Taufik Hidayat's Attitude and Opinion about the All England

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by repentedboy, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caarl

Caarl Regular Member

Student
    I have to agree... Taufik is a huge talent.. Lin dan has a lot more money and coaches at his disposal than Taufik does, also Taufik is more entertaining than Lin Dan or LCW. I still think Taufik has the best technique the game has ever seen.

2. flite

flite Regular Member

Did you ever bother to read other people's post before you give your comments. I said this because I remembered it happened once not too long ago in LD's thread and I don't want to go in big circles anymore. You rate a players based on records and that's you but not me.

peace of course.

#62 flite, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  3. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    Yes that's the thing you see. Besides winning the three major tournaments, there's nothing else to shout about when you compare him with LD and LCW.

LCW is the most successful player in Super Series. Sure he didnt win any gold medal of the three but being a WR1, he proved that he was not ranked for nothing and he managed to reach to the finals of those tournament only be beaten by the better opponent sadly.

Lin Dan, the record speaks for itself. If you wanna keep challenging Lin Dan's winning credibility just because he has the home factor, look at Taufik first before you comment.

He has only win most of his titles from South East Asia (including Indonesia) but did he win the million dollar Korea Open, Denmark Open, Hong Kong Open, China Open, Japan Open and All England?

Beside talent, there's nothing else I could come out with in Taufik's context.

Ask the bwf commentators or officials; those who decide who deserves to get into the Hall Of Fame. Based on Taufik's form and results in the Super Series since 2007 as well as his contribution in the six Thomas Cup appearance, would they agree to say he is the greatest of all time?

I can bet all my savings to you; they will give you a straight stare and say No because they believe arguably it's Lin Dan followed by Lee Chong Wei.

4. flite

flite Regular Member

Exactly. Besides having won all the majors except the AE he has the talent that is second to none even until today. No doubt records are important but its mend to be broken in times to come. Many used to say that Pete Sampras records couldn't be broken but look what happen now. But pure talent is rare and very hard to come by. We had one in ZJH but that was 30 years ago.

5. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

sorry, my bad. :p but post #57 hasn't been there when i type my post.

being a so talented player like taufik, with a little more discipline lifestyle, he might would achieve more, and the title 'greatest of all time' would be his, convincingly, talent and achivements aspects. but as for now, people will say he has the best talent, and it's all. with respect to TH's achievements, i would still say that his achievement still not the best. ideally, he can achieve more and contribute more to his nation in team's events, but sadly that's not the case.

about rating players on their achievements, i think it's not just me actually. afterall, what is the better measurement for one athlete's achievement if not the record?

6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

7. repentedboy

student la
    Some truths are quite hard to accept admittedly. His achievements are still not the best; just accept in black and white. Talent-wise actually it's hard to say. If Axelsen wins the Olympic gold, obviously people are going to claim he is the most talented player ever. Speaking of talent, that's a subjective metric; you will can claim whatever you like.

We will find out sooner or later whether Taufik Hidayat deserves to be in the Hall of Fame because that's the only hall to remember Great Players. As far as I am concerned talent is not enough.

Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei and Peter Gade actually by right have already earn themselves a place in the Hall of Fame on the basis of their continuous contribution and commitment to train, work hard and do their best to produce good results in ANY tournament regardless of it being major or minor (especially the Super Series; the most important season that makes badminton popular nowadays).

Talent-aside, Taufik's problems with the PBSIs and lack of commitment/passion to participate seriously in the SS tournaments in the last six years (that lapse of off form) and his habit of only to win the tournaments that he thinks matter to him only, most probably give the BWF judges to rethink about considering inducting him in the Hall of Fame.

Just my opinion. I will find out soon enough after he retires.

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Let me repeat the answer to this useless thread and put and end to it ...

----------------------

If Gade had won a medal in any previous OG he likely would have retired four years ago and as far as LCW goes ... Chen Hong Plus?

#68 demolidor, Jul 23, 2012
  9. bh185008

bh185008 Regular Member

Wow..you are really amazing with your comments and you HATRED towards TAUFIK or other INDONESIAN PLAYERS.......i have no comment to all of your useless threads or comments...but just to laugh...but hey..your comment about putting LCW and Peter gade to Hall of Fame ahead of Taufik..wauw...i am truly speechless....they never won WC, OG or TC....(I havent said AG because Peter Gade is in Europe and he won the EC many times)..no disrespect to LCW and PG ( i admire them so much too)...but your comment is GARBAGE..all of them were or are..

Just my OPINION ...:)

@Mods - please delete this thread immediately :)

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Oh my word! Such a hilarious thread! :p

Let me transcribe the translated voice-over of Taufik's statement, right here.

"Yes, if you tell about satisfaction, no one will ever be truly satisfied, but I'm always thankful because I've won all the major titles, like the SEA games, the Asia Games twice, the World Championships, the Olympics, and even the Thomas Cup. Also, I have triumphed at major tournaments like the Malaysia Oen and the Indonesia Open. The only title I have never won is the All England, but to me, the All England is like any other Super Series tournament. The only difference is in the name. So to me, I am always thankful because I have achieved a lot at all the major tournaments."

OK now let's nitpick. Taufik, yes Taufik that guy who grew up writing essays in his native language, English, :rolleyes: made the mortal mistake of saying "majors" (if the translation is accurate) without giving footnotes for exceptions. Execute him! He said AE is a SS; well, in essence it is still (and always was) at the same level as IO, MO, CO/CM blah blah. Anyone want to get into "subjective/objective" with me on this? Stay the execution! Well, maybe just half-execute him!

Only trouble is, folks, our pal Taufik doesn't give a s**t about people's opinion, especially those who want to post-mortem his simple words. He is not a diplomat, nor is he the team manager or the team's PR guy, so he will say what he thinks, in broad strokes.

The only people who care so deeply about what Taufik said in those 40 seconds, are those that need to create discord. He would dismiss them just like he's done the best players of 2 generations; with an exquisitely contemptuous backhand slap.

My 2 cents. Don't mean to offend anyone. Don't mean to say anything that may cause anyone to slap me with a lawsuit or with threats of summary ejection from this forum. Don't give a damn if I do, either, actually! Because I'm just responding to an invitation by the Op.

Mods: please do not shut down this thread.

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Sometimes, it takes a while before people show themselves for their true worth. You need to be patient. Else, how will you know if this is just another dog-and-pony show, or not?

This time around, it has taken much longer than the "other" time around. But that is understandable, given that the stakes are higher as we near the critical time period.

Maybe, finally, this thread is really about people's attitude toward Taufik Hidayat. Very soon he may be called "that Hidayat" by some, just like Saina is now called "that Nehwal" by some. Just reflective of attitude, IMO.

Talking about "attitude" toward a certain Open, what's worse in your opinion: showing up and playing your heart out for a decade, or doing a brazen no-show or withdrawing your entire frontline team as was done recently by a certain association at a certain SS Open, including those players who would not be at the LOG?

12. repentedboy

student la
    Well we find out whether he gets into the Hall of Fame to see whose comment is garbage or not. I am just waiting to see what the Judges think after he retires.

Btw, Poul Erik Hyor Larsen (Gold Medallist 1996), Alan Budikusuma (Gold Medallist 1992), Ji Xinpeng (Gold Medallist 2000) are not in the Hall of Fame.

Also, Liem Swie King is in the Hall Of Fame; his achievement is the same as Lee Chong Wei; no WC and OG but one of the most successful players in the tournament circuit.

Winning OG and WC doesnt guarantee a place in the Hall of Fame. You gotta do more than that.

Lin Dan has done enough needless to say. Lee Chong Wei proved and tried so hard to win 42 titles overall. Peter Gade has stayed as long as he could and he still finish as semifinalists for his age.

To me, that's more than enough :p. OG and WC are not everything. Dont be muddleheaded :p

#72 repentedboy, Jul 23, 2012
  13. thekong

thekong Regular Member

[FONT=&#26032]For what is worth, I remember in an interview during the 100[SUP]th [/SUP][/FONT][FONT=&#26032]AE, LD was being asked whether he felt anything special about it being the 100[SUP]th[/SUP] AE, and whether he would play extra hard trying to win it. LD’s reply was, something like, “No, this is just another tournament to me, and I will play it the same as any other tournament I participate in”.

I believe the interviewer was a bit surprised at LD’s answer!
    [/FONT]

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

If i recall, only LCW and LD can brag about the number of non-major titles (if one strips away the AE, WC, OG & AG titles) they've won in comparison to Taufik. Remember, out of the three, Taufik played over a longer career span but he only showed his true brilliance & playing all out in maybe a total of 5-6 of those yrs..And all 3 of them are about the same age.

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..after winning 4 of them...In comparison with Taufik who hasn't even won 1 AE title..:cool:

16. repentedboy

student la
    Errr....like...duh ??

Err...he won more than once. To him, that tournament is a piece of cake ?

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think Lin Dan's reply said it all. My interpretation is that he wasn't in any way belittling nor elevating any particular tournament or title, just treating it with an even mind so as not to put unnecessary pressure on himself.

18. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Interestingly I’ve watched a short programme last night about the Chinese veterans for the London Olympics. The first one on is Lin Dan and he singled out 3 players he admired and respected most, not because of their results but their attitude toward badminton.

According to Lin Dan they are Hendrawan, Taufik Hidayat and Peter Gade.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Only blatant violators of the forum's rules need fear a ban. I trust the rules are fair and just ,and it's for everybody's good. Whether the admin/mods want to implement it strictly or loosely is up to them. If they prefer to err on the side of liberalism and tolerance, so be it.

"By liberalism I don't mean the creed of any party or any century. I mean a generosity of spirit, a tolerance of others, an attempt to comprehend otherness, a commitment to the rule of law, a high ideal of the worth and dignity of man, a repugnance for authoritarianism and a love of freedom" [Alan Paton
    Lecture at Yale University]

As for lawsuits,if one is accused of a crime, such as cheating,one has an inalienable right to defend oneself by protesting one's innocence,demanding an apology and/or compensation,exacting punishment on the wrongful accuser or suchlike as the rule of law permits unless of course one is guilty of the crime. There is a Chinese proverb that says clear conscience never fears midnight knocking.

We often hear of the saying - you can run but you cannot hide; let me add,you can hide as in this forum behind the cloak of anonymity but you cannot hide from yourself.

Finally,it bears repeating that the right to freedom of expression (synonymous with freedom of speech) is not absolute but subject to limitations as with slander,libel,obscenity and incitement to commit a crime, and carries with it special duties and responsibilities when necessary for the rights and reputation of others.

己所不欲,勿施於人。"What you do not wish for yourself, do not do to others."子貢問曰:“有一言而可以終身行之者乎”?子曰:“其恕乎!己所不欲、勿施於人。”Zi Gong [a disciple] asked: "Is there any one word that could guide a person throughout life?"
    The Master replied: "How about 'reciprocity'! Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."
    ----- from Analects of Confucius (Kongzi)

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Expect to hear PG say some nice words about LD soon. So his best friend, LCW, didn't make the cut?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.