Wang Yihan ( 王仪涵 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by suetyan, Sep 22, 2008.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

If WYH blames her form on the CSL, that's rubbish. Her form has been dwindling even before the UC and has continued to rapidly deteriorate since.

The timing of the CSL may have been bad as far as training goes but CHN decided to run the league and have to live with it. Based on the evidence of how many CHN players have made the QF of the WC, I'd say it's had little impact as far as fatigue goes.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..from what i saw of her match (1/3 of it) vs. Eriko, she didn't seem tired..The final scoreboard also didn't indicate that WYH was anywhere close to being tired..Btw, this was their 4th meeting and WYH had won the last three prior to y'day's match; last recorded meeting was during last yr's DEN Open which also ended in 3 games..

#1442 ctjcad, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  3. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Her game has been thoroughly analyzed by others, which explain why she kept losing after a long period of domination(thanks to her athletic ability). Even Ian and Gill, commentators spotted her weaknesses.

#1443 lcleing, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  4. madbad

madbad Regular Member

The part you "edited" was quite insightful and revealing

5. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Hmm...did I:rolleyes::rolleyes: edited it? Better let the Chinese coach figure that out themselves I guess;). Anyway, I believe it's not a secret. She just needs time to rectify her habit.

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Hehe, sneaky one. I have mentioned this before but I think her size is also working against her. She seems a little cumbersome

7. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

To a certain extent, she seems uncomfortable with shots that goes under her waist. Longer reaction time for a big girl like her I guess

However, I hold a different opinion on her being cumbersome around court. She likes fast pace game and frequently got into truoble when opponent slow her game down a little(with soft shots). That's when she started to produce error. That's only my opinion anyway...

Shhh...don't tell Zhang Ning that I said those:rolleyes::cool::p. She might laugh at me being an amateur;);).

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

the downward spiral for Wang Yihan, seems to he continuing. CHN would have been better of with Lu Lan instead of Wang Yihan.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..WYH losing to Bae Seung Hee (in the recent UC Final), of all WS players, in straight games, i may add, is surely a big tell-tale sign..:(

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

To add to this, I would say players who change pace give her the most trouble. That's where her cumbesomeness (such a word?) is most apparent

11. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    She will be replaced by JyJ next time...AG ?
    Anyway what a great job by Heriko !

12. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

lose is lose, nothing she can do now. Hopefully Yihan can improve her footwork in the future, she has a big problem with her footwork! Hirose played well in yesterday match, she read WYH's weaknesses. I doubt Hirose can defeat Wang Lin once again tonight. Hope she will bounce back in the future, just like Lin Dan, from a 'Zero Dan' to a 'Super Dan'. She was crying after match. Here is an interview of her: http://video.sina.com.cn/p/sports/o/v/2010-08-27/133161128721.html

13. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    It was so awful seeing her cry...along with Wang Shixian and Saina Nehwal, WYH is my favourite of the new bunch of ladies currently competing - I just love their styles of play and how they appear to be off-court. Poor Yihan...::hugs:: :crying:

My only fear is that her losing streak will continue and that she'll become one of these one-hit wonders that we've seen in the past. I guess whether she bounces back in future competitions will be an indicator of just how weak or strong she is mentally. I'm just at a loss as to why she's been playing quite badly recently...is she undergoing any personal problems or something? Oh, and can someone please, please translate what she said in the linked clip?

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    2010 BWF WC: Wang Yihan is still one of our best CHN participating players

I feel the pressure that WYH is facing at this 2010 BWF WC.

Hope she will rest and return later, to show us that she is still one of our best CHN participating players.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that was so sad! it shows how she really cared about her results and her passion for badminton.

rough translation, "hope to obtain better result in future match, hope to improve/climb higher when down."

16. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

basically from the interview, you can see that she was sobbing inconsolably.
    WYH: "it was a big lesson for me.... (stop for 5 seconds).. (sobbing)... hopefully.. (sobbing) ..I can train well after this so that I can achieve better result for the coming tournaments. Hopefully I can climb back in the future."

17. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

kwun, she has a lot of pressure standing at the stage of WC. Why she cares about her results? It is because of Zhang Ning and Li Yongbo. I think the coaches did put pressure on her too. Because she was doing badly at the recent CBSL, so, she has to prove herself at the WC. But, she failed. Don't you see ZN's black face after the match? :D She ain't talk and look at WYH at all!

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

- I saw her match vs. Eriko. She nearly lost the 1st game after reaching game pt and had to fend off the feisty Eriko to squeeze out a 22-20 victory. God knows what would happen if she had lost the 1st game. Of course, i missed the 2nd & 3rd games as my eyes decided to shut down..
    - Yes, i also think her footwork could be her achilles heel (no pun intended). Maybe that's why she's had trouble reaching to her backhand side.
    - I can also feel pressure, esp. from ZN and the coaches, being partly involved in her recent struggle. But OTOH, i can see her age being an advantage for her also. She's how old this yr, 22 or 23 y.o.? Hmm, if i recall, ZN didn't win her first WC til she was past 26 y.o...I hope she hasn't started doubting herself or her ability and hope she is just hitting a brief and small downward patch of her career. But yes, imo, it'll come down to her mental strength to bring her out of the current struggle..We shall see..

#1458 ctjcad, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  19. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

she is 22 this year. If i am not mistaken, ZN won her first WC title only in 2003 at the age of 28 or 29. She should not put too much pressure on her players.

20. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the translation. I'd feel even sadder if she had been sobbing inconsolably before the interview; I thought she started breaking up whilst being interviewed and that her face was initially so wet because she'd been sweating. :(

The thing that worries me about WYH is that her recent play has just been, to be perfectly frank, quite bad. I was there at the Uber Cup final when she lost to Bae Seung Hee, and her playing was just far below the standard she had displayed when she was on her dominant streak last year. If she's not injured or undergoing any drama in her personal life, then I guess her main problem must be a psychological one.

I don't know how Zhang Ning is like as a coach, but I did notice her patting WYH on the back after her loss to Hirose, so hopefully she does serve as a source of comfort to her charges when needed. I get so worried about these young athletes sometimes...that if they're down and out, they'd have no one to turn to.