Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Too many clowns on the ground. Might as well cut some heads and save some tax payers money? ;) What is the CTC KPI??

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    How unprofessional can a National Association get?

In today's world your website becomes one of your primary weapons, and means to communicate with the world, to and influence them and to promote your message. Do the bigwigs at BAM actually need telling?????

9.21pm here in Toronto, May 25. Almost exactly 2 full days after my last post on this subject. Guess what? Nothing's changed. :D:eek:

http://www.bam.org.my/

I don't know about any of you guys, but this just tells me about the depth of the problem in the organisation, the lack of communication inside, and the lack of accountability and responsibility.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    BAM won't be listening to us, BCers

I think that we BCers need to understand that BAM is functioning for Malaysia's 'National interest's sake, and not for our BCers' sake.

Therefore, BAM won't be listening to us, BCers. :eek::eek::eek:

#23 chris-ccc, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
  4. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

I'd be happy to donate some of my own money to host BAM's website. :) But before I part with my money, let's talk about some KPIs ... :D

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    The way I understand it, BAM is funded at least partially (and indirectly) by the taxpayer's money. So if you are an honest, hardworking citizen of Malaysia, you may already have contributed to the website costs of BAM. :D

which brings us to the issue of transparency and accountability in public offices... usually identifiable by the lack of these attributes thereof... :D

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

BAM is only concerned about their objectives/goals

Let us be honest: BAM was set up for the Badminton activities in Malaysia (for their national players within their structure).

BAM is only concerned about their objectives/goals.

Now that some MAS players are wishing to play Badminton independently, BAM is not interested in them. :(:(:(

#26 chris-ccc, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
  7. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

Maybe it's time to set up the Professional Malaysian Badminton Players Association to safeguard their interests.

8. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
  9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Defeat raises more worries

From an article in NST:

I find that last sentence especially interesting! :eek: What gave the reporter the impression that such an important team event like the SC is not a priority for Malaysia?

Full story: http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/55ludir/Mobile/article_html

10. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

LCW has repeatedly announcing his retirement after OG 2012, and BAM will be in turmoil...

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    my friend,bam need to pay millions for their coach per year,not include the management.
    while what i know is their sponsorship per year is about rm 5 million
    i think they just dont have money to pay for their website
    no worry
    they might just announce bankrupt in one or 2 years
    lol

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    About a month ago, the Sports Minister had declared,
    "If Misbun chose not to accept the offer, I need to know the details and need it soon. ...
    ...I was made to understand that Misbun's task will be to produce many more Lee Chong Wei's for the future and I feel it is a fair request."

Presumably he was given the details. There has been a strange silence from him and BAM ever since on this subject.

I am bringing this up because it appears there is a big lack of accountability at BAM. We were used to all the bigwigs making statements and predictions and outlining ideas and action plans and programmes with great regularity. Maybe even warning non-performers with consequences... And all of a sudden, we have this silence. No regular press releases or updates; no announcements; no chatty sound bites; only Rashid making a few lame remarks to the press at a tournament. For an association whose bigwigs have been so vocal for so long, this is all a bit strange. And it would appear the minister has kinda lost interest in BAM...

And of course, no website! At all!

13. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

14. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
  15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I would think, it is the duty and responsibility of a national association that "represents the national interest" to ensure the country gets its best representation at all times. This means reaching out to independent players as well. This means reaching into all the villages and towns and unearthing the best talent. This means establishing and managing and monitoring the best network of local coaches, trainers, administrators, talent scouts, promoters and facilitators with the objective of encouraging, supporting and nurturing the best talent in the country.

Besides, National players are not born overnight. They are created. For every "National player" there are probably dozens, possibly hundreds who sweated blood, gave up further education, but never made it. It is the duty and responsibility of a national association to ensure that the one "national player" they have selected justifies all the blood that the others sweated, by delivering on performance.

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Players going Professional

Don't get me wrong. Most National Badminton Associations are still doing like what you have said; "establishing and managing and monitoring the best network of local coaches, trainers, administrators, talent scouts, promoters and facilitators with the objective of encouraging, supporting and nurturing the best talent in the country".

It is Professional Badminton Players going independently who have asked; "Why is Badminton so different from other sports when we wish to play independently?"

So sad that many National Associations are having so much control over their players.

I started a thread; http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/93949-Professional-Players-going-Professional

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    are bam doing those thing u all mentioned?
    they are killing badminton if not murdering
    lol

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Most national associations have the same objectives, more or less. The question to be asked is: do they achieve these stated objectives, and do they do this consistently? That is the mark of a successful association.

How do you measure the achievement of the objectives? Simple. By the results and the legacy. And in this case, what would the results and legacy be, according to you?

I do agree that professional players going independent should not be given unfair treatment. The best way is obviously for either BWF to register them directly, or have something like an international players association. My point in this regard was simply that the BAM attitude to the independents is probably counter-productive and nails the lie of "national interest."

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    So, what is the selection process for juniors etc etc in the national squad? Can anyone here lead us through the process that BAM follows to select talent?

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i think the problem of how they handle talent is way bigger than how the select talent
    anyway
    i give up on bam already
    so i wont waste my time here
    sorry
    maybe there is someone who can answer
    just let those ctc member or rashid keep fooling around
    i can foresee hendrawan,rexy leaving