Zymax strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Lobeh, Jul 24, 2009.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    My current Zymax strings of about 150pcs are of 4 colors. Only the red has Ashaway USA, the other 3 colors show Ashaway USA Zymax 62 or Ashaway USA Zymax 67.
    Ashaway has responded to my first inquiry by saying all the 4 colors are of the same design and process and expressed surprise at my findings. However, I have subsequently queried them on whether they have ever changed their Zymax design, core structure, jacket type and any changes in pigmentation. I have yet to hear from them on this followup.
    If they respond saying that there has been no change ever made, then we know something is wrong, because we all know (even stringers know) the reds are an entirely different string.

2. Alapongtai

Alapongtai Regular Member

lemme know how that goes, im gonna try to swap them as well. I bought 15 sets lol

3. kevindd992002

kevindd992002 Regular Member

Engineer
    So if I buy a ZM70 now, what color would you recommend the best?

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

For the time being I still do not have enough information to advise you on this.
    The reason is that I still have something to check and verify with Ashaway, as you can seen from the progress to date below.

1. I first queried Ashaway on why their reds are significantly poorer than the other 3 colors to the extent that I told them the reds should be reclassified as a lower grade string with lower playability but increased durability.

2. In response Ashaway expressed surprise on my findings saying there is no difference in design and process for the 4 colors. I consider this as too general to make any sense.

3. However, my initial gut feel was that although Ashaway could technically be correct in this if all the 4 colors were of the same design, core, jacket, and pigment systems. In other words if the current production of the 4 colors are of the new generation (maybe with the new marking Ashaway USA on the string), then Ashaway would be correct. But that also means all their new design strings will now be significantly poorer compared with the old design. This should get a more specific answer. If this is true, I will say goodbye to Ashaway Zymax strings.

4. Because of 3 above, I again questioned Ashaway if they have ever changed the design, core, jacket and pigment systems of the Zymax strings at any time. I am still waiting for their reply.

5. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    is the ZM70 also affected?

6. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

All my red ones say Ashaway USA Zymax 65 on them and as far as I know 65 only came in 2nd gen. Hopefully it's not a counterfeit string thou, the 65 plays great. I'm pretty sure you can buy direct from Ashaway, at least I was able to.

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Just like tannepak says, above, the person I spoke to at Ashaway was very surprised about the difference and insisted there should be no difference.

I have a racket with red z65 I need to test, but to compare I will need to cut the nbg99 on my other racket.

8. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I'll string up two racquets over the weekend with Z65 (white and red, both TI-10's) and I'll see if it feels/sounds any different on Monday.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I suspect Ashaway is referring to the different colors of the same generation strings, i.e. those strings wimarked "Ashaway USA". In that case they are correct in saying there should be no difference.
    Ask them again if they have ever changed the design, core, jacket, and pigment system. Also ask them to explain if there is any difference between the older string markings "Ashaway USA Zymax 67" and the new string's "Ashaway USA", and see if you get a response.

10. zombie0517

zombie0517 Regular Member

I doubt the red Zymax was made using a different process. Maybe pigmentation can have some minor influences on the performance of string but change of coating/pigmentation alone cannot transform one string entirely into another IMO.

I may not have played with red zymax strings recently but I do remember the core filaments of the string was white, with only the coating being red. If I am correct, the durability and tension holding capabilities are determined by the string core, the outer coating determines the feel.

So sir, unless there are some hard evidence presented I would not agree with your statement saying Red Zymax play "like" BG65. BG65 is soft and lose tension easily. I can't believe such characteristics would be reflected on Zymax strings.

As a stringer I have observed that Zymax strings (I had experience with white color so far) stretch much less than nylon strings during pulling. Too bad I do not have any red Zymax at hand.

For your last statement, maybe more fellow stringers (Mark A, kwun, yan.v) could help to verify it?

#1010 zombie0517, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

sorry for ignoring other parts of your post, but this cannot be accurate since none of my strings have merely 'Ashaway USA' on, including the red ones which must be gen. 2.

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Ashaway has just confirmed that all optic yellow, red, and white are now using a new stronger core construction and a brighter color pigment system. Only platinum, which will still maintain the original core/color pigment system, and I presume will be available in Asia only, will continue to be available. Perhaps that is why the US Ashaway website has no platinum color available.
    For N. American players used to both plastic and feather shuttlecocks the new Zymax strings may be more acceptable.

13. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Did they ever said anything again regardng the inferior quality of the RED ones?

14. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    emm...only in Asia?

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The word "inferior" can have different meaning, depending on what you consider to be the most important in a string.
    Ashaway did say the ZM62/67 were upgraded at the time when the new ZM65 was introduced in 2011. The "upgrade" specifically referred to the new design's greater strength (which I take to mean greater durability) to allow a wider range of playing styles.
    Ashaway also says that the original ZM strings, only in platinum, using the original materials and original pigmenting system will be available from the Asian distributor based in Singapore on a continuing basis.
    Almost all the players here like the platinum for its very high playability, immeasurably better than the other colors. However, the ZM62 platinum can be a curse for players who mishit because it is guaranteed to snap instantly. For players who hit the sweet spot all the time then ZM62 platinum can be quite durable.
    A better compromise will be the ZM67 platinum for greater strength (note higher durability) but it is not in the same class in playability as the platinum ZM62.

16. kevindd992002

Engineer
    So if I understand correctly, the 1st gen platinum is still better than the 2nd gen white/yellow?

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I have the 2nd gen. red ZM62 and ZM67 but none of the 2nd generation ivory white or the optic yellow.
    The original platinum is the best and beats the original yellow or white. It is even better than the new reds.
    But if you are not in Asia perhaps you may the 2nd gen. just as good plus better durability. But, that is not for me.

18. kevindd992002

Engineer
    Hmmm, now we need a comparison between the 1st gen platinum and 2nd gen ivory white or optic yellow. I'm using the red ZM70 right now but don't have anything to compare too and I'm just an average player in terms of skills :) What do you mean by "playability" per se?

19. Sterndi

Sterndi Regular Member

Student
    What is actually the biggest difference of the zymax 65 and 67 except the thickness??:D
    Because I want to order some reel of mbs - I already played the 67 and was very satisfied but I think the 65 will give much more repulsion or am I wrong?

20. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    get 1 pack and make experiment with it. if you satisfied then order a reel