Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. KillerQT

KillerQT Regular Member

I'm impressed with LCW's performance in AE2012 Finals against LD

He's injured and never smash hard... he played more with control shots but still end the first game 19-21. He's really good that he can survive without smashing hard.

2. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

I think that was what the Premier Super Series was designed to do, i.e. to be the Grand Slam in badminton. Over time these will gain more prestige. Likewise it would be hard for me to name the winners for tennis in the Olympics since most people only remember Grand Slam winners at the Wimbledon or French Open, etc. At some point in the future discussion of what is "major" and what is not will become a moot point. Lendl never won Wimbledon, for instance, but he is still considered one of the all time greats with numerous wins at the French, Australian, and US Opens. At the end of the day history will speak for itself and I think anyone of the Big Four can be called great in every sense of the word in the Open era of badminton.

3. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Indeed LCW should revert to his old tried and true tactics of masterful technical supremacy in deft touches, slices, drops and outmanuveuring style of play that gave LD so much trouble back in the days where he was much more evenly on par with LD.

It's all good that he can use his speed and power to overwhelm lesser opponents, but it just showed what a bit of guile, calmness and strategy can do to LD during the AE finals.

Just look back at those tournaments pre 2008 where he gave LD so much trouble such as AE06 the HKopen etc.... his technical ability allowed him to exert far less energy and stress on his body than he's doing today which is severely wearing him out.

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    what is meant by Open Era in badminton? when did it begin?

#7644 pcll99, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  5. Nathaniel_Near

Nathaniel_Near Regular Member

But this doesn't work. They are clearly an elite series of tournaments that are setup but obviously pale in significance and comparison to WC, OG and probably even AE as an individual event due to prestige and history. They don't come across at all as 'Grand Slam' equivalents. Badminton already has its own format of most important badminton events which count as very major championships, such as I have already mentioned - OG, WC, maybe AE, maybe Asian Games.

As for Lendl, of course he's considered an all time great even though he never won Wimbledon, as he won 8 Slams and reached 11 other finals as well as winning Year-end Championship renditions 7 times. In tennis, the Slams win and in badminton the aforementioned win.

This would give Lin Dan 10 - 11 elite major MS victories and LCW 2 (2 AE).

Badminton recently has a year-end championship which is potentially a supremely elite tournament due to the selectivity and quality of the entrants, but it seems to not have quite lifted off yet.

I agree that all 4 can be considered greats in the Open Era. LCW being world no.1 for 4 years is a MASSIVE achievement.

6. KillerQT

KillerQT Regular Member

I believe he can win match against any player even LD... provided LCW use the right tools not just using "Brute" or "Z" Force because LD can match his power.

Could it be LCW just testing the water against LD during AE2012 Finals? hmmm...

7. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

if LCW has this ability to plan, rationalise and prestrategize like this, than i say his badminton iq has also increased by leaps and bounds and he would be scary by the time olympics come around

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    "Open, Modern Era" in badminton

I would consider the "Open Era" in badminton as the period when the All-England, then the unofficial world championships, was "open" to players from all over the world.

The AE was initiated by England as a "closed" tournament and British MS players, principally from England and Ireland, dominated from its inception since 1900 to 1937. Please refer to the following list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_All_England_Men's_Singles_champions

In 1938 Jesper Bie of Denmark was MS runner-up and countryman, Tage Madsen took the MS title in 1939.

The "Open Era" came soon after World War II in 1947
    when the AE was resumed after a long war-related break from 1940-46. Prakash Nath of India took the MS silver medal in 1947.

The AE turned international and the floodgates then opened for Asian players to dominate the scene.

In 1949, American neurosurgeon, Dave Freeman, shocked the then Malayans, who won the first edition of the Thomas Cup, when he easily beat Ooi Teik Hock 15-1, 15-6 to become the only American to take the MS title. But thereafter the Malayans, who were well-represented by Wong Peng Soon (4 titles) from Singapore and Eddy Choong (4) from Penang, defeated all opposition from 1950-57.

The Danes then took over the mantle from 1958 when Erland Kops was the undisputed champion who won 7 times, despite the strong challenge from Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan and Thailand.

In 1968, the great Rudy Hartono of Indonesia made his international mark by becoming the AE champ when he was still a teenager I believe. Only compatriot Tan Joe Hok preceded him in 1959. Rudy went on to win consecutively till 1974 and again in 1976 against teammate Liem Swie King. His nine-year run was only broken in 1975 when Svend Pri of Denmark defeated him.

Rudy's eight AE titles in this "Open Era" is still a record, although some have argued that Lin Dan's recent AE win to make it five so far for him, is better.

Some have also said that Rudy's period belongs to the "Stone Age" which I differ. If ever there is a Stone Age in badminton it should belong to the "closed door" period when the AE first started and remained closed for Europeans and Americans only and where the equipment was rudimentary.

Rudy's era can also be considered the "Modern Era" as well when the "power game" was more dominant than the more defensive "cat-and-mouse" strategy. The big attacking smash was very much in Rudy's armoury to be further enhanced by compatriot Liem Swie King later. And the equipment was modified to suit the power game better.

The one noticeable thing missing during Rudy's reign was the absence of China's participation because of politics. But China, during that time was perhaps not as dominant as they are today. Famous names such as "The Thing" and his Chinese counterparts who emigrated to China from Indonesia because of politics again, were older than Rudy and had limited exposure in international badminton.

So Rudy Hartono still stands very tall in modern world badminton.

#7648 Loh, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  9. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
  10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I agree, LCW cant beat LD physically. He has to beat him at his own game. Li Mao moved his physical ability to another level, but he just needs to maintain this.

He should improve his strokeplay and tactics, then he can beat LD.

When LD puts top gear into play no one can match his speed. LCW needs to slow him down and frustrate LD into errors. No easy task given LDs strong mentality.

11. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I wonder how's LCW doing with his injury, has anyone spotted him lately? Just wondering if he is back on his normal training routine.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

he may still be shopping in switzerland :p

13. RyuHayabusa5985

RyuHayabusa5985 Regular Member

He's taking part in Axiata Cup.....The guy is either really dedicated or crazy for money. LOL....With an injured shoulder, I thought he should be resting until Thomas Cup.....

14. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Do you have any news to support your statement?

15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

16. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

17. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Well, I don t think the players will get the money. They are employees. But it s sad, isn t it, to have BAM GM say his injury is not serious, so he may play. Only BAM heads cannot understand that when there s injury, let it heal or the injury will worsen. Maybe injuring LCW for OG is part of their dark objective? Looks like the WR1 has no clout at all.

18. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

With his injury LCW may not be able to win the Axiata cup. Or if he fights through to win, he may injure himself too severely to prepare for Thomas Cup.

What a mess BAM is..

19. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    OMG..... Please think of the OG... This is chance of a lifetime from LCW as a Player & MAS as a nation...MAS will need for don't know how many years to have brilliant player like LCW....

They just think of no other than money...

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Yes, I m wondering, how did LCW beat LD into submission in G3 of Korea Open 2012. Would you please enlighten?