Victor Meteor X70!! (MX70)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by tyshk, Apr 28, 2011.

1. meteor

meteor Regular Member

I played with my new mx70 for two weeks now on a few club nights and I started to really like it. The string which I previously criticised, the bg66UM, feels great on mx70. Repulsion and feel are the best I've experienced so far from a string. Possibly it needed a running-in in period as it felt a little hard and woody in the begining.
    The racket has been growing on me this last week. It was necessary to adopt a slightly less compact swing in order to get better power from the mx70. It's a sharp and powerfull racket with a mx80-esque character.
    However I would like to highlight that in my view, the mx70 is NOT the new mx80. It is a brilliant racket but it misses on the reassuring crispness of the 80. It is powerfull but it doesn't have the cholerical temperament of the 80 when it comes to attack.
    ...I felt like adding this comment because some notable members of this forum have suggested (stiffness) similarities and because Victor has retired the mx80 leaving mx70 as the stiffest in the meteor series - so we can still help ourselves with a slightly stiff racket if we choose.
    Having said that - top marks from me for the mx70 - I won lots of matches with it, which is a good sign...:D

2. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Yep, I have both mx70 and mx80. They are close but not the same at all in terms of accuracy and directness of the mx80 extra stiff shaft, unlike Maklike's assertion which I don't agree with.

The mx80 definitely is a rather demanding racket compared to the mx70 which is more user friendly while still having some accuracy, but dang the mx80 is very satisfying and truly rewards you when you're up to it. :)

#282 visor, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i only have one MX right now. my MX70 which feels great.

but MX80 still have a place in my heart.

my dilemma is then, if i were to get another racket, should i get a MX70 or MX80?

ONE racket. i knew what you are going to say, just ONE racket...

4. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ neither... be like me, get the vtzf instead! ;) :D

5. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    I second VTZF suggestion by visor :p

6. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Tough choice Kwun.

As I haven't played with Meteor 70, and I really love the look of Meteor 60 and 80, it's a hard decision. I'm not sure how long Meteor 80 will be around if that's any consideration for you?

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

7. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

mx 80, 70 n 60.....all r good rackets.. not to be mizzed...

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Victor tends to keep the successful model around for a while. afterall, we can still get models like bs9,10, sw35 which all have been around for a few years already. they have discontinued spira which wasn't that popular. mx80 has been widely popular esp since JJS is using it. i don't doubt it will be around for another 3 years at least.

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

In Benjamin Button's curious case you'd say get the 80 ;) ...

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ended up with the MX80. spec is 87.3/285.

i will have to blatantly copy MT's color scheme. it looks too good not to copy.

11. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    So heart won over your head. Good for you Kwun. We all know you'll enjoy it.

It's tough to judge what's happening with Victor racquets because Victor Europe make different buying decisions. That's not necessarily a bad thing because they have to be careful how many racquets they are selling in Europe. I know Meteor 80 wasn't initially being offered in Europe. However a few test pieces suggested there was a market and suddenly there's a lot been sold.

Paul

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    both are hearts and both are heads. that the dilemma.

i love them both. i already have a MX70.

getting MX80 means i will have one of each, which will be good for good/bad days.
    getting MX70 means i will have 2 identical MX70. which is also good in its own way.

best scenario is of course have one pair of each but unfortunately there are other limitation with that solution... ;)

as long as Victor is still making them, you can get them. be it from another country or in my case i know the US distributor and probably can have him bring back a few from Taiwan.

13. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    Brilliant!

it's good to know the right people and that they are accommodating. I think the team at Victor Europe are like that and will do their best to help. They're the best people to know in the badminton world.

Paul

14. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    Had my first hit with Meteor 70 last night - what a good racquet. Whilst similar to MX80 I thought the racquet felt a lot more solid.

I am testing again tomorrow morning along with Meteor 60 and will write my reviews over the weekend.

Paul

15. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    Looking forward to reading your reviews Paul. I think the MX70 and 60 are both great rackets.

16. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Yeah but string it with red Ultimax! I'm the same - my heart is with the MX80 - but the thing just destroyed my shoulder. Thanks Victor for making the MX60 though....the 80s razor sharpness with more damping / tactility.

17. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    Had a great moring testing 7 Victor racquets. Cream of the crop were MX70 and 60 with the 60 taking the coveted title of best of the bunch. I still feel 70 plays better than 80 - it just flows so much better, although I much prefer the graphics on 80.

I reported previously that I felt MX80 was a bit hollow feeling - it's really hard to describe. I didn't feel this at all with MX70. That's just a hands down solid hitting racquet, fast and does everything very well. But, MX 60 did it all better for me which was a surprise as it's a medium flex racquet. If I had to give up my sponsorship with Yonex, then MX60 would be one of the first racquets I go to. But there again, I haven't tested BS LYD yet! And that's got to be good because it's a Bravesword!

Paul

18. ShuttleCocks

ShuttleCocks Regular Member

Student
    Converted :)

Attached Files:

• qerq.jpg
      qerq.jpg
      File size:
      76 KB
      Views:
  19. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    My review of MX60 has gone live. I'll now complete my review of MX 70 and then announce a posting date. Sorry for the delays guys but I've been so busy with work and struggled because of my back injury.

Paul

20. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied

Paul, I reckon it's because the 80 has virtually no damping. If I was to get a bit wanky with my description, I'd say there's a resonance issue with the level of stiffness of the shaft in combination with the head and strings. Everything goes straight to your shoulder. It's razor sharp, and I love the looks, but I just couldnt stand the 80 any longer and had to give it up 6 months ago. I think if you're a young and fast guy who's a bit of a stronger player it could be an easy racket to love, but for me at least (40 yr old looking to limit his potential for injury) it just lacked polish, a bit of 'humanity', and some damping / feel. Too mechanical and metallic.

The 60 on the other hand, seems to avoid most of the issues of the 80 with the softer shaft. People do have to realise that when we say the 60 is 'medium flex' it's a bit of a misnomer - it's probably somewhere between the BS10 and old spec BS11, with the 70 having the same stiffness as the BS10.