Lee Yong Dae will partner Ha Jung Eun for the 2012 Olympics

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Mar 22, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Lee Yong Dae will partner Ha Jung Eun for the 2012 Olympics

News just received;

Lee Yong-dae lands new partner
    2011-03-22 19:02

Lee Yong-dae, South Korea’s reigning Olympic champion in mixed doubles badminton, will get a new partner in his title defense at the 2012 London Games, his coach said Tuesday.

“We’ve concluded that Lee Yong-dae and Ha Jung-eun will be the optimal mixed doubles team,” coach Sung Han-kuk said. “We made the call after three European tournaments this month.”

Lee, 22, won the Beijing Olympics gold medal with Lee Hyo-jung, a 30-year-old who announced her retirement from the national team after winning mixed doubles gold at the Guangzhou Asian Games last fall. She played with Shin Baek-cheol at the time.

With Lee Hyo-jung out of the picture, Sung and his coaches mulled over the best combination for Lee Yong-dae over the German Open, All-England Open and Swiss Open championships.

In Germany, Lee played with Kim Ha-na and lost in the quarterfinals. After skipping the mixed doubles in England, Lee teamed up with Ha in Switzerland and reached the semifinals, where they lost to a tough duo in three sets.

“(Lee and Ha) pushed the strong Danish team (of Joachim Fischer Nielsen and Christina Pedersen) in the semis to three sets,” Sung said. “After taking into account these recent results, we felt (Lee and Ha) played well as a team.”

Ha, 23, had previously played with Lee at the 2005 Korea Open as a high school freshman. In Beijing, Lee Yong-dae provided stability while Lee Hyo-jung, slightly taller than her male partner at 181 centimeters, attacked the net with abandon. Coach Sung said Ha, listed at 173 centimeters, may not be as adept near the net as Lee Hyo-jung but has potential for improvement.

“Lee Yong-dae is the steady player and Ha will get better around the net,” the coach said. “He’s found a good match.”

Source: http://www.koreaherald.com/sports/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110322000899

2. red_dragon

red_dragon Regular Member

what happens to ko sung hyun? just focusing on doubles now?

I thought he was a good mixed player too.....

3. heqingbluesky

heqingbluesky Regular Member

Lee Yong Dae is just about to quit men's-double match?

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Are you asking us? Or telling us?

Are you asking us? Or, telling us? :confused::confused::confused:

5. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Jung Jae Sung should play with Kim Min Jung.:) I reckon he would be a great XD player. LYD should have a good chance in OG12.:) with Jung and Ha.:)

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Ko Sung Hyun partnering Ha Jung Eun at the 2011 Sudirman Cup

He is. :):):)

And we saw Ko Sung Hyun partnering Ha Jung Eun on Thursday (26-May-2011) at the Sudirman Cup (playing against Malaysia).

Ko Sung Hyun/Ha Jung Eun defeated Koo Kien Keat/Chin Eei Hui 21-17, 21-17, in 28 minutes.

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I don't think he would be good enough to cover the court?

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Jung Jae Sung could probably be playing with Kim Min Jung

According to what was said by coach Sung Han-kuk; Lee Yong Dae will partner Ha Jung Eun for the 2012 Olympics, therefore Jung Jae Sung could probably be playing with Kim Min Jung as the other Mixed Doubles pair.

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I don't think they'll send JJS as a XD player, the best results have been achieved by LYD and KSH recently....I've actually never heard of JJS playing XD. In most cases, the 'front' player of a strong MD combination is the better XD player, as XD is very tactical and the front players are often the playmakers. Same with HS/MK - HS is a much much better XD player than MK, who often plays himself into trouble.
    KSH is a bit of an exception, but he and YYS dont really have a set formation whereas JJS really prefers to play from the back of the court.

10. Cheetah

Cheetah Regular Member

Student
    True... But what do you guys think about KSH playing XD with KMJ? YYS and KMJ do not have the best results but I see potential in KMJ and I think KOR will need a 2nd XD Pair.. a good one..

OR: LYD with KMJ and let HJE be the partner of KSH... as we have seen in Sudirman Cup KSH & HJE are capable of defeating the Chinese...

11. event

event Regular Member

Jung Jae Sung played mixed in a few tournaments last year with Lee Kyung Won. He was also national championship runner-up in mixed one year. He can play it but he has never specialized in it. Don't expect him to suddenly start playing it now. He has done everything but explicitly state that London is his final goal, qualification has already started, and Kim Min Jung is playing with Shin Baek Cheol in the three June tournaments. Kim Ha Na, Jang Ye Na, Jung Kyung Eun, and Kim Min Seo all have new or continuing partnerships as well.

12. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Not sure LYD will have enough energy to play both disciplines, from Sudirman Cup, Korea may hint that LYD still has a bit injury( KOREA did not filed LYD/Ha to take XD from CHN)..I wont be surprised that LYD/Ha may withdraw some of 3 next tournaments.....it is tough especially on 3rd tournament, INA PREMIER Open....

13. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    I agree with the example that CY would be awesome in mixed, yet at the same time, when I watched FHF played mixed with MJ, he was fantastic. But I disagree, presenting examples such as Zheng Bo, Xu Chen, Tao Jiaming, Nathan Robertson, Anthony Clark, and Robert Blair....All of whom are back court players, and play an aggressive-power style and pound the bird =]

Oh, and JJS did play mixed. I have a vid of him playing in the qualifying stages for MO many years ago. He played with the LD partner of LHJ i believe.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I think Zheng Bo profited very much from Gao Lings skill, he is a very good mixed player, but a bit too smash-happy (like Kido - but his smash is better and he's fitter^^).
    Xu Chen, Nathan Robertson and Robert Blair are not back court players imop. Of course they are good back court players, but Nathan and Robert don't have the cannon smash most back players do, and Xu Chen was never very good in MD imop so I cant judge that accurately.
    Tao Jiaming has severe weaknesses which are often exploited by the opponents (weak defense, weak net play). Same with HHB, but TJM uses more variation in his attack.

15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

what about yoo yeon seong? Play in MD only for now?

16. event

event Regular Member

Well, as you can see, in Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand, Yoo will be playing with Jang Ye Na. Technically, these pairings are not etched in stone but on the other hand, switching them around and still having players accumulate Olympic qualifying points is pretty iffy.

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Yes, at the 2011 Sudirman Cup, KSH & HJE performed well.

I wonder if coach Sung Han-kuk would make another change; from what decision that was made 3 months' ago;

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I wonder if coach Sung Han Kuk would make another change of plans

From the latest rankings released today (2011 Week No.22), we have;

At No.4 :):) are Ko Sung Hyun/Ha Jung Eun

At No.174 :confused: are Lee Yong Dae/Ha Jung Eun

Source: http://bwfbadminton.org/page.aspx?id=14955

19. Dokkie

Dokkie Regular Member

I don't think it really matters who'll pair HJE, although I think KSH has a slight edge over LYD. HJE is in mixed doubles not consistent enough, so there won't be any prizes to win I'm afraid. Btw I hope KSH will be playing mixed, LYD just has to focus on MD and KSH is more exciting to watch in XD

20. event

event Regular Member

Keep in mind, though, that there are really only about 5400 point difference between the two pairs, when you're thinking of Olympic qualification. All but their Sudirman points (5932 vs. 491). Most of the points on which the rankings are based are from before May. With the notional ranking, however, Lee and Ha still don't have to play qualifying in Singapore or Indonesia.