders are recommended but not necessary, small amount of rackets have closer grommets holes at the throat. Flying clamps are handy for some unusual rackets. Of course, your stringing skill will improve.
    The problem with the loose frame supports on the top of the rackets because the restriction of the arms cannot move inward any further, especially for the oval shaped old rackets. There are two ways to solve the problem: the first one, a yonex flying clamp is used because it has sharper prong; the second one, the first two rows is clamped at the second row (making one clamp for the first two rows). The frame supports are used to hold firmly but not too tight. Hope it helps.

9. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

I wanted to post pics but I was in a rush! Should get time this evening to upload a couple. I also watch a lot of your videos before I started stringing, they were very very useful :)

10. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

I agree, the Pro's Pro clamps aren't that good. I didn't know fixed clamps were so easily interchangeable before getting my machine, so I might get those 5 prong clamps too although I have just ordered 2 Yonex flying clamps. I also ordered the MBS load spreaders at the time that I ordered the machine, so I'm just waiting for them to arrive.

My brother and I have been having problems with the side frame supports not moving in far enough to support most racquets. I will have to play around with the positioning of the frame supports as you suggest, although I don't fully understand your first solution with the fly clamps :confused: Any chance that you could post a picture of what you mean?

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    very nice to hear that someone find them useful. :)

12. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

Stringing my first racquet which is also the very first racquet that I bought. Strung @22.5lbs but it feels tighter than my local shops 26lbs which is a crank.
    20130216_123847.jpg

You can see the modification to the racquet side clamp that we tried...although I'm not too comfortable with it since that racquet was distorted when it was taken out, he says it's from the string snapping (my bro's one)
    20130218_213426.jpg

My bro stringing @26.5lbs, although he's already snapped the string twice! Once because of a sharp grommet and another because of some clamp problem.
    20130218_213440.jpg

Lessons already learnt:
    • make sure the clamps are always tight enough (string and racquet)
    • make sure the clamp on the tensioner is tight enough (BG66UM kept slipping off at first)
    • make sure you always lock fixed clamps in place after tensioning the string
    • check grommets for damage before stringing
    • for the Wise tensioner you have to lock the string in place by pushing the plates towards the racquet (honestly had no idea about this at the start) and can press the small red button to tension
    • you can turn the Wise tensioner sound off by pressing lbs and down arrow, and I think to turn it on kg and up
    • expect to make many mistakes! :eek:

#12 ant01, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  13. beelebala

beelebala Regular Member

catering
  14. beelebala

beelebala Regular Member

catering
    21733_10151455800265813_252603220_n.jpg 21905_10151455816960813_63348300_n.jpg 48152_10151455817485813_1673147041_n.jpg 179658_10151455800080813_1614257368_n.jpg 488064_10151455817545813_33049634_n.jpg 525068_10151455799970813_766754756_n.jpg 525735_10151455800400813_2060234462_n.jpg 535441_10151455817655813_525038789_n.jpg 545645_10151455799995813_229796116_n.jpg

Attached Files:

#14 beelebala, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

You might want to take the limiter pin out of your WISE's right (viewed from the back) gripper plate; even with the screw wound all the way out, it slips with the thinner badminton strings.

16. beelebala

beelebala Regular Member

catering
    Do you think they have the confident to adjust the mechanical setting of the machine?

17. beelebala

beelebala Regular Member

catering
    They are not even sit the racket properly on the machine. They try to get best out of the machine quick but not in a controlled manner. I know "the failure is the mother of success".

18. beelebala

beelebala Regular Member

catering
    First thing first, the side frame supports are on the arms not hanging out of the arms. It is worth every penny to get that universal five-prong clamps after you've spent so much. It is easier to adjust and eliminate the chance of damaging string.
    A string mover is handy in making room for block grommet hole; pulling the string.
    At the meantime, there is a thread on how to adjust the clamp for various size of strings.
    Using flying clamps may save time at least on average of 22 locking and 22 unlocking the clamps.
    The racket shouldn't be distorted with same tension on both ways. But with 10% increment on horizontal string, there is certain distortion in controlled and balanced manner. Main vertical string should be strung alternative sides not complete one side then the other later.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    looks like a good start!

is that the closest you can get the WISE without hitting the turntable? get it as close as possible so you don't need such a big loop to reach the gripper.

20. beelebala

beelebala Regular Member

catering
    I think they are scare of hitting the gripper to the badminton handle. For some players, they have their badminton handles as big as the tennis rackets' ones.