2016 Rio Summer Olympics - Singles Maximum Lowered from 3 to 2.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CantSmashThis, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have to disagree. We are three years from Rio. If this rule was put in place just at the start of the Olympic qualification period or later, I would entirely agree with you. But everybody is given 3 years in advance notice and two years before the start of the olympic qualification. If you state the rules should not have been changed from the start, then badminton (which never used to be an Olympic sport) should not be in the Olympics.

Those who train "all their life" for the Olympics - well, they could be injured as well. We all know the life of an athlete is subject to unexpected circumstances. 3 years notice can hardly be considered as unexpected.

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

with the clean-sweep of the London OLY, the new rule is tailored made to stop the embarrassment of this;

images.jpg

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think I will be repeating myself but I'd rather see more athletes being able to qualify which means increased numbers in the entry as the preferred solution. iirc, the 1992 Olympics qualification cutoff had many more athletes but the quota of athletes got reduced (with less than 3 years notice). Not sure why.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Nope, the disadvantage applies to all badminton NOCs.

But I really wonder how it will affect the walkovers situation in the qualifying period - very intriguing.

5. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

right, may be you should get out of the cuckooland once for awhile.

6. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

name me any country except China is likely to achieve that (1-2-3) in any of 5 discrepancies in 2016 without the max of 2 restriction.

#86 AlanY, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  7. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Don't think I can think of any :eek:

8. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    As you say 'You yourself have given the answer to why BWF wanted to do good for badminton', so you agree this BWF move is to control CHN domination of this sport. If CHN or any country in any sport can sweep the medals, power to CHN or that country to be able to do that.
    Only thingie I agree with you is the 2-player limit will resolve walk-over or match-fixing.
    As you say ' You might have willingly concealed the truth behind your back of what happened in London', you must be sleeping and not read my previous posts. I am one of the most vocal forumers against match-fixing and walk-overs.
    As for 'No wonder you support your country', dude, I am not from CHN, never been there. I am an ex-malaysian, still all my siblings, mom and my wife's bro-sis are still there. However, I will be making my first trip to CHN this year or next on the way home to MAS.
    If you are playing for IND and you are the 3rd player affected by this rule, I bet you will not be so supportive of this rule, you will be swearing and crying in Hindi...why...why...why...why me, I train my butt for this and got screwed royally:crying:

9. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    The first part I see your point but still, with this rule set for RIO qualification, this affect the current batch of players and I don't think that is fair. For e.g. WSX would again be out, this time not for being the 4th best player but KO by this rule.
    On 'everybody is given 3 years in advance', that 'everybody' is CHN, which other country would by affected? MAS's TSB doing cart-wheel in support of this rule.
    If this rule for RIO is announced at the qualification stage of London OLY, that IMO is fair. But after London OLY with CHN sweeping so many medals, it does smell.
    As for 'those who train all their life for OLY could get injured', I agree anyone can get injured, even LCW almost could not make it, but really, the possibility of CHN MS/WS team KO by injury is remote.

10. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

Some seem to think that this rule change would increase viewership and awareness of badminton, and I assume that you'd agree that this would hold for all sports?

Ask yourself, when was the last time you watched a sport that you don't play or follow on a regular basis purely because your country is represented? Let me extend that further by saying that you're vaguely aware that your nation's team isn't exactly what one would call world class, up against a clearly superior team that is going to wipe the floor with them. This is what the non-badminton crowd is going to be asking themselves.

Conversely, would you not be more willing to watch a sport where the best compete against each other? Would you rather watch the 100m final with the likes of Usain Bolt, Tyson Gay, and Yohan Blake or a heat with an athlete from your country that you've never heard of? I daresay that for the majority of the people watching the Olympics, an impressive performance holds more weight than representation by someone who lost in the first round. (And before someone brings up the performance of Kevin Cordon as a counterexample, yes he played well and fully deserved the win. But it was one out of hundreds of matches. Statistically speaking, I don't believe it is worth denying a WR3/4 a place for that 0.01 chance.)

And when it comes to the badminton fans, you may say that you wouldn't watch a all-(Country) match. Youtube numbers don't agree with that. Check out the views on LD vs CL's QF in the last WC, for example. It is significantly higher than all the other QFs and more than half the SFs. What would increase views you ask? I'd say let the best compete.

11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

you do realise that the max of 2 pairs in doubles was after this;

Untitled.jpg

and when the singles were getting closer and closer;

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

bwf wouldn't afford to risk it.

12. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Regardless of whether this rule is intended to control CHN domination or intended to be fair play to promote OLY ideals or what-nots, this rule will resolve WO should there be 3 CHN players in SF and no sweep by CHN. WO and match-fixing in SS and OLY12 are despicable, it is a slap to the fans and those who pay good money to watch live. But if a country can sweep the medals in any sport, power to that country for doing a great job. Why introduce rule to control that country as the ROW simply is not good enough and cannot compete?

13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Ha ha.. Here Nobody cried in "hindi" as you mentioned. Sorry to say this.. I can write hindi but can't speak..:crying: You are only the one who is keep on crying in this thread , may be in "malay/mandarin(whatever you call ;))" about something what you said in your post ".why...why...why...why me, I train my butt for this and got screwed royally:crying:". Just redirecting :D.. I liked the "if" in your sentence..:)

As you said, 2 players are enough for a country to prove it.. More than 2 players will automatically attract many malpractices from certain countries in order to pave way for their support.

#93 scorpion1, Feb 27, 2014
  14. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

all the talks about bwf to promote badminton to a wider audience are just rubbish.

they have limited the doubles to 16 pairs only, how elite is that? and that included the free spaces reserved for the host, confederation representatives etc.

15. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Concur. The best should play, period.
    I was watching TT in one WC, there will 7 WS from CHN and only Feng from Singapore in the QF. In the SF, it was all CHN. There is no way I can predict who will win in the SF or the final, the gap between these CHN girls is too close to call. All these games end in 6 or 7 sets. That is the excitement for TT fans and I am one of the diehards, watching every single match and following ITTF.
    BWF is helpless to resolve match-fixing and WO, it is not in the regulations and how the heck to prove that? LYB with an arsenal of players have been playing this card for so long, and it does not help that he famously admitted that to the media. This 2-person limit rule, if it is intended to solve match fixing and WO, and control CHN domination, well that will fix it for OLY.
    In WC05, Sigit/Chandra were playing the African players in R1 (I wonder if any forumers watched this match live). The Africans were scared like seeing ghost serving to Sigit. Sigit IMO must have the highest reflex action among players. The service crossed the net and whack! Sigit smashed the bird right into the chap's head. We laughed so hard and got our money's worth. So, if this rule opens up participation from weak nations, one bright side to this rule, is we get to see comedy in action or yawn falling asleep.
    But to say this rule is to promote baddy to a wider audience, I totally agree with you 'it is simply rubbish'. We can just check U-Tube and note the viewers' count on matches between top ranked players even from the same country and games featuring mismatched players.

16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one

Do you really think that only Africa is there in the world?? I came to know about Niluka karunaratne of srilanka only when he played brilliantly in London olympics 2012.

Except power houses like China, Malaysia, Korea, Japan etc, how many countries are having good players in all the 5 disciplines ?? .

Kashyap was the first male player from india to reach quarters in olympics. After that, a series of Men's singles players emerged in india. Saina was the first player to get a medal in olympics. Similarly Russian pair won bronze i think. After that, we are able to see so many good players from Russia. Even before olympics, Vladimir Ivanov was there. How many of us know him??. Now, he is playing very well. we can add so many examples.

Definitely, it will improve badminton all over the world. Kudos to BWF !!! They have given us some of incredible rules by which we can control chinese players from deliberately losing and giving walkovers which are much more laughable and disgusting to this sport than what you have mentioned in your post (the incident about an african player. Here, atleast he was able to represent his country and trying his level best to play without deliberate losing ).

17. mindreader

mindreader Regular Member

First, to start, I'm not necessarily against the idea of a quota system. If everyone is allowed to participate then the event become unwieldy, if not outright impossible.

But your spin is that this is a quota issue. It's not. It is a clearly and obvious attempt to target a certain nation (China being the current case). Or to use the cliche, "targeting success." If it's only a quota issue, why was 3 in top 8 acceptable 10 years ago but not now? Why was 3 in top 4 acceptable but not now? Seems like a better way to increase participation is by increasing the size of the tournament marginally, which allows most of the best to be there as well.

So let's at least go with a little honesty and call a spade a spade instead of "quota" issue.

So did exposure increase in Canada? Where was the measurable result that showed increased exposure. You still can't find badminton reported even on sports sites, let alone broadcasted. Believe it or not, I can't argue with a stat that doesn't exist.

The CURRENT qualifications standards would be subject to the exact same rule. As in, also depending on injuries and ranking. You didn't answer my question. How many players outside of those already strong countries would benefit from this rule? At the margins at best.

Are you kidding me? You just compared 20 year old Lin Dan out of juniors playing a comparable level of player against a four time WC 2 time defending Olympic Champion playing a nobody who shouldn't be there. No, he's not assured of a win, but 999 times out of 1000 he will. And it will be a thrashing. So your argument for allowing said nobody to be there is to play at the margin just for the purely mathematical chance (however slim) that he MAY beat Lin Dan?

There were YEARS if not DECADES of data that backed the claim that limiting smoking reduces health risks. Was there similar stats that show limiting the best players increases the popularity of badminton? As I mentioned, I can't argue with stats that don't exist.

So the current regime already handles your participation concerns but you want to change it regardless?

Considering the Dominica Ski Association didn't even exist before the couples paid an, ahem, bribe, I guess the broken face and mystery illness is payback.

18. mindreader

mindreader Regular Member

Considering the IOC only recently reinstated the Indian Olympic Committee, I wouldn't exactly get on my high horse about honesty and fair play.

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Which one of these players do you think should not have played in the London Olympics 2012? WYH, WX or LXR?

20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    This is one of the blunt and stupid comparison i have ever seen.. Lol. IOC did not accept the political involvement in the selection committee. This is totally irrelevant and unmatchable comparison to the "fair" play which i mentioned. Something which you totally concealed for your sake.. Even without IOC , indian players can play badminton. But what about the disqualification of chinese players for their ....?? . Full soverignty of the sport is in question !!!! Great comparison dude. ...:D

#100 scorpion1, Feb 27, 2014