Is my forehand stroke okay?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jut703, Mar 21, 2010.

1. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Very difficult to say. What you show us in the video may be different on court when actually hitting the shuttle. It 'looks' OK though we cannot see either the pronation nor racquet head very clearly

3. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

Thanks. I'll try to upload a better video of an on-court performance soon. :)

I do try the pronation and supination of the forearm when I hit, though sometimes it causes me to mishit. I guess I need a lot more practice :)

4. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

a stiff elbow is wat i see as a fault in the strock

5. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

I noticed that too. Thing is, since I started being more particular about my pronation and supination and the steepness of my shot, my elbow seems to not follow through too much :(

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

It's hard to say for sure, but it seems to me that you're over-extending your elbow during the stroke.

Certainly this is true when you practise it in slow-motion: you've got a completely straight arm, "locked out" at the elbow. Instead, you should maintain a slight bend at the elbow even when you hit the shuttle.

7. s0nnay

s0nnay Regular Member

I think you dip your shoulder/arm too much but maybe its the angle on the second video. Also i get the feeling you are gripping the racket too tight.
    As stated, maybe a video on court would be more effective and easier to analyse.

8. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    Yeah swinging your arm too far down and you look like youre holding your racket really tight... the best game is the one with a loose grip

9. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

What does it mean when I'm dipping my arm too far down? I'm sorry I'm pretty slow at visualizing right now. :)

I do understand the holding the racquet too tightly. I'll try to relax more. But when exactly do I start holding it tight? When the supination starts? :)

10. ixoye

ixoye Regular Member

"Is my forehand stroke okay?"

In a word, no. You're not actually pronating, you're letting your arm do all the work. You're "reaching" for the shuttle, meaning your elbow is straight during the stroke. Elbow should always be bent around 120 degrees, more or less.

On the plus side, I don't see wrist flexion. And your feet movement look okay.

11. s0nnay

s0nnay Regular Member

It mean's that your arm should be more of a 'L shape' rather than a 'V shape'. Hope you can visualize what i'm trying to say. The technique you're using now seems like you would be hitting the shuttle late and not at your highest point: It can make all the difference.

I generally leave a gap between my palm and handle, it tends to tighten just after 12 o'clock, but very minimal literally cuffing the racket so it won't fly out my hand lol.

Hope that helps. :)

12. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

Hmm, the way I understand it, I should relax my arm a bit more so my elbow doesn't lock out. Also, I should maintain its natural bend.

However, I'm quite lost. The way I'm getting it, my elbow should be an L-shape during the stroke, yet at the point of impact, I should reach for it as high as possible. I find it contradictory, how can I reach for it as high as I can without straightening my elbow and arm excessively? :)

13. s0nnay

s0nnay Regular Member

L shape not during your stroke, but your stance.

14. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Because you should not be reaching as high as you can. Instead, you should be hitting at full relaxed reach (which is less than your maximum reach).

15. jut703

jut703 Regular Member

Oh I get it. So I'm holding my racket too close to me before hitting, is that right? Thanks. I'll take note of that :)

About the stretching, I understand that I have to keep my arm relaxed while reaching. But what about the follow through? How can I avoid the stiff elbow? :)