Tan Chun Seang

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Loh, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    This reminds me of some Singaporean scholars who broke their scholarship bonds and refused to return home to fulfil their undertaking.

Yes, some of them may have genuine reasons not to return yet as they want to do post graduate work, further their research or gather more experience, but some chose to remain overseas because of high-paying jobs being offered to them and their prospective employers are willing to pay off their bonds. At least the Singaporean government is being compensated but in reality it would prefer the scholar to return home to contribute.

It seems fair that TCS has to pay back something to BAM if he wants to quit to have the freedom to play professionally. Some sort of "Transfer Fee" if you like.

But BAM must be consistent in its policy and should not treat players on a case-by-case basis. Some players are allowed to get off scotch-free while others have to pay a penalty. The player's contract must be transparent and fair. :rolleyes:

2. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Hang Jebat is back!

This Tan Chun Seang's case is interesting as I can see 2 school of thoughts here. One group is of the opinion that it is within BAM's rights to protect their 'investments'. Fair enough of an argument. The 2nd group is calling for a review of the salaries and allowances paid to our shuttlers from bottom to the top or vice versa. I too say this group is partly correct in calling for a review as in due honesty, it is impossible to survive with less than RM1,500 a month.

To me, I am of the opinion that this 2 school of thoughts are not hitting at the core of the issue or problem. Its like a doctor giving out panadols to a cancer patient. If we dont resolve the issue or problem at its core, the issue or problem wont go away.

The core of the problem to me is corruption. Yes, corruption plain and simple. It is rampant as reflected by Transparency International. Now, for those who still dont get it, allow me to explain a little further ....

TCS decides to pack up because with earnings of less than RM1,500 a month, he is finding it hard to make ends meet. I dont blame him because the guy is right. It is hard to survive in KL with less than RM1,500. TCS got to pay for his car, for example and lets face it cars in Malaysia costs a lot more. If the government allowed a free-for-all in the car industry then cars would cost much cheaper than they do now. But they can’t allow a free-for-all because certain individuls got to be 'protected' so that they can make a lot of money from the car import permits and whatnot. So Malaysians have to pay double what they should actually be paying for their cars. But their salaries are not double what they should be. In the end we end up as slaves to our cars not the other way round.

Ok, some of you may argue TCS should not own a car and use public transport instead. But then again it is because of the sorry state of public transport he have no choice but to own a car. You just can’t get around without a car like you can in so many other countries.

Not only cars are expensive in Malaysia. Food is expensive as well as other essential goods in relation to our wages. I mean TCS on less than RM1,500 is finding it hard, I can dare say even for those of us who earns around RM8,000 a month is finding it hard. Lets be honest after all the deductions you have very little or none left.

When corruption does not affect you directly you are not too concerned about it. It is like crime. As long as the robbers do not break into your home to rob you then who bothers too much about the high level of crime? It is when it is you that is hit that you become outraged about the high crime rate and the low level of police enforcement and lack of effort to combat crime.

But corruption does affect us, contrary to what many may be thinking. Sometimes it affects us directly. Most times, indirectly.

As such in TCS's case, BAM can revise and up the salaries but if our basic institutions are not right, I would say even if BAM pay TCS RM5,000 a month it wont be adequate if we allow corruption to evolve in our country.

3. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    A very warm welcome back! Looking forward for your next posts.
    And you should see how all Bcers are missing you. *wink*.

4. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Professional sports

Also I think professional sports in Asia is a bit underdeveloped. Also, depending on the GDP of the country and how much is the per capita.

We don't see comparable multi-million salaries like in baseball, basketball, soccer, ice-hockey and even golf/tennis in Asia even for non All-Star professional athletes.

There is no marketing machinery that sells memorabillia like rookie cards, bobble head dolls, limited edition collectibles etc. Or no market for these items. Or season ticket paying fans to support the sports franchise.

I'm not saying there are no people who will pay a premium tickets like USD100 per game or much more for season tickets. Recently an example is the premium tickets were snatched up when Liverpool FC came to Singapore.

If the sports sells, the athletes salary will skyrocket.

#364 Badmintan, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  5. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Once profesionalism start to develop in MSIA badminton, BAM will lost it grip on $$$ from Gomen. When BAM isnt a "Milking Cow" anymore, most individual who run BAM will leave bcoz they dun have LOVE for badminton. This BUNCH of PPL just wanna MILK $$$ from Baddie!!!

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    rm 500 is from BAM
    other than that is not;)

good then
    give me all ur salary,i give u back rm 500
    then u try to survive for 2/3 years
    see u coplain or not:rolleyes:

haha
    no need to go shopping one
    atleast not for short term
    his gf not malaysian:cool:

welcome back,i miss u
    ^^
    want to go mas open 2010?
    thomas cup/uber cup 2010?
    come come come:D

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Am i reading this right???..is the one & only Pemuda really back??..

..wow, and as classic as always, returning with a BANG!!!...:eek::cool:

Re-welcoming you back, bud. I hope you're now refreshed...:p..
    I wonder what you had to do to get your acct "unbanned"??..:p

Btw, if you haven't noticed, there's now a "LCW-going downhill?" thread that needs someone to crank up the posts count...;)

8. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c

I give standing Ovation + Grand cerremony for your 'Return'

Never have I read a post that can kill so many birds, cows, buffalo with 1 Stone!

Fantastico!

9. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Most Local University Students (Including myself) survived with less than RM500 a month. Some of us for as long as 6 years.

No Study loan paid for any overseas trip for me. Not even 1.

None of use was expecting anything near to RM1K if we are studying.

Do you think Tan Chun Seang graduate already???? I'm sure his China and Indonesia opponents might think TCS in Form 6 ONLY.

Wake up and smell the coffee. The REAL world is out side. Have you faced it????

10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

I totally agree. This is the point I am trying to make.

Happy that you cited these facts.

11. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

If I may answer you,......

There is always an 'oppourtunity' to arrange a 'transfer fee'. The problem was the failure to communicate Openly & Clearly by one party. You know who.

BAM treats players by case to case basis because every case is different. This is the same in court of law or tribunal where every case is unique and the outcome never certain.

In This case... BAM really is trully the Judge, Jury & Excutioner... and TCS was a FAVOURITE player of the Chief Coach.

When someone you Favoured so much 'betrays' you,.... the CUT IS SO SO SO MUCH DEEPER ;)

12. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

The Malaysian Professional Player

Once upon a time, there was a young aspiring Malaysian badminton player. His Name was AliBabaCHAN (ABC for short)

ABC wanted to train badminton, but he had not enough badminton court. So he lost.
    So, Malaysia made more badminton courts.

ABC did not have any coach, so he lost again.
    So, Malaysia hired coahes.

ABC did not have ppl to train with properly so he lost.
    So, Malaysia made a national Training centre for youth until adult.

ABC could not afford to go for more international exposure, so he lost.
    So, Malaysia sent him to many more tournaments.

ABC still wasn't performing so could not earn enough to eat let alone pursue his badminton career.
    So, Malaysia gave them some allowance so that one day they can stand up right like true professionals.

ABC could not feel the INCENTIVE to become a CHAMPION, so never won any title or did well.
    So, Malaysia started a World Ranking & OLYMPIC Medal incentive scheme.

ABC still not happy with Incentive Programme, International Exposure, Allowance, National Training Centre BUT still has nothing to show for it.

I've cited Indonesia & China players. Fact is, Many budding players in Europe like England would trade places with Malaysian Project players as well.

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Just like the great, Napoleon, I was banished to the remote island of Elba. The rest as they say is history ;).

'LCW going downhill' thread' ... that gotta wait. I just sprung out of prison. Need to get a horse, a nice looking gunbelt with a quickdraw holster and a .44 caliber Scholfield. Cant ride into Boleh town unarmed, right?

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    oh
    is it
    how much u need to pay for ur car from those less than rm500?:rolleyes:
    how much u need to give to ur parent from those less than rm500?:rolleyes:
    u pay for ur hostel from the less than rm500?
    come on,tell us how u survive
    then i stop this issue
    yes,i say 2/3 year because i dont know what he face in bjss and before the back up squad.
    it was 7 years as u said.
    he didnt have this problem when he study in bjss,no car,no family burden.
    but now
    he is an adult. 23 years old already.;)

i would like to prove that tcs is not even the top 2 MOST send ms in squad.
    and the level of tournament also different.
    but bwf website not back to normal yet.
    i do discus this problem with kak helang before
    perhaps kak got save the data?:p

15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

What data? You just search for whole of 2008 can already. BWF site not up to date for long time.;)

16. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

TCS just won his match against Iskandar in Trengganu Open...........Will play LDR next....in QF

17. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Judging from the overwhleming response on your re-entry, you may want to consider printing some "Pemuda - top gun at BC Forum' T-shirts, could even outsell Taufik. Good sideline income though;)

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I thought..

..you had one of these below??..
    [​IMG]
    ;)

..it should be interesting to see a "tamer" Pemuda this time around..;)

19. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Why do you expect MAS to pay for an overseas trip for you as a student? You are not doing anything to glorify MAS. You are right there is no guarantee of success as a U graduate, just a hope and a safer path to a rewarding future than playing risky pro baddy. If you say, after 6 yrs and not expecting to make RM1K (I hope you meant per month, not per year:p:D), then I question what program you are in or you could be farting around doing pretty badly:p
    Better take up a trade to wok ‘chau kwai teow’ hopefully you be a pro and be your own boss, working when you wants to, not somebody tells you to. But if you are a lousy wok guy, then can ‘also tutup setor’ (close shop):D
    TCS, 23 yrs young now, was a teenager when BAM courted him and thinking of his future would be the last thing that matters. Proudly wearing a MAS jersey, smacking a racket in a game MAS is passionate about and maybe dreaming of some high flying stewardesses softly landing on his lap;) would be far more fun than the boring ritual of attending classes listening to some old fart lecturing exciting stuff on calculus, fluid mechanics and thermodynamics– exciting stuff indeed but enough to cause me severe headache even today:p
    For every Dato Lee, TH and LD, there are numerous Sairul, Yeoh KB, TCS who having the best time of their career building flew by, now realize their baddy career is fading and time running out, and hope to play elsewhere for better payday or find a landing pad to coach or sparring partner, in simple words, finding suckers willing to pay a fortune to learn to play a game that the monetary reward often does not match the time, investment and effort put in, damn risky business;)
    If the player is not book smart, then tempting pro baddy may have nothing to lose. Now, if TCS or those have-been turn out to be another Dato, LD or TH, there would be no complain for sure.
    With MAS desperately searching for a hero (if no next-LCW turns up in 2 yrs time, MAS baddy will be in the wilderness), endorsement, million $$$, bimmer, Datoship, lifetime pension, celebrity status....not bad incentive for any high school dropout in MAS and of course, the stewardess flying in to softly hum ‘sayang, sayang, cinta, cinta’ would be an icing on the cake…if you don’t like the icing, change another one, more waiting in line:p:D

#379 OneToughBirdie, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  20. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

That is exactly what I mean.

PPL & Parents especially, should NEVER treat badminton as a 'CAREER OPTION'.

Badminton is Chasing a Dream.

Chasing your DREAM is a PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT.

Very few ppl ARE GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO CHASE their DREAM.
    Even Less actually ACHIEVE their dream.

It's annoying to listen to a Privileged COMPLAIN when there are so many others stuck in much tougher predicaments.

Stop blaming others and giving excuses. Everyone is responsible for the decisions the make for themselves and their children. Even if They themselves are still children.