Mens Single Best Smasher

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Yoppy, Sep 13, 2010.

?

Who has the best effective smash in MS?

1. Liem Swie King

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Heryanto Arbi

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Yang Yang

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Morten Frost

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Zhao Jianhua

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Taufik Hidayat

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Lin Dan

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  8. Lee Chong Wei

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Peter Gade

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Others - please specify

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I think in this forum, the Chinese don't have too much of an advantage as it's in English ;) I think that limits the numbers quite a bit...also, many Europeans and Americans (myself included) have voted for LD. :)

2. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, there aren't too many people from mainland China here on the forum...

3. TheComedian

TheComedian Regular Member

Badminton Player/Coach
    1. Taufik Hidayat
    2. Lin Dan
    3. Marc Zweibler (when he times it right, it goes freaken FAST)
    4. Lee Chong Wei
    5. Kenichi Tago

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Marc is definitely not as good as LCW. E.g. his top smash against LD was no faster than 260, whereas LCW repeatedly went faster than 270 or even 280. The average speed of Marc's smashes is normally around 225 as opposed to ~250 of LCW. I believe Tago is also better, but that's a personal opinion =)

5. bogz8

bogz8 New Member

Student
    Lin Dan's smashing ability was superb .. he could use unto it into different angles with supreme power .... amazing ..

6. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    Well I know Marc's smash isn't consistant, but every once in a while he busts out a smash that even Lee Chong Wei can't match. But usally when he plays lower ranked players. Like Simon Santoso. Maybe I should have put him number 5 :p

I ranked Taufik 1st because you know, He has a better samsh than Lin Dan on both sides. (Forehand AND Backhand) not only is it more powerful, he paints the lines.

Kenichi Togo's smash is Wicked. It's angled, fast, and deadly. but as Peter Gade has explained, Tago's footwork is inexpierenced. He makes bad decisions and usally ends up being late for most overhead shots. If you watch the Bao Chunlai vs Tago match from the Semi - Final of the all england 2010, you can see that. But if you watch the final against Lee Chong Wei, He gets most of his points from smashing down Lee Chong Wei's Forhand side.

7. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei has an amazing smash, probably the most consistent and effective, in my opinion.

When it comes to raw power, it just has to be Hidayat in his prime. Lin Dan comes close.

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hm. I've seen him play on several occasions, and never thought a smash was particularly impressive (compared to the other professionals, of course :D). But maybe I've watched the wrong matches...do you remember a specific match where he did one of those smashes?
    That being said, his game is really not built around his smashes. I think he plays with pretty high tension (compare the sound it makes...), which might limit his power, but he goes for accuracy rather than power anyway. He also has an impressive court coverage.

9. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    sure, I can give you a few matches where he has a very effective smash.
    2008 japan open semi - final.
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDkyMjI0MTI=.html
    2010 All england Final (Many Smashes down LCW forehand side. It was his strategy from the start and almost won).
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjI5MTYyOTQ0.html
    2010 All england semi - final match (3rd Game you can see)
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTU3OTI4NTgw.html

He can run yes. Thats because in international play he is always late so he can't use his big smash. but if you let him get there, he has the capability.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Ahh, misunderstanding - I was talking about Marc :)

11. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    oh :p ok, look on the website "BadmintonFreak.com" there is a match "Marc vs Simon." I am not sure which tournament it was but it's a round robin. watch that one. there is one notable smash. it's so fast you can't even see it. Simon didn't see it either :p

12. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
  13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

14. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    oh, but it's that game. maybe you can find it somewhere else. I will try to find it on Chinese websites.

15. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    We are talking about the effective and 'unique' smash right? For me:
    1. Lin Dan

I watched him since he's still 23 years old, and from the start, he has an amazing smash angle, smash repeatability, and smash power, basically, he can smash anywhere he wants.. :)

2. Lee Chong Wei

I think it's bcoz of his footwork that makes him can smash effectively.. he don't have the raw power for smash, but he has the technique to create a steep angle..

3. Taufik Hidayat

For me, he has the raw power and a steep angle also, but not as good as those two in above.. maybe bcoz he don't want to waste so much energy, or maybe he can't get the shuttlecock in front of him very often..

4. Kenichi Tago

I like the angle he created when he smashed, especially when against Lee Chong Wei at All England Final.. for me his power is definitely not as great as those 3 above, but he has pin-point accuracy, compared to Taufik.. *IMO*

5. Peter Gade

I don't really watch his match on his prime, but all i know from recent years that he doesn't smash to kill or end the rally, but it's to make ur opponent do mistakes or to set-up for another killing moves..

16. Zackster

Zackster Regular Member

Student
    Taufik has best smash i've seen , he doesn't really take a big jump like lin dan but he still put the shuttle down hard. What is impressive is his stroke , it seems so natural to him.

LCW has one of the most impressive overhead smashes, where he basically jump from his base position. I think this is his signature move now. Quite impressed that he is able to generate a lot power from just leaping with one foot.

Lin dan, for his power jump smashes , very deceptive and fast. I like it when he makes the "omph" sound when ever he smashes.

17. GoodMorning

GoodMorning Regular Member

Hydraulics & Industrial Trading Supply
    1) Taufik Hidayat always envy and admire his natural talent on court. His backhand magic got me amazed and shocked every time I watch it. There is one video in YouTube he play against Japanese player that went over 300KM/H. That's pure power and perfect technique in executing the smash.

2) Fu Hai Feng, there is no need to elaborate. Everyone know for his strong and consistent smash start from 270KM/H and above. Did he got the fastest smash in World Championship 2011? Around 290KM/H + ? If not mistaken.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I think FHF managed 301km/h in the semis, but this is only about Men's Singles' Smashers :)

19. vin219

vin219 Regular Member

businessman
    i would say LD is d best offensive players to date.. look at how he played at Olympic 2008 final. LCW had no answer to final attcking shot watsoever. he's simply not playable during tat time.
    (note: LCW is probably has best defence in d world)

20. vin219

vin219 Regular Member

businessman
    wat about peter rasmusen? not sure i spell rite?