Which type of shuttlecock for practice?

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Stalker, Aug 13, 2002.

?

Which type of shuttlecock for practice?

1. Plastic

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Feather

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  1. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    feather definitely, plastic is a piece of sh** that bounces like hell with a VERY light tap

2. ester2009

ester2009 Regular Member

Nylon shuttlecock is suitable for club practice or beginner, and feather shuttlecock professional trainning. Here I recommand GOGO SY03(nylon) and BS01(feather) which are loved for durability and reasonale price. You may find them at some sporting websites such as Atafa.com, or visit Google Shopping directly to search for more info.

3. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    Can anyone please recommend some good but not too expensive feather shuttles for practice in Hong Kong?

~thanks!

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Yes, you can pm me.

5. kingskawn

kingskawn Regular Member

we use plastic for the 2 lowest grades in national competition. All grades above must use feathers.

6. Gojin Kai

Gojin Kai Regular Member

None
    I definately prefer plastic. I got 3 tubes of shuttles for Christmas, (holy crap, I know) 2 plastic, 1 feather. I asked my friend to come have a few games, and I decided I'd take the feathers ones. It was destroyed within half an hour. This is why I hate 'em. They break SO easily, too easily infact, so I just stick to plastics. They never break.

7. kingskawn

kingskawn Regular Member

Ok plastic is more resistant than feathers but the flight is different. I like feathers but I still cannot play official matches because of my grade.
    But that will change this year :cool:

Feather and plastic is like cars, I'll take a Ferrari above a Mazda 323 because it's a real car with a real engine :p but the Mazda will live longer

8. AurorAX

AurorAX Regular Member

Biotech Sales / Marketing
    Pretty sure a Mazda is a real car with a real engine too ^_^

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

LOL since when was a mazda not a real car. I wasn't aware that you could get fake mazdas:p

10. kingskawn

kingskawn Regular Member

Sorry I ment Tata, not Mazda :D

11. Ryder Blade

Ryder Blade Regular Member

Student
    Plastic.

My high school only lets us use plastic shuttlecocks for practice, first time I saw a feathered one was last year when some of the Varsity members were doing drills.

12. joeyf

joeyf Regular Member

Singles/Doubles Player
    Mainly feathers, only use plastics if we have to. Any feathers do for me :)

13. smax5001

smax5001 Regular Member

Student
    feathers are in very high demand but what I don't get it why aren't there cheaper durable feather birdies????? Is yonex still monopolizing the general public to buy their 20$ one tube stack that only holds 12 birds??????????????????????????????????
    Seriously, there should be a company already that can compete that price at a much lower rate. Then they'll be the favorite easily and affordable to just about everybody even kids.

14. pcyong

pcyong Regular Member

Professional
    I m surprised ppl still use plastic nowadays.

By looking at the poll we have 407 users using plastic.

Wonder how is it feel compare with feather in terms of its flight and feel

15. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Horrible.......:)

16. pcyong

pcyong Regular Member

Professional
    haha..:) noted !

17. winex

winex Regular Member

Business Owner
    depends who you're practicing with. serious players definitely would opt for feathers, birdie actually last longer with good players. provided that is the branded feathered birdie.

18. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Use both plastics and feathers.
    Prefer feathers becasue you can feel when you have hit, the noise, the weight, the glide but personally dont have much problem changing over so far.
    Certainly notice the difference when messing around playing tight net shots to each other the plastic starts behaving erratically!

tried googling but got conflicting answers. Which travels further feathers or plastics or are they the same?

And how good are these mavis 2000 plastics?

I supose for us western badminton players it will be a great day when faethers will be able to copied synthetically. they'll be lot of club badminton players with more money in their pockets.

Being cynical as I am it makes you wonder if this already isn't possible and patent has been bought and shelved to protect profits.

19. kennee

kennee Regular Member

Pro Badminton Daydreamer
    IMHO, Malaysians are a blessed lot. Reasonably priced rackets to choose from. Massive and dedicated badminton halls everywhere (20 - 30++ teraflex rubber carpets per hall are the norm). And a long history with badminton as one of the most popular sports in the country. Good feather shuttlecocks costs from RM50-65 (US$15-20) per dozen.

Factor all of the above in, and since most of us baddie players pick the sport from the seniors (read: learned ones), i can safely say almost all of us started and stuck with feathers from day 1.

From the earliest of my memories, i can recall that there were no shortage of used feather shuttlecocks in my home. My dad was (and still is) an avid player back in the days, and he would collect used ones for my friends and me to practice. The only time i used the plastic shuttlecocks where when my friend brought some over to play outdoors over the house gates.

You can't practice slicing and deceptive shots with plastics. So it depends one the objectives of your practice.

20. jairbak

jairbak Regular Member

We use plastic shuttles to train, we use the mavis 370 (clostest to the feather shuttles) because feather shuttles would be to expensive because we don't have enough members but I use feathers quite alot with a couple of guys we order feather shuttles.
    ith plastics you don't have alot of long rally's and feathers forces you to hit control shots like net drops good clears etc.

But from my experience what I gained alot from playing with plastiic shuttles for a long time is speed, because it goes faster than the feather shuttles so you need to get to the shuttle faster. I guess for training your walking techique* plastics are good but for control and drops feather is better.

* with walking techique i mean how you move on the court :p I know bad english.