Groups In The East

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by chrislyn, Jan 15, 2008.

1. -Silver-

-Silver- Regular Member

Engineer
    alrite, thanks alot! chrislyn, how abt getting ur fren join this group as well?

2. chrislyn

chrislyn Regular Member

yup... will try... hope it wun take too long to get pple... hope to get the group started asap :) if u've got any frenz who are keen on playing badminton, can try asking them to join us too...

3. -Silver-

-Silver- Regular Member

Engineer
    yeah, i will try to find some of my fren too

4. chrislyn

chrislyn Regular Member

okae... thanks!!!:)

5. mimimomo

mimimomo Regular Member

Hi chrislyn,

mayb u can head our grp :D? since its been quite sometime since some1 mentioned badminton in eastern areas. anyway i m fine with friday nights or weekend morning or early aftnoons, but jus let me know if there are any other timings ;)

6. chrislyn

chrislyn Regular Member

thanks for yr reply! from the way things look... may be able to start up a Sat 12-2pm group playing weekly in the east soon if i can get a couple more pple...

7. chrislyn

chrislyn Regular Member

Hi just an update on how things are getting along with forming a group that plays weekly in the east... need a couple more pple before the group can get going... intending to form a group on weekday evenings and another on Saturday early afternoon... sorry that it's taking this long... thanks for your patience!!

weekend Sat: chrislyn, -Silver-, mimimomo, newjazz, mengmengmeng(pending reply)
    weekday evenings: chrislyn, kestrel, mimimomo (fri only), mengmengmeng (all except wed)

as for the standard of the group... i'm not too sure about the others here, but mine is low intermediate i think... anyone who doesnt mind that and is able to commit on a weekly basis is most welcomed to join us :) do indicate yr preference for day/time... thanks!!

#27 chrislyn, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  8. joon_v

joon_v Regular Member

engineer
    join

Hi,

I would like to Join too.
    Bedok Community center is a good choice but
    need to bring our own net. also only two courts are available.
    I can play on tueday 7-11 pm

9. -Silver-

-Silver- Regular Member

Engineer
    glad to hear the group going to start soon.

10. chrislyn

chrislyn Regular Member

hi! thanks for responding! will take note of yr preferred timings and keep u updated asap :)

11. mimimomo

mimimomo Regular Member

hello every1,

jus wondering is the SBH at Gullimard road still opened? or under reno already?

12. chrislyn

chrislyn Regular Member

able to get a group going now

Hi everyone :)

i've finally got enough pple to start a regular weekday group in the east... it'll be on Fridays 8-10pm (or 7-9pm if preferred by the majority) if everyone's ok with that... as for courts, will try to get bedok, tampines or any other courts in the east that's ok/available... playing standards vary; if you're unsure if you'll be comfortable with that, i guess you can try out to see if you're comfortable first before committing... no worries... just let me know in advance so that i'll have an idea of how many will be staying and how many will be trying out first...

can the following pple private message me asap to let me know if the date/time is ok and if they're still interested in joining the group? if everything's ok, i'll proceed to book the courts... thanks!!
    1. mengmengmeng
    2. kestrel
    3. mimimomo
    4. xinguy
    5. newjazz
    6. enervac
    7. JackOne
    8. joon_v
    9. Iwan (thanks for helping out...)

#32 chrislyn, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  13. kestrel

kestrel New Member

Hey, thanks for making the effort!

Your PM is full...cant send my contact to you. Anyway, Fri is good for me. Will prefer 7-9pm tho.

14. -Silver-

-Silver- Regular Member

Engineer
    woo, friday i can too! lol, but im only a high beginner and i can see from the list that there is alot of pros playing. scare i spoil the game.

15. mimimomo

mimimomo Regular Member

haizz sadly this week friday, which is tml may come a bit too soon for me :( mayb some other sessions this weekend or in future. anyway silver my standard oso ard high beginner, so worries u have a competitor for that worst player of the group award :D

chrislyn think ur PM is full, cant send u my details. so i guess u have to update us easterners using this thread already. Cheers!

#35 mimimomo, Jan 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  16. chrislyn

chrislyn Regular Member

Replies To Everyone

Hi everyone!

So sorry that my inbox was full... thanks for all your prompt replies, really appreciate it! here's the latest update... we can get our group running now! enough pple :D We have an even mix between better players n beginner level ones. We'll have to book 2 courts every fri.

Here are my replies to everyone... sorry can't use pm as there isn't enough space in my inbox...
    mengmengmeng: my standard's quite bad, just discovered after playing with several other groups that i'm actually beginner, not even low intermediate... embarrassing... so don't worry okae? from what i hear, mimimomo & -Silver- have similar concerns, so you won't be alone, ya?
    newjazz: sure, will keep you informed... have fun there! thanks...
    Xinguy: okae... tampines will be under renovation so we should be going for Bedok SH, or Chai Chee CC & East Coast Town Council (suggested by Lauti) or anywhere else our group members may suggest. Timing wise, going by majority vote, should be 8-10pm.
    JackOne: i think we have people of various ages, no age/standard restrictions. To join, do pass me your name & contact number, & indicate if you're gonna be a regular. Will post courts & dates on this thread weekly as soon as i've booked them. Welcome suggestions on the group's preferred form of notification.
    Lauti: thanks for yr suggestions on courts in the east, really appreciate it! will keep you informed as & when we get courts in the Bedok area. What about any other areas in the east, like those you suggested? would you like to be notified as well, or is it strictly the Bedok area?
    kestrel: you're most welcomed! so sorry about the timing, thot of 7-9pm too so that we won't end too late, but it'll be quite tight for those who aren't able to get off work by then; 8-10pm provides some slack for travelling. Will check again on preferences in this area. thanks!
    -Silver-: we've got quite an equal mix of better & beginner players. you've got mengmengmeng, mimimomo & myself; I won't be surprised that i'll be the one spoiling your game! haha... don't worry okae? everyone gets to try out during the first week to see if they're comfortable enough to stay on. i'll figure out how many courts to book in future based on the feedback/confirmations after our first week or so.
    mimimomo: hahaa... somehow i still have much confidence that i'll be walking away with the "worst player of the group award"! you'll probably agree after seeing how i play; quite embarrassing that as the organiser, i'm the worst player in the group! oh well... we'll learn/progress together, okae? No court this fri (25/8), will most likely start after chinese new year.

Thanks again everyone! :)

17. chrislyn

chrislyn Regular Member

Hi again :p

General Information (summary)
    - play in the east every Friday
    - time 8-10pm (tentatively, pending results of vote)
    - will book 2 courts
    - about 10 members (as on 25 Jan 2008)
    - no restriction on age/standard
    - first session on Fri, 15 Feb 2008
    - notices/schedules/updates will be posted here

Some info/feedback required
    Please copy this, fill in all fields & email to chrislyn82@gmail.com Thanks!!

Badminton Central username:
    Name:
    Mobile number:
    Age: (u can write 20+, 30+ etc. if u don't wish to disclose yr exact age)
    Standard*: beginner / intermediate / advanced
    Membership type: regular / on-off / just trying out first
    Preferred timing: 7-9pm / 8-10pm
    Preferred badminton halls in the east (if any):
    Will you be joining us on Fri, 15 February 2008: yes / no

*This info will help with grouping of players. There's an online Badminton Skill Rating tool available for you to gauge your standard if you'd like:
    http://www.badminton-network.com/badminton_skill_rating.php
    Scoring system: <4 = Beginner, 4-7 = Intermediate, >7 = Advanced
    (thanks Netasia for this info!)

Yup, that's all for now... thanks! Have a great weekend! :)

18. terror

terror Regular Member

hi chrislyn

sent u a pm

anyway im still a little injured so cant run about for a few weeks yet but hope to hit a few shuttles in the meantime if u guys dont mind. or i could sit aside and watch a few games if thats more convenient. just need to get the feel of the game back into the veins

before the injury i would consider myself low intermediate with a definite glaring weakness in all backhand shots. played more singles than doubles but am comfortable with both

thanks and would love to hear any and all replies

hope to be able to meet for some games soon;)

edit: seems that u guys mentioned some trouble getting courts. there is a community centre within walking distance(>10min) from tanah merah mrt station, Siglap CC, which has polished parquet flooring. the nets they provide are quite bad, better if you had your own. otherwise it isnt bad. downside is that it has only 2 courts BUT booking are by half past the hours. that is to say u can book 730pm to 930pm so that the slack for travelling is accounted for, yet u can still end slightly earlier.

hope this helps

#38 terror, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  19. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

I think there should be no problems getting the courts at Tampiness or Bedok SH. I'll help her out on the first run to make sure we get the courts.

20. chrislyn

chrislyn Regular Member

thanks for your message! so sorry for the late reply, i have sent you an email to address those questions... feel free to join us! trying to get courts at bedok sports hall (primarily) and yup maybe siglap CC as you suggested... thanks for the suggestion! by the way, our first game will start on 15 february, after chinese new year... will notify everyone again nearer the time about the courts :)